Wiki Posts
Search

Losi 8ight building and setup

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 10:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ShotGunn
Hey if i bought a losi 8ight pro an put a rtr motor mount on it with a roto start engine, would it work.
I hate the starter box idea
Not positive here, but it could work. The pro chassis doesn't have the milled out section for the backplate like the RTR chassis does. This is a rectangle area milled out specifically for the backplate so it doesn't ride on the chassis. I think I shaved down my backplate to get it to work on the pro chassis. And even then the backplate was riding on the chassis, causing CB mis-alignment and toasting bearings quickly. All problems cured when I used the correct engine mounts on the pro chassis. I use the starter boxes now.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:43 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

whats the best starter box for the losi i herd the losi box isnt strong enough
Old 01-06-2008, 10:46 PM
Tech Regular

Yea I had the same problem, I put the TL427 and RTR engine mounts on my 8T PRO and it was touching the chassis, I didn't bother trimming it down because I had a backplate on the way and the engine has a noticable power increase without a rotostart on the back of it.
If you still wanna go ahead with it the just use a dremel or something to trim the bottom of the backplate, but only a fraction at a time until it is just right.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by johnkemp
whats the best starter box for the losi i herd the losi box isnt strong enough
I like my Kyosho box. The only people I've personally seen that have had trouble with the Losi box were running it off a 12v battery and not a pair of 6 cell packs (14.4v) or a 4 cell lipo. Big difference when you have a motor that's not the strongest out there. It's really the best fit for the car as it was made specifically for it.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by watty
Hi guys, i have a quick question for you.

a few of us are having trouble with the rear suspension binding up after a run. when you press down the back of the car, it stays down. this may be due to dirt getting into the wishbone pivot points, but its happening a lot, to a number of losi 8ights. we have tried reaming the wishbones, and adding a small peice of foam behind the diaphram in the shocks, this has made them slightly better, but it is still a problem. has anyone else had this problem? if so what did you do to cure it?

thanks.

Another suggestion is make sure that you don't crank down on the screws that go into the rear toe plate. You know the ones that are probably 2 or so inches long. Just make sure that you snug them up and the same goes for the 2 on the frontside of the rear diff case. I cranked mine down when I first got the car and it did not allow the rear suspension to rebound all of the way. Good luck.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:14 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

the losi box isnt weak at all.....Losi Genuinely admited to using an Offshore company for the Box motor's....the second it was released they were getting callls on it....they knew it was an issue and solved it....they ended up getting a new palet of motor's and dood at CS said there now taking 1/100th of the calls on the boxes now.....so in reality a Bad batch of motor's caused all this "losi box sucks" BS...1 more thing too...Most guys dont think twice about a break in on the box.....Its just the same as 1/10 racing....u would'nt go out with a Fresh motor and go Pound on it for 15 min....u would take a couple packs to break in in....slowly giving it more and more voltage...breakin in the brushes nice'n evenly....and Another thing...Gel Cell's work Purfect any 1 saying u NEED to run stick packs in the box is on Glue...they've obviously never owned 1 nor imo know how to work a box if u think u NEEED stick packs.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:42 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

OK, I'm on glue now. All I was saying was that the boxes I saw at the track that had trouble were all from the first shipment and with the motor that was in there, a 12v gel cell couldn't turn anything over. As soon as they put in 2 6 cell packs, it worked fine. But I must have been high on glue and didn't know what was going on.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:02 PM
Tech Champion

ANOTHER TIP FOR THE REAR SUSPENSION BINDING.

The nut for the outer hinge pins can not be tightened too much. This will cause the the arm to bind on the rear hub, and wheelbase washers, enough to hold the suspension in place with out shocks attached. It's just another thing to look out for. Back the nut off a little at a time until the suspension moves bind free.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:29 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by tex1
Put a 3mm spacer under your front body mount and tighten it back down. It will lift the body just enough to clear the pipe nipple and throttle linkages. It also makes the nose fit better without destroying the body.
Fixed.

TEX
Thanks for the advice it makes a big difference.

Originally Posted by Integra
the losi box isnt weak at all.....Losi Genuinely admited to using an Offshore company for the Box motor's....the second it was released they were getting callls on it....they knew it was an issue and solved it....they ended up getting a new palet of motor's and dood at CS said there now taking 1/100th of the calls on the boxes now.....so in reality a Bad batch of motor's caused all this "losi box sucks" BS...1 more thing too...Most guys dont think twice about a break in on the box.....Its just the same as 1/10 racing....u would'nt go out with a Fresh motor and go Pound on it for 15 min....u would take a couple packs to break in in....slowly giving it more and more voltage...breakin in the brushes nice'n evenly....and Another thing...Gel Cell's work Purfect any 1 saying u NEED to run stick packs in the box is on Glue...they've obviously never owned 1 nor imo know how to work a box if u think u NEEED stick packs.
Do U meen its safe to buy a Losi starterbox? I ownly use 12V gel always more life then a stickpack.
I have been thinking of a easy way to rebuild my ofna chrometop. Wil a Losi topplate fit this box? It whould be an easy fix.
If not a new box is properbly the way of the least resistance.

mzl Hellsavage
Old 01-07-2008, 03:39 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Hellsavage get the losi box...there's nothing wrong with it....take some time and rewire with some Deans Wet Noodle and Solder all the connections...Do a small break in on the brushes and ur good to go...I honestly dont know why the box got all the bad rep that it did.....if i had the motor's go i would have easily gotten some Emaxx or w/e 550 cans and swapped them in....whoopdeedoo...u would think most guys would not make "that big a Stink" about the box...but w/e to each his own........i doubt the losi box will fit atop the BIG Chrome top...but maby the smaller 1...ill go measure it now.....Gel cells Rule.
Old 01-07-2008, 04:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

My Losi 8B fits on top of the big blue chrome top. I just shifted the pins a little to the left.
Old 01-07-2008, 04:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

I also am wanting the losi box, but if you go to amains site and read all the bad reviews Im a little nervous, And how would I know I am getting the updated box instead of a 1st batch? I also will be using a gell cell on it.
Old 01-07-2008, 04:48 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by tony montana
I also am wanting the losi box, but if you go to amains site and read all the bad reviews Im a little nervous, And how would I know I am getting the updated box instead of a 1st batch? I also will be using a gell cell on it.
If you don't have a losi starter box by now then you wont have one from the first batch. They are long gone by now.
Old 01-07-2008, 05:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

a friend of mine just got a losi box and it was wired backwards...
Old 01-07-2008, 06:58 PM
Tech Champion

Hellsavage--do you have the blue or black chrome top box? I'll check tonight if the top of the Losi box would fit on the black chrome top box.

I have had great luck with my Losi box. Mine was purchased out of the first batch I think. Cause my LHS only recieved two of them when they came out and I bought one of them. My fingers are crossed though.

Anyone know if the pressed on pinions from the Losi box motors will press on to all the 550 motors? Personally I'd like to use a grub screw to hold the pinions on. I don't like relying on friction from the shaft to pinion to start my big block engines, but it's working so far.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.