Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
8ight owners, How often do you replace your diff cases? >

8ight owners, How often do you replace your diff cases?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

8ight owners, How often do you replace your diff cases?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 06:37 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default 8ight owners, How often do you replace your diff cases?

A buddy of mine that is a Losi freak told me I should inspect and replace my rear diff case after a gallon or two. Said that the cross pins eat into the case. I have about 4 gallons on my 8ight so I pulled it apart and it looked new... Im thinking a lot of it has to do with driving style..

So how often if at all do you guys replace your diff cases?
Old 05-03-2008, 06:58 AM
Tech Rookie

Default hummm

Well it's a tossup,they will start to turn eventually but you can just upgrade to the HD diff's now and save the trouble.
Old 05-03-2008, 07:06 AM
Tech Apprentice

I have replaced my diffs to the HD Diffs. The only time that I had a problem is the center diff on my buggy. If your diffs look new, just change the fluid and check for wear on the gears. HD diffs are well worth the money for the upgrade. Good luck dude.
Old 05-03-2008, 07:18 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I inspect them whenever I change diff fluids. That is about every few races, or if i feel them becoming notchy. I havent eaten too many personally. They seem to last me more than a gallon, but I know people that eat them much more often. I think driving style has lots to do with it also. Just inspect the case, where the spider gear pins ride. If you see them starting to notch, swap them out. Next time I will use the new cases, and that should eliminate the problem.
Old 05-03-2008, 07:30 AM
Tech Regular

+1 on the new HEAVY DUTY diffs. They should last a long long time. My back one is the only one I've had to replace.
Old 05-03-2008, 09:49 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I know this will sound far out there, but i'm at the 15 gallon mark on my buggy and I'm due for replacing the rear diffs on my buggy. The center and front are still new looking. But since the new HD diff are here I'll be putting them in. In the Losi 8ight thread there was talk about different plastic mixtures being used. Seems the first six months the diff were real tough. But the plastic being used after that didn't seem to be a tough. IDK. My diffs are from Nov. 2006 when I first bought the buggy. I started off bashing for a couple months and then went right into racing only.
Old 05-03-2008, 10:03 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by air8
I know this will sound far out there, but i'm at the 15 gallon mark on my buggy and I'm due for replacing the rear diffs on my buggy. The center and front are still new looking. But since the new HD diff are here I'll be putting them in. In the Losi 8ight thread there was talk about different plastic mixtures being used. Seems the first six months the diff were real tough. But the plastic being used after that didn't seem to be a tough. IDK. My diffs are from Nov. 2006 when I first bought the buggy. I started off bashing for a couple months and then went right into racing only.
WOW, 15 gallons? I got about two out of my rear in the 8T. Heavyduty will take care of that
Old 05-03-2008, 10:37 AM
Nik
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I bought my car in July of 07 and still use the original diffs.
Old 05-03-2008, 10:52 AM
Tech Fanatic

Yea, it has to be how people land jumps... ie, if you land with the throttle open its obviously going to be harder on everything.
Old 05-03-2008, 10:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

You guys are lucky. I haven't used the HD cases yet, but am going to put them in today. I get around ONE race day out of the diffs. I guarantee they are shimmed correctly, as they feel VERY smooth for a gear diff. Usually I have been having to replace 1-2 diffs every race day, VERY rarely all 3. The HD cases will fix this, but the Losi is going to be sold very shortly as my 808 is coming in on Tuesday. I have had my 8ight for a little over a year now.
Old 05-03-2008, 10:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by rezenclowd3
You guys are lucky. I haven't used the HD cases yet, but am going to put them in today. I get around ONE race day out of the diffs. I guarantee they are shimmed correctly, as they feel VERY smooth for a gear diff. Usually I have been having to replace 1-2 diffs every race day, VERY rarely all 3. The HD cases will fix this, but the Losi is going to be sold very shortly as my 808 is coming in on Tuesday. I have had my 8ight for a little over a year now.
How on earth??
Old 05-03-2008, 12:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Furadi
How on earth??
I asked the same thing a few months ago. Rezenclowd just has too much power I think. LOL. J/K.
Old 05-03-2008, 01:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by air8
I asked the same thing a few months ago. Rezenclowd just has too much power I think. LOL. J/K.
I asked myself the same questions guys. Believe me, it has frustrated me, but over time I came to accept it. There are a few jumps that it is best to land on power, and it is a high traction track, but still, the diffs should hold up longer than that. In no way do I regret owning the 8ight. I have loved its driving style, the lack of needing to change much when changing tracks, and the ease of maintenance. I know the HD diffs will fix any problems for the new buyer. Back to tearing it down and cleaning it for the new owner....
Old 05-03-2008, 01:54 PM
Tech Addict

I got about 1.5-2 gallons on my stock Losi center diff cases before I needed to change them. I would recommend the HD cases for sure. That notching will take you out of a race for sure! If the car feels really loose its time to check them.
Old 05-03-2008, 05:22 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

should i put the hd case on the front diff to or just the centre and the rear

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.