R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   NovaRossi .21 Plus 21-5 review (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/110390-novarossi-21-plus-21-5-review.html)

ezveedub 01-04-2009 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by houston (Post 5250364)
call me i need to see which bearings you have , or just send me picks , if they are the sloppy 14.5x26mm bearings , do not install if you are sponsored by jim , get my number from him .

Is that issue still floating around?

JAMMINKRAZY 01-04-2009 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by ezveedub (Post 5250444)
Is that issue still floating around?

I got one of the sloppy ones awhile back and didn't realize there was a problem. So I installed it and it ran fine for like 3 gallons. then i noticed it was making a bearing noise and was kinda gritty so i pulled it. Turns out some of the balls were cracked. luckily it didn't cause any harm to my engine. So I contacted TKO and they sent me a brand new one no questions asked. the one they sent was the new one. the way you can tell the difference is by the color of the balls(atleast in my experience). the earlier, bad ones had light grey colored ceramic balls where as the new good ones are a pearly black color. With the newer version you actually install them with the balls facing foreward(away from the backplate/counterweight side). The newer ones seem alot better. they have alot less slpo to begin with and the outer races are wider to protect the balls/cage better. I have several gallons on the new ones and they are perfect. SO BE WARE OF THE OLD ONES. AND WHEN INSTALLING THE NEW ONES MAKE SURE TO INSTALL THEM WITH BALLS FACING FOREWARD.

ezveedub 01-04-2009 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY (Post 5250643)
I got one of the sloppy ones awhile back and didn't realize there was a problem. So I installed it and it ran fine for like 3 gallons. then i noticed it was making a bearing noise and was kinda gritty so i pulled it. Turns out some of the balls were cracked. luckily it didn't cause any harm to my engine. So I contacted TKO and they sent me a brand new one no questions asked. the one they sent was the new one. the way you can tell the difference is by the color of the balls(atleast in my experience). the earlier, bad ones had light grey colored ceramic balls where as the new good ones are a pearly black color. With the newer version you actually install them with the balls facing foreward(away from the backplate/counterweight side). The newer ones seem alot better. they have alot less slpo to begin with and the outer races are wider to protect the balls/cage better. I have several gallons on the new ones and they are perfect. SO BE WARE OF THE OLD ONES. AND WHEN INSTALLING THE NEW ONES MAKE SURE TO INSTALL THEM WITH BALLS FACING FOREWARD.

Was your bearing offset with the ball cage reversed. I had one which may have been TKO (got it from local modifier) and noticed this, so I remove the ball cage and reversed it so its like the OEM bearings (balls facing rear, cage facing front, offset towards rear, close to the crank)

houston 01-04-2009 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by ezveedub (Post 5250818)
Was your bearing offset with the ball cage reversed. I had one which may have been TKO (got it from local modifier) and noticed this, so I remove the ball cage and reversed it so its like the OEM bearings (balls facing rear, cage facing front, offset towards rear, close to the crank)

i am pretty peticular with my bearings:nod::nod: i asked peter to send me new ones when he gets em made , i did get one plus bearing that was tight but it was too tight. :( couldnt hardly turn the crank with bearing installed until you heated up to about 250 . still find the boca stainless bearing in the rear and tko ceramic front bearing to be the ticket .

i only use the products i believe in , that way i am impartial and find only the best working products

ezveedub 01-04-2009 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by houston (Post 5250898)
i am pretty peticular with my bearings:nod::nod: i asked peter to send me new ones when he gets em made , i did get one plus bearing that was tight but it was too tight. :( couldnt hardly turn the crank with bearing installed until you heated up to about 250 . still find the boca stainless bearing in the rear and tko ceramic front bearing to be the ticket .

i only use the products i believe in , that way i am impartial and find only the best working products

Thats what I had in it, a Boca rear and a ultra sealed Boca front. Just dropped a ceramic in, but I'll be watching it anyway.

Jammin_Xtream49 04-11-2009 09:23 PM

I just picked up one of the 21-5k motors and wanting to know the optimal setup in my 8ight buggy. My plans are... OD99 Plug, Dynamite 086 pipe, Novarossi short header. I am having issues deciding which restrictor to install and get the best fuel millage with this setup. On my old P5 I ran the 8 restrictor, wondering if the same results apply on this motor.

houston 04-11-2009 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Jammin_Xtream49 (Post 5672133)
I just picked up one of the 21-5k motors and wanting to know the optimal setup in my 8ight buggy. My plans are... OD99 Plug, Dynamite 086 pipe, Novarossi short header. I am having issues deciding which restrictor to install and get the best fuel millage with this setup. On my old P5 I ran the 8 restrictor, wondering if the same results apply on this motor.

i wouldn't recommend the short header with the 086hs pipe , the stock header is perfect :nod: the rest is good , if you want a little better runtime go to 7mm restrictor . depending on your humidity level for plugs higher humidity cooler plug