Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Thinking about switching brands, need advice... >

Thinking about switching brands, need advice...

Thinking about switching brands, need advice...

Old 05-10-2010, 05:02 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Cool Thinking about switching brands, need advice...

Ok, currently I'm running an XRay XB8 TQ, but I recently found out that I have a kid on the way, and need to try and save some money (hard in this hobby, I know! ). Don't get me wrong, I love my XRay, but the parts side is a BIT pricey (all you XRay guys know what I'm talking about). I've been looking into the MBX-6 M-Spec pretty heavily. Anybody have any other suggestions as far as rollers? I already have all the electronics, motor/pipe, starter box, etc; I just can't afford the parts upkeep for the XRay anymore. I willing to entertain any suggestions, just not the ones that say "Buy ________ and never look back". I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons, right now, as well as sell the idea to my wife that I can save some money on this hooby with the baby on the way, because if not, one of em has to go, and it ain't gonna be my kid! Thanks again guys, I've always gotten really good advice/help here and hoping it doesn't end!
Old 05-10-2010, 05:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)

You're not gonna save any money by switching brands the parts for that Xray you have are gonna be cheaper than the mugen parts since it's a older buggy and nobody runs that buggy anymore, sounds like you just want a different buggy if you buy a mugen the parts are not gonna be any cheaper
Old 05-10-2010, 05:24 AM
Tech Adept

You do make a valid point, Jammin57, but like most people know, there aren't many hobby shops that stock a good quantity of XRay parts, so 9 times out of 10, I have to find the part online, hope that they have it in stock, and pay for the shipping, so in the end, I end up having to wait exponetially longer and still paying the same, if not more, than if I had walked into the hobby shop and bought the Mugen part off the rack and continued to support my LHS.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:36 AM
Tech Master

Hello, If you really want to save money check out the Hotbodies D8
Old 05-10-2010, 05:40 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RC-ZOMBIE
Hello, If you really want to save money check out the Hotbodies D8
+1...I run Mugen but I have to say the HB D8 offers a killer value for the dollar....
Old 05-10-2010, 06:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

the HB is a great car no doubt but I wonder if the wear factor doesnt make the Mugen cheaper? I know everyone is different and some get 100 gallons on a d8 and never replaced a single part.. But since I have run both buggies I think the cost factor might be really close.
the nice thing with the mspec is it can be ran and EXTREMELY competitive literally out of the box without touching it. Whoever is building the mspecs is taking the time.
just my thoughts
Old 05-10-2010, 06:28 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I've owned and raced Mugen, (buggy) Losi, (buggy) OFNA (ummm... old one that barely counts... buggy) and Jammin (buggy AND truggy.) Yes, XRAY parts cost more... but you don't have to replace them as often... especially expensive drivetrain parts! (Although the Mugen isn't bad.)
Old 05-10-2010, 07:12 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Wow, this is a million dollar question, with a million different answers. Basically the same thing I asked just a few months ago when I decided to get back into rc and wanted a buggy. I live and race on an extremely tight budget since our president cut the defense budget and I was laidoff.
I decided to go with a losi because of the whole cost issue. Every lhs seems to have parts if something would break. I can absolutely back the toughness of the 2.0 because I can't drive for poo, and I wreck a lot. I mean a lot. And knock on wood I have yet to break, bend anything. So there is a cost reduction in itself. I know I only run the rtr, because it came with everything for $600. Couldn't beat that.
Seems like you basically already want the mugen. Can't go wrong there. My only advice would be to spend some time in each of the vehicles threads and read on some of the issues associated with them. But basically they all gonna have a few issues.
MUGE0150 Mugen Rear Lower Suspension Arm $14.25
HBS67381 Hot Bodies Rear Suspension Arm Set $9.49
KYOIF423 Kyosho Rear Lower Suspension Arms $11.25
LOSA1725 Losi Rear Suspension Arms (8ight 2.0) $12.75
XRA353122 XRAY Rear TQ Lower Suspension Arm (Left) $5.99 XRA353112 XRAY Rear TQ Lower Suspension Arm (Right) $5.99

