Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

CEN Matrix TR

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 06:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

woops!!!.. Gene you caught me goin backwards again.. Now if I could just figure out where the finish line is!!!!!!!...
Old 12-15-2007, 08:02 PM
Tech Apprentice

I picked up some hardened steel Diff Cross Pin kit off of eBay about a month ago and I finally got around to installing them today. My problem is I can not get the diffs apart in my Matrix TR RTR. Did they use a red lock tight?

I have heard about putting items that have red lock in the oven. My question is how long I bake the diffs for and at what temp.

Home depot sells a min blow torch for like 20 bucks would this is easer or more dangerious.
Old 12-16-2007, 07:14 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by SavageSpawn
I picked up some hardened steel Diff Cross Pin kit off of eBay about a month ago and I finally got around to installing them today. My problem is I can not get the diffs apart in my Matrix TR RTR. Did they use a red lock tight?

I have heard about putting items that have red lock in the oven. My question is how long I bake the diffs for and at what temp.

Home depot sells a min blow torch for like 20 bucks would this is easer or more dangerious.
Savage, if yuo have a hot soldering iron just hold it on each screw until they heat up, did try to get it out while the screw is still hot. I have a electric stove, so I just sit the diff on the hot element for 30 second it works perfect
Old 12-16-2007, 06:10 PM
Tech Apprentice

My soldering iron must be a piece of crap so I ended up baking the diffs at 500 degrees for about 7 minutes each. I ended up stripping one screw. I used my Dremed and got it out. So I'm going to try 80wt gear oil in the front with no cross pins. 30,000 in the center and 3000wt in the rear with cross pins.
Old 12-19-2007, 03:41 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Clutch Question

Guys,

I've totalled my clutch shoes and I need some help. I'm hoping you can answer some questions for me:

* Whats the difference between shorter and longer clutch springs (gold/black etc)?

* Whats the operating difference is there between the carbon and the Aluminum clutch shoes (faster or harder engage etc)?

* You can get more or less teeth on the bell housing, what do more or teeth do?

* Are the clutches, the shoes, springs and the bell housings universal?

* Is there any maintenance that has to be done on the bell housing. Mine isn't really smooth inside after the clutch shoes busted in half. I'm wondering if it needs to be grinded smooth with a dremel or someting?

* I read somewhere that you shouldn't go between Aluminium and Carbon shoes on the same bell housing because of a coating that the carbon deposits on the inside of the bell housing?

* A lot of people seem to use 2 springs of one type, and one spring of another type. This makes sense more or less, in that one shoe engages quicker than the others, is this the reason, is there anything else to it?

I think thats about it for now. I know its a lot of questions, but you guys are really on the ball and have been fantastic in the help department so far.

Jase
Old 12-19-2007, 11:45 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Thorin
Guys,

I've totalled my clutch shoes and I need some help. I'm hoping you can answer some questions for me:

* Whats the difference between shorter and longer clutch springs (gold/black etc)? Black is 1.0 and gold is 1.1 (get the gold)

* Whats the operating difference is there between the carbon and the Aluminum clutch shoes (faster or harder engage etc)? Alum does not slip

* You can get more or less teeth on the bell housing, what do more or teeth do? More teeth=higher top speed

* Are the clutches, the shoes, springs and the bell housings universal? No

* Is there any maintenance that has to be done on the bell housing. Mine isn't really smooth inside after the clutch shoes busted in half. I'm wondering if it needs to be grinded smooth with a dremel or someting? Not realy needed if you use alum shoes

* I read somewhere that you shouldn't go between Aluminium and Carbon shoes on the same bell housing because of a coating that the carbon deposits on the inside of the bell housing? Correct, it will eat up the carbon shoes.

* A lot of people seem to use 2 springs of one type, and one spring of another type. This makes sense more or less, in that one shoe engages quicker than the others, is this the reason, is there anything else to it? That is correct, softer engagement

I think thats about it for now. I know its a lot of questions, but you guys are really on the ball and have been fantastic in the help department so far.

Jase
Old 12-19-2007, 02:16 PM
Tech Master

Guys,

* Whats the difference between shorter and longer clutch springs (gold/black etc)? softer earlier engagement
.. .. .9 middle 1.0. latest hardest 1.1..
* Whats the operating difference is there between the carbon and the Aluminum clutch shoes (faster or harder engage etc)?

aluminum wears a bit slower but requires more maintenance.. checking for splitting in beetween rounds or atleast before a main.. .. alum usually has stronger grab.. but depends on which .. hardness of shoe you buy..
Carbon good for bashing.. and learning.. less maintenance.. cheaper to maintain.. once you go alum.. you rarely go back... both if maintained are usually good for atleast a gallon.. sometimes I get more on alum.. but not often.. usually replaced for peace of mind!!..
* You can get more or less teeth on the bell housing, what do more or teeth do? more teeth on bell faster top end less bottom... vice versa..

