Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HPI Hellfire SS Kit Build & Long Term Review

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 11:49 AM
Tech Adept

@TGA78
Put thikker oil in the front shocks 35 will work but it seems to like 40 best front and rear.
Put the 1.6 piston al around.
U will not be dissapointed.

mzl Hellsavage
Old 06-30-2007, 12:39 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

For a kit that everybody keeps telling me no one runs, or is obsolete or can't keep up with other truggies, this thread is doing pretty well.

Keep it up you guys.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TGA78
Yea the local hobby shop has a JR digital servo with 300 torque and .16 speed at 6v so with a 5 cell RX pack it should work rather well, the $100 price tag huts a little though. Not sure what digital servo I will get for the throttle/break.
I'm using a hitec 5925 for the throttle brake. The 5925 has been my favorite servo for years. Unfortunately, that particular servo is no longer being made by hitec and the replacements don't have the same specs :-(

Last edited by MadHacker; 03-04-2009 at 09:45 PM.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:25 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jon123
For a kit that everybody keeps telling me no one runs, or is obsolete or can't keep up with other truggies, this thread is doing pretty well.

Keep it up you guys.
Thanks man!

By the end of this summer we should know without a doubt how the Hellfire SS kit stacks up against other truggies in real race situations. So far, it's not doing all that bad.
Old 07-01-2007, 08:04 PM
Tech Adept

About the only thing I have left to do on my hellfire build is to put the shocks together. I picked up some AE 30wt and 40wt shock oil that I am going to try. I also picked up a JR DS8611a servo for the steering (320 oz/in and 0.15 at 6v).

Everything else I need for the break in should be here before next weekend. I decided to run the stock HPI diff oil for the break in since I don’t think I will ever use it for anything else.

The only thing I really need to find still before the break in is so heat shrink tube for the CVD’s. Though I still haven’t come up with a good parking lot tire solution. I would also like to order some clutch accessories but I am not sure what to look for shoe and spring wise. And are these the clutch bells for the hellfire? http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLST6&P=0

Thanks
Old 07-01-2007, 10:13 PM
Tech Elite

Well, I finished my first official race of the summer today. The Hellfire took a beating as I am very rusty. It held together very well (didn't break anything, other than a lower shock mount screw falling out).

My only complaint was lack of steering :-(

I'm going to keep working on this truck to see if I can get more steering out of it. I sat it next to an Xray truggy, and they have the same amount of steering throw, but the Xray turns much better, so it's obviously a setup issue.

The adjustments that I posted earlier in this thread do help, but the truck still isn't on par with the other truggies I raced against today as far as steering (Ofna CRT, Xray XT8, Kyosho STR, etc...).
Old 07-02-2007, 12:38 AM
Tech Adept

@Madhacker
What place did U finish?
On the steering thing. I found out that the servo saver is a bit on the poor side. When it comes to straingt. I put the truck on the floor (pavement wich is smooth). Then steer all to one side. Give a little bit of gas. U will see the weel willing to go a little straight. if U adjust the steering end point on your remote and steer to one side adjust til it hits the end. U will see the servo saver bend a little.
when U drive with this adjustment U will se U have more steer.
Conclusion the servo saver is to week fore this car.
I hade the same this weekend.
Hope this workes.

mzl Hellsavage
Old 07-02-2007, 01:03 AM
Tech Adept

@TGA78
Here is a pic of my cvd sollution. It is a plastic ring with the dimentions 16mm outside 14.1mm inside and 4mm in length.
I pressed it over the pin and did not have no problem at all.

mzl Hellsavage
Attached Thumbnails HPI Hellfire SS Kit Build & Long Term Review-herschaalde-kopie-van-1179601649_95_ft0_pic_0267.jpg  
Old 07-02-2007, 03:31 PM
Tech Adept

Honestly I would really love to put some boots on my CVD’s. Since a boot should keep the pin from falling out and allow me to grease up the CVD’s and not have to worry about dirt.

I have another question about the truck. I believe the manual was telling me to put grease on the back side of my out drives, and the axle shafts going in to them. I don’t remember ever seeing that recommended for any other kit I have built. I personally decided against it but I am wondering what the rest of you have done. I have always tried to use the least amount of grease I can in a build since it loves to collect dirt.

Last edited by TGA78; 07-02-2007 at 04:10 PM.
Old 07-02-2007, 03:57 PM
Tech Elite

I tried boots on my Savage. They were always tearing, so the grease would get all dirty. Personally, I found them to be a pain.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:00 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Hellsavage
@Madhacker
What place did U finish?
On the steering thing. I found out that the servo saver is a bit on the poor side. When it comes to straingt. I put the truck on the floor (pavement wich is smooth). Then steer all to one side. Give a little bit of gas. U will see the weel willing to go a little straight. if U adjust the steering end point on your remote and steer to one side adjust til it hits the end. U will see the servo saver bend a little.
when U drive with this adjustment U will se U have more steer.
Conclusion the servo saver is to week fore this car.
I hade the same this weekend.
Hope this workes.

mzl Hellsavage
I'll look into the servo saver and see if I'm having this problem.

I wasn't keeping track of my place, I was just trying to get that darn thing to make the corners! LOL. I definitely wasn't in the top three. LOL!
Old 07-02-2007, 04:17 PM
Tech Adept

Hmm, do you think the larger suspension travel of the MT might have had something to do with the torn boots? I don’t suppose you know what boots you were using?
Old 07-02-2007, 04:18 PM
Tech Adept

How about this for a shockboot

mzl Hellsavage
Attached Thumbnails HPI Hellfire SS Kit Build & Long Term Review-1182972209_69_ft3165_dsc02295.jpg  
Old 07-02-2007, 04:56 PM
Tech Adept

Looks like part of a balloon. Do they interfere with the shocks at all
Old 07-02-2007, 11:01 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by TGA78
Hmm, do you think the larger suspension travel of the MT might have had something to do with the torn boots? I don’t suppose you know what boots you were using?
Yeah, it could have been due to the suspension travel. The boots were ones I bought off ebay. "RC Best" from Taiwan. If you perhaps find some better quality ones, they might last. The boots I got lasted maybe 10 tanks of fuel then started to fatigue and develop holes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.