Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree28Likes

Best Cheap Intro Nitro

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2020, 08:46 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by frontedge
I would go with a truggy for bashing around in grass. As far as the 8ight rtr being discontinued. I wouldn't worry about that even if it is the full race model parts are exchangeable. It's already been said you may pay a little more up front, but you won't have the constant broken parts. Which add up quick you just mentioned $85 on your dromida.
Okay. I wasn't sure if they were the same model with a different body. That seems to be how it goes with some brands. (Dromida for example. Only body and tires changed)
Old 10-26-2020, 10:11 AM
Tech Apprentice

There seem to be a good amount of hpi cars around me. What models can you still by parts for and what models are still sold new?
I guess if I bought the link of 3 hpi cars I wouldn't need too many parts if it comes with a lot of extras.
Old 10-27-2020, 08:14 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Buying an RS4 hpi

My older brother said he may go half in on the hpi cars. From what I understand, they were the car to buy in the 1990-2000s. Is the link I posted a good deal? I understand this is the "offroad nitro" section, but does anyone have some advice?

After checking on ebay, there appears to be a lot of replacement parts for not that much.

Please let me know what you think. I would only buy them if at least two ran well. (Would go in person)
Old 10-27-2020, 10:14 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

While those HPI cars look like they've definitely been taken care of. Let me give you one example from my current experience. I recently sold 2 HPI Rs4-2/1 On road nitro cars to someone in my area locally. While I was in possession of them (Hand me down from my older brother who bought them back in the late 90s) I wanted to bring them back up to spec and like you, found parts online. But you'll quickly find that *very* specific things are sold out, without any means of getting more. Sure, you can find upgrades like aluminum hubs and what not like I did.

However, the guy I sold it to messaged me back a few days ago and he asked me if I had any gas tanks. In fact I did, just so happened I found some laying around in an old parts box I had. I tried to sell it to him for 10$ because, well it's an old gas tank and I had no use for it - so what the heck. He told me he couldn't in good conscience take it from me at that price because they're just THAT hard to find. He offered me 50$, for an old gas tank - that still had gunk and dirt on it from years of neglect. Sure enough, I googled it and can't find any either at first glance.

Take away is, sure there might be parts available but you can find that you'll have a hard time finding the most oddity of parts. Or even parts that have significant wear n tear that're now discontinued so you just won't find them. Also, on road cars - especially 1/10 scale zoom around like little rats and can be hard to control at first. It'd suck to crash, find new aluminum a-arms and aluminum hub, just to find that you can't replace the driveshaft that's now ever so slightly bent. Again, idk if driveshafts are available but I'm giving an example of a part that might soon never be available.

On a side note, if you do end up purchasing the HPIs - slapping in a slightly bigger engine like a trx3.3 with the two-speed ofna transmission/clutch system will make that thing FLY im talking maybe 60-80 mph with the right gearing and space. Some modifications required but that's the nature of running older cars. You can't find the drop in upgrades usually so you have to tinker.

Also, please note if you're buying those cars that the HPI rs4 has had several evolutions throughout the years and that the EVO3+ parts don't always work on the older chassis. In fact, i'm not sure if they're compatible at all. I guess what i'm trying to say if you have to be careful figuring out part availability because there's several generations to take into account. This hobby typically doesn't like to tell people they what they can still use from previous generations/upgrade from the new one - at least not outright. You'll have to either research or bite the bullet and try it yourself.

Sorry for the long post, don't mean to discourage from the HPI but you're coming from the perspective of "intro nitro" and wanted to give you a heads up since I literally had two of those cars in my household for 20+ years. Of which I only ever saw them run when TX/RX still used CRYSTALS (which was when my brother was technically the owner). I researched for hours upon hours over the past few years and came up with the spreadsheets of what I can do with that car today. In the end, I decided to let it go to someone that was willing to put up with what might be potential compatibility and part availability headaches. The thought of having my brother's old 80mph zipper up and going again was extremely exciting. I even had a donor car to get parts from if one were to "die". But I still couldn't bring myself to do it.

The post from those HPIs do in fact have a lot of spares, which is very good. They also seem very taken care of so there's also that. But understand what buying a 20 year old discontinued car means.
Also this is all related to my personal experiences with the HPI RS4-2/1. Not any of the trucks or buggies etc. You can still find the manuals online too btw!
fyrstormer and Dromida4ever like this.
Old 10-27-2020, 10:29 AM
Tech Adept

Forgot to mention! When the car was doing 80mph (I was only about 8 years old at the time, so bear with me here) it was only possible with that two (or three I forgot) speed transmission from OFNA. He also had an O.S. .18CV-R in there, upgraded from the .15 Hpi puts in stock. I know the trx3.3 lines up with the engine mounts because I tried it myself, but the crank shaft might need to be modified/upgraded to a longer one to fit the two speed clutch bell required.

If i remember correctly too, 80mph was gauged through Mathematical calculations from yours truly (distance/time with conversions). While I'd like to think I was correct with my calculations - I was only 8 years old and if I told my brother I calculated 80mph in front of his other drag racing buddies, i doubt he would tell me to double check again if you catch my drift. Also not to mention I'm used a stopwatch which as I got older I realized could be off by fractions of a second which in turn mean different speeds.

