Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
If you were going to buy a Truggy, what would you buy? >

If you were going to buy a Truggy, what would you buy?

Like Tree4Likes

If you were going to buy a Truggy, what would you buy?

Old 09-13-2020, 01:41 PM
Tech Rookie

Default If you were going to buy a Truggy, what would you buy?

Titles says it all, I'm looking into getting a Nitro Truggy, I've always wanted to race 1/8 scale and I have a really nice looking track about and hour and half from me, going to check it out next week sometime and see what everyone is running there. Also have a few more tracks a but farther away, this is the first time I've ever been close to a track sized for 1/8 scale stuff.

I've looked into the Associated RC8T3.2 but I've always heard that the Asian stuff is top of the food chain in 1/8 scale (Kyosho, Mugen, Serpent, etc) Also heard that Hot Bodies has a really good kit, so IDK where to start lol. Price is not an issue. I know this is a volatile question to ask but I just wanna hear what people have to say about each kit.

Jake
Old 09-13-2020, 02:17 PM
Tech Master

I have a Mugen MBX8T an a AE RC8B3.1. Honestly I like them both pretty much the same, but I lean towards my Mugen more because it suits my driving better for some reason. The Techno truck is supposed to be really good, but I hav no experience w/ them. There is also the new Serpent truck but I have heard a few bad things about it.
Old 09-13-2020, 02:25 PM
Tech Initiate

I am somewhat biased as I own it already but the MP10T has been phenomenal for me. Really good out of the box. Has incredible amounts of steering and is very agile, handles like a buggy on steroids. I have about 8 hours run time on it now and it is a tank.

The only “cons” i have found are the body is paper thin so not very durable with no aftermarket drop in options and the rear axles bottom out and bend so you should probably swap them for the ST-RR ones.
Galatians2 20 likes this.
Old 09-13-2020, 04:44 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have two serpent 811 truggy’s and they are good. Not sure about the new ones. I would by another serpent in a heart beat. If I didn’t get a serpent I would get a Xray.
Old 09-13-2020, 04:51 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

TLR 8xt
Old 09-13-2020, 05:41 PM
Super Moderator

Location: a very small town in wisconsin that is in the middle of absolutely no where
Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

coming from serpent(8 years) to kyosho the mp10t has been a wonderful truggy. i was 1.6 secs a lap faster ont he same track with worse conditions out of the box. having the truggy now for almost a year i have been very competitive.. the new serpent i cant speak for though. looks nice but was late to the party so i switched brands. most of the newer truggies you really cant go wrong with.. just my opinion. jeremy
Galatians2 20 likes this.
Old 09-14-2020, 03:49 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the replies guys! I was looking at the Kyosho and Mugen and then I saw the Associated truck, gonna ride over to the shop next week sometime and see what all parts they stock and what they recommend and go from there. I really like the fact the Kyosho has C-Hubs vs PB front end but holy crap is that body ugly lol, maybe someone will come out with an aftermarket soon!

Jake
Old 09-14-2020, 11:20 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Tekno has a new truggy coming out as well in November/December. Their vehicles are always very durable and they also have a full assortment of buggies as well. Either way you have a pretty good selection there to look at. Good luck!
Old 09-14-2020, 01:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Check out the 8xt. It comes with electric and nitro and all Losi parts including hop-ups are 50% of online. A few good engines and electronics are selling at a discount called fall savings, o.s. speeds also part of that with the newest engines selling cheapest (b2103) and a few good older speeds like the ty2 and ty110% are 370$ I actually got rebuilds for my engines a couple days ago and was stoked. Normally I don’t buy much other then on here in the sale section, I hate breaking in engines lol. So if u do want something good at a discount there’s plenty of good stuff that’s turn key. And it helps your fellow racer when he sells really good stuff at sponsor prices. Look for those deals as they come threw. And are scooped up fast.
Old 09-15-2020, 09:08 AM
Tech Rookie

Ahh, good to know about the OS motors, thanks! The Tekno looks really nice and the Losi is sweet too. Looks like you can't really go wrong with any of them lol.

Jake
Old 09-15-2020, 10:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

All the new version Truggys are nice. one thing to help with your decision making is parts availability (support) in your area. Look to see what the other guys are running at the track you want to race at. You don't want to be that one guy that has the one off truck and no parts.LOL. I've had Serpent, AE and Tekno and Kyosho they were all fun to race, good luck with your decision and have fun!!
Old 09-17-2020, 12:53 PM
Tech Elite

TLR 8ight XT/TE
Old 09-20-2020, 12:14 AM
Tech Adept

Default Hobao hyper st pro kit

I have 4x hyper st pro kits and they have been super tough for me..
The 1st one has more than 10x gallon on it, including bashing, high jumps and track time and nothing broke so far..
I am very happy with the handling and driving characteristics of them, that is why I have 4 of them!!
​​​​​​Off course the others mentioned here are of higher quality and price than the st pro but it all depends on what you need it for.
For racing there are better more adjustable truggies than the st pro for sure.
Old 09-21-2020, 08:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Xray XT8, it's nice having one truggy that could easily be converted to Electric on the same platform.
Old 09-21-2020, 02:45 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by snwchris View Post
Xray XT8, it's nice having one truggy that could easily be converted to Electric on the same platform.
All all the parts in the box for both though.. Asking cause I dont konw

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.