Losi 8ight building and setup

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Losi 8ight building and setup

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 03:02 PM
Tech Initiate

hay guys are the O.S Speed Tuned 21VZ-B V-Spec Engine worth the xtra cash over the 21VZ-B V-Spec Engine or what engine would you use for the same money as the standered v spec give or take? what do you run?
Old 06-17-2008, 03:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Our local "club pro" Wayne Mah, just kicked all our asses @ the Alberta (Canada) RC Pro race with a bone stock v-spec & a 2050 pipe. I have heard that the crank on the stock v-spec is lighter and as a result it has a better bottom end. However, the carb is very sensative. I believe the os speed version has a better carb. He's on his 3rd gallon and the engine is still good. It's not a terrible idea to replace the stock bearings with ceramic.

Again, ask 10 people this question and you will probably get 10 different opinions.

Later,
Old 06-17-2008, 04:38 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by bloodrush
hay guys are the O.S Speed Tuned 21VZ-B V-Spec Engine worth the xtra cash over the 21VZ-B V-Spec Engine or what engine would you use for the same money as the standered v spec give or take? what do you run?
OS Speed definetly worth every penny. I have 2. The first one has about 20 Gallons thru it and the second is about 5 gallons. Both work supperb. Great gas mileage barely have to touch the tune.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:47 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by bloodrush
OS Speed definetly worth every penny. I have 2. The first one has about 20 Gallons thru it and the second is about 5 gallons. Both work supperb. Great gas mileage barely have to touch the tune.
Old 06-17-2008, 07:11 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I'm brand new to Losi , after using my trusty HoBao for the past year, and I love it! I've started with the 8-T and am now about to order the 8ight, but I have two questions - which I hope someone can answer -

1 - What's the difference (except price) of the pro kit - and the race roller?
From reading everywhere on the net, the race roller is the same as the kit, just already (well) built from the Losi factory.

2 - Is there another clutch bell I can use, apart from the Losi one, which has a long enough teeth section to engage the spur gear? The reason being, I have a LOT of ceramic bearings here to suit a standard CB, but obviously the Losi one has the larger rear bearing. I did try to use a standard OFNA CB, but it didn't fully engage the spur.

Thanks guys.

M.
Old 06-17-2008, 07:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

i removed the motor tonight and took the clutch apart. the clutch really isnt bad at all to tear into. looks like i need to order some clutch shoes. i cant believe they only put 2 of them in the rtr kits. oh well. thanks to Lars for the info on the hot clutch set up. ill get this stuff ordered tonight and have it rolling again.

oh, anyone wanna buy an 8ight with a few spares that has less than a gallon ran through it? i like the nitro stuff...but im into the electric stuff more.
Old 06-17-2008, 07:59 PM
Tech Addict

Is that the RTR - non pro kit you're talking about dude?
Old 06-17-2008, 08:20 PM
Nik
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Marz

1 - What's the difference (except price) of the pro kit - and the race roller?
From reading everywhere on the net, the race roller is the same as the kit, just already (well) built from the Losi factory.

Thanks guys.

M.
the only difference is the tires and the setup. the roller comes with XBT's instead of step pins, and the setup is easier to drive. Other then that they are the same parts wise.

There are 3 models- the RTR, the Roller, and the Kit. The RTR has some lower quality parts (2 aluminum clutch shoes).
Old 06-17-2008, 08:25 PM
Tech Addict

Hey thanks mate.
After being well impressed with the 8ight T race roller, I've decided to order the 8ight race roller buggy too.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:43 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Integra
i got about 8-10 losi's local to me....only 1 had a rear diff lock up...and it was a 8x14x4 flanged....all he had to do was replace it and it was like brand new....and if it happened to 3 people on the same day...thats messed...i kinda find it hard to beleive....where are the pics of this supposed diff ?
I will snap a pic before I tear it down later today after I get off work...
Actually talking about it I found out 4 people had diffs blow on them at the race saturday... But one was a "Light duty" standard diff....
Old 06-18-2008, 05:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

yes, im talking about the RTR.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:01 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Marz
Hey thanks mate.
After being well impressed with the 8ight T race roller, I've decided to order the 8ight race roller buggy too.
Since you already decided to buy the roller, it will be wise to go over it just to check that everything is alright.
Old 06-18-2008, 02:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Hi guys i need some set up help. Im having problems with my buggy wanting to loop out around corners. On the gas or even just rolling quickly the back end just wants to do a 180 degree. Would i have to try different rear diff oils?
Old 06-18-2008, 07:45 PM
Nik
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by juzza99
Hi guys i need some set up help. Im having problems with my buggy wanting to loop out around corners. On the gas or even just rolling quickly the back end just wants to do a 180 degree. Would i have to try different rear diff oils?
thicker rear diff oil, and try a thicker rear/thinner front swaybar.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:54 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by cota348
Since you already decided to buy the roller, it will be wise to go over it just to check that everything is alright.
I always go thru my buggys with decent tools and loctite

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.