Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Losi 8ight building and setup

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 09:03 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

Im running 4-5-2 in my 8b, I havent ran it yet since putting it in thou. Are most running the stock brake rotors? Mine seem to fade pretty bad and was thinking of trying the vented losi rotors
Old 05-10-2008, 09:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (98%+)

Originally Posted by tony montana
Im running 4-5-2 in my 8b, I havent ran it yet since putting it in thou. Are most running the stock brake rotors? Mine seem to fade pretty bad and was thinking of trying the vented losi rotors
the losi vented brakes are better thant he stock disk.
Old 05-10-2008, 12:28 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 198 (100%+)

I run the carbon brakes on my 8B work great!
Now the Dif. set-up I use is for a large sometimes slick tight with big jumps track! Mills pond Fla.
3-5-1 yes one in the rear caus the Losi likes to step-out on power.
Now i come out on power and am able to square up for jumps better!
The 8b turns like crazy . I had to lessen my endpoints on stearing and have 0 toe! Still turns on a dime and comes out rippin! Try it youll like it!
Old 05-11-2008, 07:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I ran the lightweight outdrives f/c/r today and I could really tell a difference in acceleration and out of the hole "pop" the car now has. It wasn't a slouch before by any means but now it's just a little bit better
Old 05-11-2008, 07:10 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Matt Howard
I ran the lightweight outdrives f/c/r today and I could really tell a difference in acceleration and out of the hole "pop" the car now has. It wasn't a slouch before by any means but now it's just a little bit better
good to know. Guess im going to have to drop half my next check on outdrives lol. have 4 sets of difs to order them for.
Old 05-11-2008, 07:43 PM
Tech Rookie

Exclamation

How can i adjust my losi 8ight truggy for a dirt track? Because i just got my new car and it has a really really fast steering servos, and i noticed that on the front tires there is a lot of toe out, is that standard and if not can someone please let me know what a pretty standard toeing is for the front and back for a dirt track and i like lots of balance
Old 05-12-2008, 09:32 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Update on running 5-5-5:

This made a bit of difference. Loose and dusty track conditions, the rear didn't "wash out" as much.

I also went down to the smallest rear bar... this was a bigger change than the diff fluid was.

The rear is pretty locked in now... some folks probably wouldn't like this setup, it doesn't "rotate" as good. It still turns in fine, but after the initial turn it, it is a lot more stable.

I think this is a good setup for an inexperienced driver (like me.) I was MUCH faster this way!

Note that this is on a fast track with a dusty hard-packed surface. When they watered (still breaking in the track for this weekend's RC Pro Texas Series race) it pushed a bit. Probably not a good setup on a very sticky, damp track, but it was VERY forgiving on a loose dusty track. That's a reasonable trade-off in my book.

Other setup info: 40wt / 54 piston /silver springs front, bones just a hair below level, 32.5 wt / 55 piston / green springs rear, bones just a hair above level. Front 1 degree toe out, 2 degrees camber, long ackerman, bump steer "cones up." Rear has adjustable hinge pin holders (Losi) with what SAYS is 3 degrees toe 4 anti-squat, but I've been told the documentation is wrong it is only 2 degrees of toe. (bushings are labeled 1) Front camber links inside on tower inside on hub. Rear camber links lower inside on tower, inside on hub. Swaybars black front, small silver rear. Significant front brake bias. Rear arms forward. (Shortest chassis setting) NO added weights. As much droop as I can get from the shocks on both ends- I set my arms so I have to compress the shocks maybe 1mm to slip them on the upper bolts.

You experienced drivers won't like this setup, it makes the car "lazy" (for a Losi!)

Beginners will benefit from this one. It makes the car much more forgiving to drive, especially on a slick, dusty track. There MAY be some settings on there that would be better another way... I'm open to suggestions, but, not planning to change anything before this weekend!
Old 05-12-2008, 01:09 PM
Tech Elite

domit- if you are running 1 inserts faceing inward you are running 2 toe in the rear. If you are running this i would sugest putting in the 0 inserts for 3 rear toe. you can also move the hubs all the way back and that will give the car better roation comeing out of a corner but slow it down comeing in.
Old 05-12-2008, 02:53 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

Originally Posted by micrors4guy
domit- if you are running 1 inserts faceing inward you are running 2 toe in the rear. If you are running this i would sugest putting in the 0 inserts for 3 rear toe. you can also move the hubs all the way back and that will give the car better roation comeing out of a corner but slow it down comeing in.
Thanks for the tips. Yes, that is what I am running (2 degrees toe, hubs forward.) I thought the car was a little "tail happy" when the track is slick before I went up in rear diff fluid and down in swaybar size. Now, FOR ME, the car is good. This isn't the setup for everyone... it is just nice and tame and lazy and friendly... just the way I like it! (and it still turns better than anything else I've driven... just not quite as aggressive)
Old 05-12-2008, 05:54 PM
Tech Rookie

Cool il try that too, but will adjusting my wing at the back of my losi truggy really affect how the car handles or jumps because the slight adjustment really doesn't look like it will do anything?
Old 05-12-2008, 06:36 PM
Tech Rookie

Exclamation

Hey guys um i just encountered a huge problem because when i installed the engine the gear that is should show under the car to bump start it is to high up and the starter box cant reach it. Also the engine is a bit to far forward and the throttle is then getting in the way of a plastic piece and i have not idea what to do.

I have a losi 8ight Truggy with a axial .28 racing engine and a Ofna 1/8 Off-Road Truggy Starter Box Dual 775 Motors

I dont know what to do, it is possible that the engine is not made for the car and the box fits most models and not the truggy? Please let me know if anyone knows what to do?
Old 05-12-2008, 07:25 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by losi-t-axial.28
Hey guys um i just encountered a huge problem because when i installed the engine the gear that is should show under the car to bump start it is to high up and the starter box cant reach it. Also the engine is a bit to far forward and the throttle is then getting in the way of a plastic piece and i have not idea what to do.

I have a losi 8ight Truggy with a axial .28 racing engine and a Ofna 1/8 Off-Road Truggy Starter Box Dual 775 Motors

I dont know what to do, it is possible that the engine is not made for the car and the box fits most models and not the truggy? Please let me know if anyone knows what to do?
If the truck started as the RTR then you need just need the race roller engine mounts. The RTR mounts are higher for the rotostart to clear.

There is a Losi Truggy thread too for any other questions you have about your truck.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Hey guys, here is my roller. Just painted the body.

Goint to run a Losi 427 untill I get a GO .21, 5 port motor.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:02 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

What GRP tires are the Pros running at loose blown out tracks?
Old 05-13-2008, 12:33 PM
Tech Elite

I found out something interesting this weekend... gonna have to give this a try:

As an inexpensive, readily available method to retain the CVD pins, one of the local guys is using "engine dust caps." Has anyone tried this? How did it work out for you?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.