2022 IFMAR 1/8 IC Offroad Worlds >

2022 IFMAR 1/8 IC Offroad Worlds

Like Tree28Likes

2022 IFMAR 1/8 IC Offroad Worlds

Old 09-21-2022, 06:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RevolutionM View Post
there is a difference from pushing hard to being behind and nothing to loose like phend and David they both started so far back they were willing to take risks in there driving pushing above there comfort zone pretty simple💁
Did you see at what stage in the race the fast laps were attained? DR had a faster lap than Ongaro and that came with they were swapping positions. To say he was pushing will be an understatement, just because he made less mistakes doesnít mean he wasnít pushing,
Old 09-21-2022, 08:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (89%+)

Originally Posted by Medic29358 View Post
I donít think price has anything to do with it, not when a Mugen is $850, Kyosho and Xray are $700+
Maybe the member model doesnít work for some people, but the price is competitive with other top brands. As for the way the car performed. I thought it looked the best on track, more stable and had all the control needed. If David could have gotten around Tessmann sooner, this could have been very different race. Mayako is getting more customers, and people are always curious when they see one. Especially on the track. Thatís been my expierence.
I would actually argue the later that Mayako is loosing customers as I have seen a couple kits go up for sale on here. Also, the Xray is $639.99 on RC America and the Mugen you can use coupon codes. Of course price is not the only factor people consider when buying an RC car. They look at the overall value, local support and parts availability. Apple charges a premium for the latest iPhone and people pay it no problem because they have broad differentiation. This generic strategy focuses on key features that differentiate the company and its information technology products from competitors.

When you look at the Mayako there is nothing unique or innovative that stands out on the buggy. Itís kinda like an Sworkz, works well and is a good kit but just doesnít have anything that unique about it. They have the membership model, which is different and great for some racers. However this comes at a yearly cost and with purchase of a kit your looking at $1k to really get the full experience Mayoko.

Another interesting thing is I signed up to be an Horizon Elite member. So I get a 30 credit on my birthday, 30% off on Horizon Hobby merchandise, more points on purchases and the big one is free 2 day shipping. This means I can get parts on the fly and not have to stock a bunch along with tires and other things. I also get immediate support from Horzon which is cool.

I know Mayako has different business strategy, which is fine and at the end the day makes the industry more diverse. I think for me it boils down to what are you really gaining by running a Mayako because on price itís more, partís availability and local support is limited.

When is there ebuggy supposed to come out?

8T likes this.
Old 09-21-2022, 09:56 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Mickey_B View Post
I would actually argue the later that Mayako is loosing customers as I have seen a couple kits go up for sale on here. Also, the Xray is $639.99 on RC America and the Mugen you can use coupon codes. Of course price is not the only factor people consider when buying an RC car. They look at the overall value, local support and parts availability. Apple charges a premium for the latest iPhone and people pay it no problem because they have broad differentiation. This generic strategy focuses on key features that differentiate the company and its information technology products from competitors.

When you look at the Mayako there is nothing unique or innovative that stands out on the buggy. Itís kinda like an Sworkz, works well and is a good kit but just doesnít have anything that unique about it. They have the membership model, which is different and great for some racers. However this comes at a yearly cost and with purchase of a kit your looking at $1k to really get the full experience Mayoko.

Another interesting thing is I signed up to be an Horizon Elite member. So I get a 30 credit on my birthday, 30% off on Horizon Hobby merchandise, more points on purchases and the big one is free 2 day shipping. This means I can get parts on the fly and not have to stock a bunch along with tires and other things. I also get immediate support from Horzon which is cool.

I know Mayako has different business strategy, which is fine and at the end the day makes the industry more diverse. I think for me it boils down to what are you really gaining by running a Mayako because on price itís more, partís availability and local support is limited.

When is there ebuggy supposed to come out?
The overall value is different for everyone. Yes, Mayako is doing something different, and that will either interest people, or make them apprehensive. The Horizon membership is interesting and good for all things RC related and Iím sure that $130 pays for itself after a few orders.

The Mayako membership is totally different from what any company is doing. Its all been discussed before so I wonít go into that. But if someone has questions, feel free to ask.

What drew me to Mayako was the community thatís being built, and you donít need to be a member to experience that. Maybe there arenít a lot of people running them locally (yet) but weíre able to get online and chat with members live and get help when needed. As for parts availability, AMain is now selling parts, and the warehouse that ships from the Midwest has shipped parts to Californian in 2 days for a flat $9.99 shipping. I canít even get parts from AMain that fast sometimes. So anyone whoís concerned about parts availability has nothing to worry about, in my opinion.

The kits that have gone up for sale on here have been from people who were happy with the car and their experience, but sold for other reasons, not because they werenít happy. So donít look at that as an indication of how good or bad the car is. Because itís an amazing car. I think this last year has proven that.

