Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Losi 8ight building and setup

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 11:07 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by soccerlaw
I have the same issue as above on my brand new 8T race roller. It seems like there are quite a few people with the same issue, but no real resolution. Somebody mentioned sanding down the bearing inserts, but not sure (a) whether to do both the rear bearing inserts, (b) how much to sand off and (c) why I should have to be sanding a new car. Some people said it's normal but it sounds and feels like the diff and pinion gears are just not meshing up right at all. Clunky sound and feel. Not just the sound of new gears on new gears.

Also, I have tried the aluminum replacement bearing inserts but they make it even worse.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Mine smoothed out after about a gallon.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:40 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I solved the problem on mine and a buddy's just by loosening the the rear brace retaining screws a little less than half a turn and I put some extra grease on the ring and pinion gears.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:50 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

My rear diff was clicking under hard acceleration and braking. I thought the bevel gears were broken. It turns out the gears were fine. I then bought the aluminum outdrive holders and when i went to install them, it turns out that one of the outdrive bearings blew up. I had to spend another 15 dollars on the bearings.
Old 04-25-2008, 01:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by phixd
My rear diff was clicking under hard acceleration and braking. I thought the bevel gears were broken. It turns out the gears were fine. I then bought the aluminum outdrive holders and when i went to install them, it turns out that one of the outdrive bearings blew up. I had to spend another 15 dollars on the bearings.

Try one of these next time:
http://www.avidrc.com/shop/?action=i...vid=&prevstart=

At $1 a piece, $15 would do almost the whole car not just the outdrives.
Old 04-25-2008, 01:44 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Derby Bros Racing
Try one of these next time:
http://www.avidrc.com/shop/?action=i...vid=&prevstart=

At $1 a piece, $15 would do almost the whole car not just the outdrives.
Wow thanks for the link. I'll be buying my bearings from there. i'd rather blow up 1 dollar bearings instead of the more expensive Losi bearings.

is there any difference in quality that you have seen?
Old 04-25-2008, 01:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

+1 for $1 bearings if your on a budget.

I just buy 10 of each bearing used in the 8, and I have replacements for quite a while. Also, since they are cheap enough, toss a bearing instead of re-lubing it if your in a hurry.
Old 04-25-2008, 02:28 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

most places do 1$ a bearing now a days...Boca Avid Protec..ect.ect.....i toss bearings every month or so now and rebuild with Fresh Brand new 1's...at the prive its worth it to buy 100$ worth of All sizes and be able to toss em without worry of running out...i have 100$ in metric and now Standard sizes in bearings.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:33 PM
Tech Addict

Just some info for those looking for the hd diff cases, tilted rc has around 100 of them in stock now, they also have the new outdrives and foams in stock.
Old 04-27-2008, 04:47 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Funny the bearing issue should come up. I just logged on to complain about mine... This was my second day out with the 8ight. So far I toasted the clutch bell bearings (last week) and the rear diff bearings today. Maybe the fronts also, they seem wobly but I have yet to pull it apart...

Whats the deal with these Losi bearings? Usually the kit bearings are better than the $1 aftermarkets
Old 04-27-2008, 05:59 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Hello all, I have had a Losi 8t for a while now and I'm replacing clutch shoe's with Dynamite Max Life shoes. Just wondering if somone knows what springs seem to work the best and so on..... If the max lifes are worth putting on ect.. I just dont want to go through 200+ pages because I know it might be somewhere in this thread. Thanks in advance
Old 04-27-2008, 06:45 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Jaypeezy
Hello all, I have had a Losi 8t for a while now and I'm replacing clutch shoe's with Dynamite Max Life shoes. Just wondering if somone knows what springs seem to work the best and so on..... If the max lifes are worth putting on ect.. I just dont want to go through 200+ pages because I know it might be somewhere in this thread. Thanks in advance

Dyna's are 1 of the best shoes on the market these days.....for springs...it depends on the conditions...I run a ALL silver set-up and i like the stall just the way it is....ya 200+pages is a Daunting task...take it day by day...u kinda see the revolution of the truck/buggy throughout the year.
Old 04-27-2008, 06:54 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Thanks Integra, right now I have black and gold springs but Ill see what I can come up with
Old 04-28-2008, 12:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by phixd
Wow thanks for the link. I'll be buying my bearings from there. i'd rather blow up 1 dollar bearings instead of the more expensive Losi bearings.

is there any difference in quality that you have seen?
No not really. Avid quality is very good. In fact, even factory drivers like Adam Drake, Travis Amezcua, and Scott Kimbrow to name a few, trust and use Avid bearings for perfomance and durability.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:31 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I've always run Avid bearings on other cars... just bought a "set" for the Losi (you have to look them up individually and order them of course... sizes are in the manual, just read through the assembly and the sizes are marked.) And I ordered 10 sets (20 bearings, 10 of each size) for the clutch bell.

We blow the clutch bearings out with compressed air before running... otherwise you'll have grease on your clutch shoes.
Old 04-28-2008, 01:36 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DOMIT
We blow the clutch bearings out with compressed air before running... otherwise you'll have grease on your clutch shoes.
On past buggies, I have used ceramic bearings for the clutch and did what you sugested, blow/clean the grease out... Cleaning out stock ss bearings is asking for trouble as they do not last at all... The ceramic bearings hold up better under high-heat, un-lubed conditions...

Im running ceramic inner on the 8 now and so far so good

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.