Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Losi 8ight building and setup

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 06:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by yourtxlender
Need some advice on the 8ights shock spring retainers. At least one comes off everytime I race. They don't seem to be damaged or out of shape at all but they are older. I saw Fioroni has the aluminum ones but $46 for 4? would it make a difference?
The only solution I've seen is guys drilling a hole through them and then using a very small zip tie to secure it to the spring.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:13 PM
Tech Elite

Twist the spring cup so that the notch faces out, towards the wheel. If you don't do this, the spring cup will hit the arm at full compression, and pop the cup off of the shock.

Once you twist them into place, you shouldn't have to keep twisting them back, they will stay put.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:19 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

I have mine like that, one still came off this weekend. I think it's the bladders sliding up the shock end when the shock rebounds from the vaccuum that occurs when the air is blown out of them quickly when they bottom out.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:45 PM
Tech Elite

Try pulling the shock boot up a little further, so there's still slack in it when the shock is fully extended. The shock boot shouldn't be pulled tight when the shock extends.

Also, if you're running a lot of downtravel and not much spring preload, that will cause them to pop off. They need spring pressure to stay in place.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:49 PM
Tech Lord

I do that. I am just thinking that when the shocks bottom out it squeezes all the air out and when the shock extends the boot doesn't extend with it and crawls up the shock end. I am going to try balloons instead of the stock boots. The boots are too delicate anyway.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:51 PM
Tech Elite

Haha, now that's a phantom problem.

Are you going to use balloons in place of the shock boots, or over the spring?
Old 07-09-2007, 08:10 PM
Tech Lord

No kidding! You'd think the spring would be enough to keep them down. If they (Losi) would increase the thickness of the rubber a little bit I think it would fix it. It would make the boots tougher too.

I am going to use them in place of the boots. I test fit one and they are tough to stretch over the lower cap but it gives a better fit at the ball end. We'll see how they hold up. Oh, they come in all kinds of corny colors. I think I'll do pink, it's the new black.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:56 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Davidka
No kidding! You'd think the spring would be enough to keep them down. If they (Losi) would increase the thickness of the rubber a little bit I think it would fix it. It would make the boots tougher too.

I am going to use them in place of the boots. I test fit one and they are tough to stretch over the lower cap but it gives a better fit at the ball end. We'll see how they hold up. Oh, they come in all kinds of corny colors. I think I'll do pink, it's the new black.
i used the same method as you... coz Losi one is not thick enough.... but my shock piston screw came off from the shaft couple of time... i already cleaned the shaft and used blue thread lock, but still came off....
Old 07-09-2007, 09:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I use the tko balloon set. Its OK, but the rubber dries out in a day. They are a PITA to put on, but at $5 for a 100 or so, I'd rather use them. The losi ones were easier to put on, but not $5 easier and did not last that much longer. I might try pre-filling the balloons to stretch them out, then installing them. Might make it easier.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

My buddy uses the Thunder Tiger boots. They are like an accordian. They are a tad bit thicker and work great. I tried balloons. Forget it!
Old 07-09-2007, 09:30 PM
Tech Elite

revhead - Did you clean the screw? Put a dab of loctite on the screw, and then roll the screw on your finger to wipe the excess loctite off. This will leave loctite only in the troughs of the screw threads. Then crank it like heck!

If you haven't, you may want to try a new screw and/or shaft. The threads of one might be bad.

David - You can try gluing the shock bottom to the shock end. It's not uncommon in gas truck to use a dab of glue, enough to hold it on there, but not enough that you can't pop them apart to disassemble the shock.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:50 PM
Tech Adept

what about those outer wears shock covers are those any good?
Old 07-10-2007, 05:46 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Aaron Waldron
Twist the spring cup so that the notch faces out, towards the wheel. If you don't do this, the spring cup will hit the arm at full compression, and pop the cup off of the shock.

Once you twist them into place, you shouldn't have to keep twisting them back, they will stay put.
thanks for the help. I have used ballons for a while now and I would say they work great. Of course I'm the one with the retainer problem though.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:13 AM
Tech Master

triple post sorry

Last edited by RBMike; 07-10-2007 at 08:26 AM.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:13 AM
Tech Master

triple post sorry, my network has issues.

Last edited by RBMike; 07-10-2007 at 08:27 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.