Basically don't take 80mph to heart. For all I know it could've been closer to 70. What I do know is that the slightest turn at top speed, or even a bump on the road immediately sent the car whipping around like a ragdoll, or tumbling down the street - of which you wince every flip and collision that occurs because now there's parts flying everywhere. Back then the biggest concern was finding the RX crystal because it was usually the first thing that flew out! Obviously we don't deal with that problem anymore, not to mention it's more popular to run cars with their bodies on now, rather to the convention of the early 2000s to show off all the aloooominum or upgrades you've spent your entire paycheck on
Dromida4ever likes this.
Old 10-27-2020, 11:10 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Solico
Forgot to mention! When the car was doing 80mph (I was only about 8 years old at the time, so bear with me here) it was only possible with that two (or three I forgot) speed transmission from OFNA. He also had an O.S. .18CV-R in there, upgraded from the .15 Hpi puts in stock. I know the trx3.3 lines up with the engine mounts because I tried it myself, but the crank shaft might need to be modified/upgraded to a longer one to fit the two speed clutch bell required.

If i remember correctly too, 80mph was gauged through Mathematical calculations from yours truly (distance/time with conversions). While I'd like to think I was correct with my calculations - I was only 8 years old and if I told my brother I calculated 80mph in front of his other drag racing buddies, i doubt he would tell me to double check again if you catch my drift. Also not to mention I'm used a stopwatch which as I got older I realized could be off by fractions of a second which in turn mean different speeds.

Basically don't take 80mph to heart. For all I know it could've been closer to 70. What I do know is that the slightest turn at top speed, or even a bump on the road immediately sent the car whipping around like a ragdoll, or tumbling down the street - of which you wince every flip and collision that occurs because now there's parts flying everywhere. Back then the biggest concern was finding the RX crystal because it was usually the first thing that flew out! Obviously we don't deal with that problem anymore, not to mention it's more popular to run cars with their bodies on now, rather to the convention of the early 2000s to show off all the aloooominum or upgrades you've spent your entire paycheck on
Thank you for all the info! I would be happy with 50😀.
I know parts will be hard to find. I was hoping that between what it came with and what I could buy I would be okay. I went to Ebay and searched a few different parts, which were all there (dogbones, clutch bells, belts ect.) I am sure you are right about certain parts not existing.

Well I guess I may still check it out and see how many parts they come with, but it looks like I am back to square one😭
Old 10-27-2020, 11:15 AM
Tech Apprentice

Also if I were to buy the HPIs, what would be a reasonable offer? Hopefully I could get it down at least a little bit, but it seems to be pretty well priced when looking at others.
Old 10-27-2020, 12:49 PM
Tech Apprentice

If I were to buy the rs4s, what parts commonly brake or are hard to find. If I see the person I buy it from has plenty of those parts, I would be more willing to buy it.

Also, how sturdy are these cars? Considering they are still around, they must be somewhat bulletproof.
Old 10-27-2020, 01:14 PM
Tech Apprentice

On ebay, I saw tons of parts for the rs4 3, but next to nothing for the rs4 2. Are parts compatible? Might buy it and sell the rs4 2 if I can't find parts and keep the 3.
what do you guys think?
Old 10-27-2020, 01:25 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Dromida4ever
On ebay, I saw tons of parts for the rs4 3, but next to nothing for the rs4 2. Are parts compatible? Might buy it and sell the rs4 2 if I can't find parts and keep the 3.
what do you guys think?
thats what I’m talking about :/ the 3 is still pretty east to find parts but it’s cause it was released a few years after the 2. I have no idea if they’re compatible. I’d think if they were they’d make the eBay posts something like “XXXX part for HPI rs4-3/2” or something to drive more sales. Kinda how you see similar things for e/nitro variants.
Old 10-27-2020, 01:40 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Solico
thats what I’m talking about :/ the 3 is still pretty east to find parts but it’s cause it was released a few years after the 2. I have no idea if they’re compatible. I’d think if they were they’d make the eBay posts something like “XXXX part for HPI rs4-3/2” or something to drive more sales. Kinda how you see similar things for e/nitro variants.
You are probably right. I may still buy them. Drive the 2 until I run out of parts and keep the 3 going. Or I'll just let my older brother have the 2. XD.

Would anyone recommend the 3 since parts are still somewhat available?

I remember thinking that HPI cars were the coolest when I got the tower hobbies magazine, especiallythe 1/5. I never thought I might actually get an HPI. I sure do miss those giant catalogs!
Old 10-27-2020, 03:18 PM
Tech Apprentice

I know this is off topic, but does horizon send out a big catalog once a year like tower? Never bought from them. Shipping was cheaper at amain😀
Old 10-27-2020, 04:31 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I don't think so. They sometimes send me paper catalogs for a month or two after I buy something from them. But paper catalogs are a waste of resources nowadays. Nothing beats having a search function.
token and Dromida4ever like this.
Old 10-27-2020, 05:37 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by fyrstormer
I don't think so. They sometimes send me paper catalogs for a month or two after I buy something from them. But paper catalogs are a waste of resources nowadays. Nothing beats having a search function.
I know, but I still liked flipping through the papers. It was also before I had a phone. XD
Old 10-28-2020, 01:09 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by fyrstormer
Nothing beats having a search function.
Well, there are plenty of users on this forum who disagree and drop their most simple and common questions at any time.
token likes this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.