* Are the clutches, the shoes, springs and the bell housings universal?

For the most part shoes springs. and bells can be interchangeable... really kinda hit or miss..
* Is there any maintenance that has to be done on the bell housing. Mine isn't really smooth inside after the clutch shoes busted in half. I'm wondering if it needs to be grinded smooth with a dremel or someting?
.. whenever cleaning i always check clutch.. always sand bell before assembly.. or whenever possible.. ( i use dremel to save time..)
* I read somewhere that you shouldn't go between Aluminium and Carbon shoes on the same bell housing because of a coating that the carbon deposits on the inside of the bell housing?
running carbons and alum on same bell is True but i do it all the time.. who has money to buy two bells of each tooth you run.. ??/ I just sand em out if carbons were in there.. but rarely ever run the carbons.. only really keep em for spares if im in a pinch...*

A lot of people seem to use 2 springs of one type, and one spring of another type. This makes sense more or less, in that one shoe engages quicker than the others, is this the reason, is there anything else to it?

yup.. gives a less rippy clutch with quicker wear on one shoe.. benefits easier to drive.. down fall wears one shoe down quicker.. if your replacin one.. your replacin all of em at $20 a set.. I like to get full use....

Jase
Old 12-20-2007, 01:03 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the clutch info. I've gone with the Al clutch shoes and cleaned up the bell housings, and am using the spare gold springs I had. Previously I was using the gold springs with the blue shoes (cant find them anywhere) so this should do the job well.

I know Robert had the OFNA Super big bore shocks installed, I'm wondering how they went. Mine works I'm just not all that satisfied with the performance I am getting from them. Anyone else used these super big bore shocks? Any issues with installation? Will they install onto the posts that are supplied and fit into the CNC shock towers?

Jase
Old 12-20-2007, 08:38 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Thorin
Thanks for the clutch info. I've gone with the Al clutch shoes and cleaned up the bell housings, and am using the spare gold springs I had. Previously I was using the gold springs with the blue shoes (cant find them anywhere) so this should do the job well.

I know Robert had the OFNA Super big bore shocks installed, I'm wondering how they went. Mine works I'm just not all that satisfied with the performance I am getting from them. Anyone else used these super big bore shocks? Any issues with installation? Will they install onto the posts that are supplied and fit into the CNC shock towers?

Jase
The Jammin Super Bore shocks work awesome. I'm running 50 wt. losi in the front and 40 wt losi in the rear with the blue springs. The gray spring also work great with the same set-up.

Just use the stand-offs that come with the super bore, there will be no modifications needed.
Old 12-20-2007, 12:26 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Kyosho bodies

Will the Proline bodies for the Kyosho ST-R and 777 fit well on the Matrix TR and the buggy? Trying to negotiate a deal for these.
Old 12-20-2007, 03:33 PM
Tech Master

I have the CEN blue alum shoes in stock.
[email protected]
Old 12-22-2007, 06:32 PM
Tech Master

Gene or Andrew..
Is there going to be anyone representing CEN at Motorama this year.. Last year Chris Systma took the win!!..
Gene I love to see you make it but from FL its a haul up to PA..

>> Tracks gunna be awesome they put some cads of it up on tech talk..

anyone else who is within a few hrs of here.. this will be a good race.!!.
http://www.motoramaevents.com/motor_index.php go here for sign ups..
Old 12-23-2007, 08:51 PM
Tech Apprentice

I went to the track on Friday and killed the one way bearing in my Cen Matrix TR RTR pre OS engine. My question can I just buy a starter box to start the RTR engine and just leave the pull start in tact? I don’t want to deal with one way bearings.
Old 12-24-2007, 12:02 AM
Tech Initiate

I totalled the pull start on my OS30. I just removed the spring and most of the cord from the pullstart, and sealed the hole where the cord comes out. Have checked it since and there is no dirt at all in there, and there would only be a very minimal amount of drag as a result.

Jase
Old 12-24-2007, 10:59 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rregl0612
Gene or Andrew..
Is there going to be anyone representing CEN at Motorama this year.. Last year Chris Systma took the win!!..
Gene I love to see you make it but from FL its a haul up to PA..

>> Tracks gunna be awesome they put some cads of it up on tech talk..

anyone else who is within a few hrs of here.. this will be a good race.!!.
http://www.motoramaevents.com/motor_index.php go here for sign ups..
We need info on the race 1st. please e-mail

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.