Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Losi 8ight building and setup >

Losi 8ight building and setup

Losi 8ight building and setup

Old 04-23-2007, 09:14 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (87%+)

I tried to use a differant clutch on my 8 buggy i had a problem with the clutch bell not reaching the center diff is there a after market motor mount out there that will let you get away from the stock one
Old 04-24-2007, 12:39 AM
Tech Initiate

Is that new Losi starter box for the 8/8t out yet? Anyone have info on this? Thanks in advance
Old 04-24-2007, 03:21 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Born2Lose
Hey Ronnie that link wouldnt work ? Could you tell me some info on it please!
It worked for me, it's a rather large PDF file explaining how to set up your throttle and brake linkages on the 8ight so you won't fry servos. there were probably 5-6 8ight's running in Omaha last week and no one had any servo problems. I'm going to try and make it out to Lincoln next week so if your there look for me and I'll try and help you out
Old 04-24-2007, 04:25 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by damo666
Heres my new losi 8 with Jim hottinger (hotmod) Novarossi plus 21 / 5.

Dude I like your rear drive shaft (CVD)protector do you custom made those?
Old 04-24-2007, 04:43 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Born2Lose
My throttle servo crapped out on my 4th tank of fuel ! what a crock !!!
Hum, almost 2 gallons through my eight and no servo problem.
Use servo gommets, and king headz plate.
The servo does not touch the frame.
Setup is done correctly (be careful with EPA).

Setup is the issue for servo problem.

No heard of any problem here in France.

Nicolas
Old 04-24-2007, 06:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Red face

SRS64 - You can use other clutches on the 8ight. You need to use the Losi clutchbell though. You can change the bell but you would probably want to go with something like the King Head motor mount. It has an option to move your motor forward 2+mm. I don't like doing this due to it making you run the carb at an even more extreme angle. You will have problems with you throttle servos if you are not extra careful.
Just run what ever clutch you want and use the Losi bell. Clean the rear bearing out and lightly oil it and you should be fine.
We have Mugen, Kyosho, Werks and Losi clutches in all of our cars. All of the guys are using the Losi clutch bells and they work great.
Good luck!
TEX
Old 04-24-2007, 06:54 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

amen Kawaz, the car is not to blame for the servo issues. Some cars are a little more forgiving as far as servo setup goes. On the 8ight it is very important you take your time and setup the linkage correctly. A good throttle servo doesn't hurt either. Maybe someone could link Supermaxx Rich's explanation and guidlines here for people who are having problems. I have it in my favorites but don't know how to link it???
Old 04-24-2007, 07:27 AM
Tech Master

CWALTERS-
or ANYBODY- Hey, if you could email me how to setup the linkages that would be awesome. Im still new to this and I still have lots to learn. The reason Im asking is because my motor mounts apparently loosened up and it caused my clutch bell to get chewed up so I had to reallign the motor and it seems the ball cup on the carb is pushed more toward the brake and I know its probably not a good thing but that is how I had to finish the day. But if anybody has a link or anything on a lesson about the linkages it would be great. Or send to me at [email protected] Thanks.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showpost...postcount=1211

OR go to losi site.

http://www.teamlosi.com/ProdInfo/Fil...e_Addendum.pdf

Old 04-24-2007, 08:02 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Hi,

I'm considering getting an 8ight and was told that they require a lot more maintenance than other 1/8 scale buggies. Is this true? If so what kind of stuff is that in reference too?

Thanks a lot,

-Mike
Old 04-24-2007, 08:58 AM
Tech Master

Tomdav- Thanks for the link.

Bohh-I honestly think ALL 1/8 need alot of maintenance. But personally I like it! Its what makes it part of the hobby. Cant just expect to buy one and it to be bells & jewels. And it was probably someone that doesnt own an 8ight that said that. The 8ight has already proven to be the one of the best 1/8 buggy. And maintenance is guaranteed no matter what you get. The 8ight definitely would be a good choice for a durable buggy.
just my .02 cents.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:10 AM
Tech Fanatic

I agree, all buggies need a lot of maintainence if you race and plan on finishing races.

I'm constantly amazed at the "bad luck" of certain racers who have terrible maintainence practices. Every week it's something going wrong for them and yet I very rarely have anything break during a race.

If I do, it's always because I was lazy and didn't catch a problem before it cost me a race finish.

That stated, the Losi 8 shocks are the best and worst part of the vehicle IMO. They have to be checked after every qualifier.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:46 AM
Tech Master

Satoch-How do you like the ACE servos?Any problems yet?
Old 04-24-2007, 09:48 AM
Tech Initiate

i have to say the car is just as bad for maintainence as any other car, i use the same prep method on this as i have on all my cars.

My only gripes with the car are the original shock seals and the center diff mounts are solid not split. The shocks are easy to cure using aftermarket seals (think there tko). The center diff mounts could be cured with aftermarket alu versions but i think losi could have made a much better moulded design something like the jconcepts bj4.we slipper mount
Old 04-24-2007, 10:01 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Thanks

I am getting my 8ight today or tomorrow. I got my starter box yesterday - Mugen Pro Starter BII 1/8 Off-Road 1/10 Touring A lot of parts.

My came in the grayiest color. Now, I am ok taking it out at the track.

Manny

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.