Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Losi 8ight building and setup

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 06:27 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Anyone else find any bent hinge pins...?

Just torn my car part, maybe has a galon run thru it. Fronts are both bent..?

No broken arms and no big hits, Rich you have seen me run it did you see Dave have any big hits at the Mapson...?

LMK...
Old 01-09-2007, 06:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

And don't be afraid to grab that shock shaft TIGHT with some vice grips (with rubber jaws or something to protect the finish) so you can get those set screws nice and tight.

I bet a lot of people having problems are trying to hold that shaft with their fingers or something and not getting the set screw nearly tight enough.

Happy building and racing.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:36 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Walt
I bet a lot of people having problems are trying to hold that shaft with their fingers or something and not getting the set screw nearly tight enough.

Happy building and racing.
Excellent point! I use these:

They work really good!
Old 01-09-2007, 06:42 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Radio tray Quick tip.

Here is a quick and easy tip to eliminate some radio tray flex. The stock 1/4 inch tray screws don't thread very far into the radio tray itself. if you look at your radio tray you can see the three holes circled in red will accept up to a 3/4 inch length screw. The screw pictured is a comparison of stock 1/4 and a 5/8 screw. The longer screw will add rigidity to the radio tray cause they thread higher up in the tray and have less tendency for the plastic to flex.

Old 01-09-2007, 06:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Gordkoff
Anyone else find any bent hinge pins...?

Just torn my car part, maybe has a galon run thru it. Fronts are both bent..?

No broken arms and no big hits, Rich you have seen me run it did you see Dave have any big hits at the Mapson...?

LMK...
I've only bent one rear outer hingepin, must have been from that truggy stuffing me at full throttle on the straight away because the shock shaft was bent on that side as well. I've taken some hard tumbles and all my inner hingepins are mint.

Dave must have bent them There was that huge jump at the Mapston and I could see landing that jump wrong possibly bending a hingepin...
Old 01-09-2007, 07:44 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I bent my front left hinge pin in my last race (During a heat race) I bent it around 30 degrees from new.

But it was from a very bad crash (My fault and a rut) at full throttle at the end of our back strait wall. But, when I did it, I also broke the front left arm in half, 4mm & 5mm rod ends, bend the dog bone and sway bar bad, bent the front hinge plate out and that hinge pin.

I just had to laugh over it, that racing. But, I was running in the next heat strong
Old 01-09-2007, 10:23 PM
Tech Master

Bent hinge pin story:
Somewhere about 12 mins in to a 15 min main, I broke the hinge pin CAP in the rear.
Pin slid out, and slight bend.
Solution, Grind or file the bottom of the hinge pin cap.
If you notice, it CAN drag on the track if your chassis starts to wear.
I only clearanced the bottom of the cap a slight amount.
Keep an eye on all clearances to be rounded off, as sharp cuts or gouges make for place to break anyway.
Old 01-10-2007, 04:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 191 (100%+)
Default futaba 9451

anyone have experience with this? i went thru a couple of airtronics when i first got 8ight. due to user error. i have now been running futaba for over a month now with zero problems. it is noisy. i had a friend tell me this is normal for a digital servo. i have everything set correct, but the slightest pull on the servo results in noise. sometimes when neutral sometime under strain. but other than noise it works perfect. seems to be good servo for price. 79.99
Old 01-10-2007, 06:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Patrick- which futaba servo are you using and how much fuel have you run through it?
Old 01-10-2007, 07:19 AM
Tech Champion

Digi servos are noisy, because they have better "resolution", or the ability to correct themsleves more acurately. The noise is the servo holding position, weather it's centered or at full throttle. The buzz IS normal...you should hear a 1/3 scale RC plane with 12-20 digi servos all singing at once!
Old 01-10-2007, 07:40 AM
Tech Master

Yea, I have a 1/3 scale Cap232 using 8 digtial servos. The weight of the surface they are holding (against gravity) makes them sing.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:48 AM
Tech Addict

I've come to a simple solution to this servo setup issue. If your servo makes a peep of noise at full throttle its not right."Fix It" At full throttle with slide open, servo should not make a bit of noise and still have some end play when slide is pulled on
I agree 100% with Monkeywrench when setting up your Digital servo(s). Under load they will become noisy, but at rest they should almost dead quiet. If you use a return band or spring on your throttle ball it will make a little more noise then usual pulling against the band/spring, but as soon as you take the band/spring off, it should become quiet using the throttle. The servo using the brakes become noisy, because you are building resistant as you increase the braking pressure. The Losi don't take very much brake's to get the setup right.

Same with the steering servo when the buggy is elevated off the ground. I can turn my wheel to the max end points, and hold it there and no noise will come from the servo. (elevated) Make sure you end points (EPA) are set correct, and they are not putting undue strain on the servo. Digital servos are nosier but they can also tell you when your putting to much strain on them because of there noise level....

Last edited by Steve Walters; 01-10-2007 at 09:32 AM.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:45 AM
Tech Initiate

GOT MY 8IGHT TODAY,
INSTALLING A BETTER STEERING SERVO(HIGHTECH MG935)/MOVED THE 590 TO THROTTLE/SERVO SETUP RECOMENDED ON HERE----
ANY RECOMENDATION FOR ADDIONG 2 MORE CLUTCH SHOES TO THE RTR 8,IM ON A SMALL TIGHT TRACK(HARD PACK CLAY )
I DIG THE CARS LAYOUT AFTER RACING A JAMMIN

HEY SPORT10 COME OVER TO FT WALTON SATURDAY-WE START AT 2PM
Old 01-10-2007, 11:10 AM
Tech Champion

Sport 10, get there early, so you can adapt to the layout. There's a pair of doubles that make it... "tricky"...
Old 01-10-2007, 11:41 AM
Tech Master

Cool, I am going to try and make it. I have already checked out the fort walton track and the small doubles. Should be alot of fun. Buckshot, I am running (khz 6061) 4 aluminum shoes with green and silver springs. The engagement is smooth and linear with good wear characteristics. Should be good for a dry track.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.