Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HPI Hellfire SS Kit Build & Long Term Review

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 08:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

It looks pretty darn good considering it's your first try!
Old 08-30-2007, 10:14 PM
r/t
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the compliment MadHacker.
Old 09-02-2007, 08:20 AM
Tech Rookie

Madhacker, I totally agree with you about the SS. I had a Jammin last year and it felt "lazy" compared to how the SS handles. I'm sure I'll catch some flak for that statement.... The last race I was at, I was running third when the leader came up to lap me. I did the right thing and let him go, but I took the opportunity to try and hang with his Losi to compare my truck to his and see where I was losing ground. Found out I was losing ground in the driving department. I hung with him with about 2 min. to go. I passed him twice going into tight corners. A testament to what the steering clearence mods will do for you. When I clipped a pipe a few times is when he opened up the gap and started to get away again. Oh well. I run the Savage X SS diffs and have had no problems with the drivetrain. My only durabilty issue was a bent front shock shaft, and pins backing out of the flywheel. Otherwise, I've had no broken parts. More then a few of the Losi guys seem to be blowing out $100 throttle servos. Too much chassis flex going through the servo mount tray. And this wasn't one guy, it was 3 differnet guys. The SS gets a bad rap because of $20 diffs, and nobody say's a word about $100 servo's in the Losi. Seem's like the SS is a perrty cheap truck to maintain to me. I tried 30wt. oil in all four shocks and white rear and blue front springs. Truck was planted and very responsive. I'm gonna try same springs next round with 30 rear and 35 front. One last thing, before I got my SS, i borrowed a Mugen MB5XT from a buddy, and I now have my lap times with the SS equal to the Mugens... Good racing, my next round is the KAOS series on the 8th. I'll let you know how it goes, our last big race netted 40 truggies. I hope we get the same turnout so I can really see how the SS will fare. I got the Mugen to 12th, so We'll see.
Old 09-02-2007, 12:26 PM
Tech Elite

Yeah, the truck just isn't as bad as everyone says. From what I've learned this summer, it's actually pretty good. Every truggy has it's flaws, even the awesome Xray XT8, but the Hellfire doesn't seem to have any more or less than anything else. It's only flaw is that it doesn't have a factory driver racing at higher levels to get the Hellfire name in the A Main at major races.

I would have to agree that with most of us, it won't be the Hellfire holding us back... it'll be driving skill and amount of practice.

Let us know how the race goes man!
Old 09-03-2007, 01:45 PM
Tech Adept

I finished today about 20 Bronze servo savers. So if anyone wants one PM me and I wil get back. They will cost 8 euro ex shipping.

mzl Hellsavage
Old 09-03-2007, 03:11 PM
Tech Rookie

Finally got some pics done. SS with Axail .281S and JP3 pipe.
Attached Thumbnails HPI Hellfire SS Kit Build & Long Term Review-skyjack3_sm.jpg   HPI Hellfire SS Kit Build & Long Term Review-skyjack1_sm.jpg  
Old 09-03-2007, 08:45 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Hey hellsavage how much is that in USD?
Old 09-04-2007, 09:53 AM
Tech Elite

Try this handy tool for currency conversion...

http://pages.ebay.ca/services/buyand...converter.html
Old 09-04-2007, 09:55 AM
Tech Elite

That would work out to about $10.89 US. That's a pretty darn good price for a custom specialty part made in very small quantities on an expensive CNC machine. I think Hellsavage is probably just charging for the materials guys, we should all feel honoured to have him on our thread!
Old 09-04-2007, 10:59 AM
Tech Adept

Old 09-05-2007, 08:46 AM
Tech Apprentice

First of all, thx this tread. Its the reason that I have bought a hellfire . Then the question: Here in denmark (where I am from) I am able to buy some 1mm thick carbon fiber plate. Then i thought that maybe I can glue them together with epoxi, to get a 3-4mm plate to make upperdeck and so on by my self.
Do anyone know if thats possible?
Old 09-05-2007, 01:16 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

sure it's possible. It wont be as strong as a piece that is 3mm-4mm. The layers are combine using tons of pressure normally. You can check on ebay for 3mm carbon fiber. I've seen pieces on there before.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:11 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I actually think that one of the problems with the Hellfire is that it's to stiff..I know that a stiff chassis is good but I have noticed that other truggys do have some flex built into them. The stiffer the chassis the harder it is to get the suspension set up correctly. This would also explain the bent shock towers on the RTR Hellfire and the bent suspension blocks, on big jumps the energy has to be transferred somewhere and if the chassis has almost no flex then the mounts and towers bear the force..I really think the stock upper deck is fine, an idea would be to use the 1mm carbon fiber on top of the stock top deck..On my Hellfire I do have the speed tech 3mm carbon fiber top deck and did bend a few 4mm suspension mounts..but it does look cool..lol
Old 09-06-2007, 09:27 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Oasis
I actually think that one of the problems with the Hellfire is that it's to stiff..I know that a stiff chassis is good but I have noticed that other truggys do have some flex built into them. The stiffer the chassis the harder it is to get the suspension set up correctly. This would also explain the bent shock towers on the RTR Hellfire and the bent suspension blocks, on big jumps the energy has to be transferred somewhere and if the chassis has almost no flex then the mounts and towers bear the force..I really think the stock upper deck is fine, an idea would be to use the 1mm carbon fiber on top of the stock top deck..On my Hellfire I do have the speed tech 3mm carbon fiber top deck and did bend a few 4mm suspension mounts..but it does look cool..lol
Yes, it is a very stiff chassis compared to other truggies. There are drawbacks to having a more pliable chassis though... as I've observed at our local track while racing this summer... some of the problems I've seen are broken fuel tanks, and stripped clutchbells/spur gears due to chassis flex. These are things that Hellfire owners don't have to worry about.

As you all know, there really is no perfect design, there's always a sacrifice somewhere. If you want a stiff chassis, you're right, the engery has to go somewhere and it'll likely bend something. If you want a softer chassis... things don't stay lined up in a crash and you still end up with broken stuff... A stiff chassis (in theory) will be harder to setup suspension wise, but it will also be more responsive on the track. A softer chassis will be a bit more forgiving, and possibly easier to set up, but ohhhh the broken fuel tanks I've seen this summer from chassis flex! LOL! I guess the decision is what individuals prefer.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:30 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ThomasGorski
First of all, thx this tread. Its the reason that I have bought a hellfire . Then the question: Here in denmark (where I am from) I am able to buy some 1mm thick carbon fiber plate. Then i thought that maybe I can glue them together with epoxi, to get a 3-4mm plate to make upperdeck and so on by my self.
Do anyone know if thats possible?
Hi Thomas, thanks for stopping by and posting here! I hope you bought the Hellfire SS kit, this is the version of the Hellfire that this thread is based on. (not the Hellfire RTR)

Regarding using carbon fiber on the upper deck in place of the aluminum, it will probably make the Hellfire chassis a bit more flexible. This might be a good thing, depending on what your preferences are.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.