If local support is important, I can understand that. In the end, weíre all going to run what we want for our own reasons. All I can say is research every brand and buy what makes you happy and supports your needs. 🤙

As for the Ebuggy, I havenít heard an ďofficial dateĒ but I believe sometime late this year or early next.

Old 09-21-2022, 12:39 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

There are a few unique features on the Mayako. The information is kind of scattered around different sources (fb/instagram/youtube/blogs) instead of being centralized on their website, but if you flip through the manual it's apparent there are a few features that differentiate the car. Droop screw location and adjustable diff height come to mind (independent of suspension). Another unique feature (as far as I know) is the Chub kingpin arrangement, that allows for a position that intersects the outer hinge pin.
Old 09-21-2022, 02:34 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Buckland View Post
There are a few unique features on the Mayako. The information is kind of scattered around different sources (fb/instagram/youtube/blogs) instead of being centralized on their website, but if you flip through the manual it's apparent there are a few features that differentiate the car. Droop screw location and adjustable diff height come to mind (independent of suspension). Another unique feature (as far as I know) is the Chub kingpin arrangement, that allows for a position that intersects the outer hinge pin.
Nice I didnít even know they had that. So maybe the marketing could be better.
Old 09-21-2022, 06:53 PM
Tech Apprentice

Nice I didnít even know they had that. So maybe the marketing could be better.
The marketing is a littleÖ. Well it is what it is. It isnít what I think weíre used to seeing in the industry, but itís not bad. I think most of has been on social media platforms. There is a web page now separate from the web shop. www.mayako.com
There youíll find a little more detailed information and race reports, photos. Things like that. It seems like a lot of sales lately have come from word of mouth, someone seeing it at the track and getting a chance to drive one, or due to Mayakoís recent success. Either way, Iím sure youíll start seeing more of them in the coming months and years. I know there has been a lot of interest in the ebuggy release. That may be what a lot of people are waiting to see.
Old 09-22-2022, 03:12 PM
Tech Master

The marketing is a littleÖ. Well it is what it is. It isnít what I think weíre used to seeing in the industry, but itís not bad. I think most of has been on social media platforms. There is a web page now separate from the web shop. www.mayako.com
There youíll find a little more detailed information and race reports, photos. Things like that. It seems like a lot of sales lately have come from word of mouth, someone seeing it at the track and getting a chance to drive one, or due to Mayakoís recent success. Either way, Iím sure youíll start seeing more of them in the coming months and years. I know there has been a lot of interest in the ebuggy release. That may be what a lot of people are waiting to see.
You really got to wonder about people that go by a buggy because it won a world championship. If course if people didnít guess there would be no need for paying drivers.
Old 09-22-2022, 04:36 PM
Tech Apprentice

You really got to wonder about people that go by a buggy because it won a world championship. If course if people didnít guess there would be no need for paying drivers.
I donít know if the old say ďwin on Sunday sell on MondayĒ still holds true. But there may still be people like that. Be interesting to see if AEís sales increase some. I think most people buy whatís most supported at their local track.
Old 09-22-2022, 06:30 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I donít know if the old say ďwin on Sunday sell on MondayĒ still holds true. But there may still be people like that. Be interesting to see if AEís sales increase some. I think most people buy whatís most supported at their local track.
I think what the local fast guys run is way more important to 99.9% of racers anyway, honestly I think all the buggies are so close which brand you run isnít helping or hurting those 99% of racers anyway.
Old 09-22-2022, 07:13 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by RevolutionM View Post
I think what the local fast guys run is way more important to 99.9% of racers anyway, honestly I think all the buggies are so close which brand you run isnít helping or hurting those 99% of racers anyway.
Thats 100% accurate. I know at my local track the fast guy was sponsored by brand A. Next 6 months majority of folks were running brand A.
Old 09-25-2022, 01:41 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Buckland View Post
There are more special features:
the evolved geometry featuring ball suspension or Chub mode choice, ultra wide chassis, the vertical links brake system,
4 screws mounted front radioplate supporting a floating tank and radiobox,
with also, ultra flex balance with the standalone gaz servo mount opposite the engine mount, double volume central diff, upperarms/ links choice, ..

It's true the commercial choice, with direct sales, the elite membership/ fee, the prize , are holding back amateur racers from buying .. which was the intention, but this means less sales ..

Last edited by speedy2; 09-26-2022 at 02:43 AM.
Old 09-25-2022, 09:29 PM
Tech Addict

You really got to wonder about people that go by a buggy because it won a world championship.
This implies something is wrong with that mindset; there is not. A vehicle is an important part of the equation to winning a WC. If you know your vehicle is capable of winning a WC, that is one less item on the proverbial checklist of excuses.