Wow, think I want a D8 now...lol
Old 05-10-2010, 07:26 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks for all the replies guys, I am well aware of the fact that each buggy, be it Mugen, XRay, Losi, HB, etc has there own little quirks and what not. I am all for going for the best balance of durability and parts availablity for the kit. I'm in the same boat as far as Cloud9, in the driving aspect, so durability is a must. I think right now it's a toss up between either the Mugen or the Losi, because prety much every hobby shop I have been to has a really good selection of parts for each brand. I know a few guys at my local track that run Losi and Mugen, maybe I can get some track time with each of them and see which one suits my style. Thanks again for all the input on this matter, I knew when I asked it was going to be a loaded question!
Old 05-10-2010, 07:30 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by cloud9graffix
Wow, this is a million dollar question, with a million different answers. Basically the same thing I asked just a few months ago when I decided to get back into rc and wanted a buggy. I live and race on an extremely tight budget since our president cut the defense budget and I was laidoff.
I decided to go with a losi because of the whole cost issue. Every lhs seems to have parts if something would break. I can absolutely back the toughness of the 2.0 because I can't drive for poo, and I wreck a lot. I mean a lot. And knock on wood I have yet to break, bend anything. So there is a cost reduction in itself. I know I only run the rtr, because it came with everything for $600. Couldn't beat that.
Seems like you basically already want the mugen. Can't go wrong there. My only advice would be to spend some time in each of the vehicles threads and read on some of the issues associated with them. But basically they all gonna have a few issues.
MUGE0150 Mugen Rear Lower Suspension Arm $14.25
HBS67381 Hot Bodies Rear Suspension Arm Set $9.49
KYOIF423 Kyosho Rear Lower Suspension Arms $11.25
LOSA1725 Losi Rear Suspension Arms (8ight 2.0) $12.75
XRA353122 XRAY Rear TQ Lower Suspension Arm (Left) $5.99 XRA353112 XRAY Rear TQ Lower Suspension Arm (Right) $5.99

Wow, think I want a D8 now...lol
Yeah, D8 is my next one, Ive been Associated for life kinda guy and been with them since early eighties. Especially in this economy you cant beat it the price... $289 D8 and $479 RC8B doesn't take a rocket scientist LOL. However you can't go wrong with any of them
Old 05-10-2010, 07:32 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JarheadRCGuy
Ok, currently I'm running an XRay XB8 TQ, but I recently found out that I have a kid on the way, and need to try and save some money (hard in this hobby, I know! ). Don't get me wrong, I love my XRay, but the parts side is a BIT pricey (all you XRay guys know what I'm talking about). I've been looking into the MBX-6 M-Spec pretty heavily. Anybody have any other suggestions as far as rollers? I already have all the electronics, motor/pipe, starter box, etc; I just can't afford the parts upkeep for the XRay anymore. I willing to entertain any suggestions, just not the ones that say "Buy ________ and never look back". I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons, right now, as well as sell the idea to my wife that I can save some money on this hooby with the baby on the way, because if not, one of em has to go, and it ain't gonna be my kid! Thanks again guys, I've always gotten really good advice/help here and hoping it doesn't end!
Congratulations on the new arrival, and thanks for serving our country.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:53 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JarheadRCGuy
Thanks for all the replies guys, I am well aware of the fact that each buggy, be it Mugen, XRay, Losi, HB, etc has there own little quirks and what not. I am all for going for the best balance of durability and parts availablity for the kit. I'm in the same boat as far as Cloud9, in the driving aspect, so durability is a must. I think right now it's a toss up between either the Mugen or the Losi, because prety much every hobby shop I have been to has a really good selection of parts for each brand. I know a few guys at my local track that run Losi and Mugen, maybe I can get some track time with each of them and see which one suits my style. Thanks again for all the input on this matter, I knew when I asked it was going to be a loaded question!
The Mugen is a really good choice, if you get the truggy get plenty of lower front a arms. from what i seen,the buggy is dialed. I rarley see those break. now with losi i cant remember the last time i seen one break(buggy or truggy) other then people upgrade to the adjustable hinge pin brace and they break the inserts. both are really good choices. i would like to go mugen if they fixed the front aarm issue
Old 05-10-2010, 07:53 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

DOMIT has it right. There are buggies out there that have some cheaper parts prices but it really doesn't work out that way. The Xray will out wear all of those 3 to 1 and you really will spend less on parts. The other thing to consider is that you'll be lucky to sell it for $150, the new car will be $500 (or ~$350-400 if you buy used) so you will have invested a couple hundred bucks to spend less on parts. Like buying a Prius to save on gas when your old car was in good shape and paid for.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:10 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Davidka
DOMIT has it right. There are buggies out there that have some cheaper parts prices but it really doesn't work out that way. The Xray will out wear all of those 3 to 1 and you really will spend less on parts. The other thing to consider is that you'll be lucky to sell it for $150, the new car will be $500 (or ~$350-400 if you buy used) so you will have invested a couple hundred bucks to spend less on parts. Like buying a Prius to save on gas when your old car was in good shape and paid for.
Very well said. You're post might actually have been the deciding vote. I'm pretty sure that if I just bite down and get some new parts for my current rig (I bought it used) to replace all the ones that were worn out when I got it, I will save a lot in the long run. Again, thanks for all your input on this matter.

RC-Zombie; thanks for the congrats and not a problem for the service, just doing my part man!
Old 05-10-2010, 08:14 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

i would also go with the d8 i switched from the losi 8ight 2.0 to a hot bodies
d8 and i love it more than my losi and the parts are cheaper to

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.