Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Need advice: What do I do with this vintage Inferno? >

Need advice: What do I do with this vintage Inferno?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By JayBay13
  • 3 Post By Losi215
  • 1 Post By JayBay13

Need advice: What do I do with this vintage Inferno?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2020, 05:45 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default Need advice: What do I do with this vintage Inferno?

So I inherited this buggy from a friend, and I'm just not sure what to do with it. It's a Kyosho Inferno MP 7.5. Looks like he went through and upgraded the heck out of it - it's all aluminum - not a plastic part to be found. I think he probably rebuilt it and then let it sit, I'm sure it hasn't been run in well over 10 years. I'm not a nitro guy myself. I'm really just getting into r/c racing and I barely have time for the electric buggy's I have now. I'd love to get this going just to try nitro out, but I don't know it it's worth the hassle. Doubt I'd ever try to race it. It will probably end up being a shelf queen. I've got a bunch more brand new GPM alloy parts to go with it, too. I'll probably upgrade the rest of the bits that haven't been replaced yet.

I just wanted to share and get some thoughts. Is this worth anything? Were these a decent buggy back in the day? How much effort do you think it would be for a total noob to get it fired up again? Thanks!

petersen114 likes this.
Old 07-28-2020, 05:56 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hey there,

so that’s a really nice buggy you got there. The Kyosho 7.5 were loved in there days, Kyosho has always been top quality. If you’re looking to get into nitro, I would hold onto this and just run it in parking lots, grass, and dirt and don’t beat the hell out of it .I certainly wouldn’t try racing with it either. but if you got it for a good price and you like it, I would try and get it running. It’s not worth crazy bucks, even with all that aluminum which adds no value whatsoever to the kit. It also appears to have a team Orion .28 that looks super clean. Not to sure about those engines in general, but I think it’s an awesome car that with a bit of work, you could get a nice reliable nitro car to just mess around with. So many people take this hobby way to seriously, it’s all about money and racing and far too many people have forgotten the meaning of fun in our hobby. So what do I think about it? I think you got a sweet, 15+ year old nitro car that looks perfectly workable and I’d have fun with it if you really want to, no matter what anyone has to say about it. Hope this helps

Last edited by Losi215; 07-28-2020 at 06:23 PM.
Old 07-29-2020, 10:28 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Thanks for the advice! Yeah I think I'll spend some time on it and see if I can get her going, just to rip around and make that sweet nitro noise.
Losi215 likes this.
Old 07-29-2020, 11:08 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by JayBay13
Thanks for the advice! Yeah I think I'll spend some time on it and see if I can get her going, just to rip around and make that sweet nitro noise.
no problem! And yes I would try and get it running. At first glance you’re going to need a fuel tank, and air filter set, I would check what kind of servos you have and if they are analog(old school), I would upgrade them to more modern digital servos to play well with a modern radio set up if that’s what you’re doing. Check you’re drivetrain and make sure everything rolls,turns, and moves freely. Take your time with it and get it running. If you have any questions about things let me know, I am not an expert by any means but I’ve been doing this long enough to be able to help and answer questions. Good luck,👍
Old 07-29-2020, 11:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

It has a Orion Wasp .28 nitro engine.
Old 07-29-2020, 11:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

That orion wasp is been said to be a rather pia.. some tout it as junk.. don’t know may be a pain to start and hold a tune.
Old 07-29-2020, 02:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Juglenaut
That orion wasp is been said to be a rather pia.. some tout it as junk.. don’t know may be a pain to start and hold a tune.
this is correct. That picco o1 comp is a much better motor. Some of the orion wasp stuff was made by picco (the early REV engines) but theres also the engines built by toki which are other than the force motors from hong nor probably the worst nitro engines ever made
Old 07-29-2020, 05:25 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by HaulinBass
this is correct. That picco o1 comp is a much better motor. Some of the orion wasp stuff was made by picco (the early REV engines) but theres also the engines built by toki which are other than the force motors from hong nor probably the worst nitro engines ever made
Laughing hysterically right now thinking about my old Ofna buggies with the hyper and force engines. By far, the worst nitro engines I’ve ever had in my entire life. Thanks for the memories
Old 07-30-2020, 10:27 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by HaulinBass
but theres also the engines built by toki which are other than the force motors from hong nor probably the worst nitro engines ever made
Oh my gosh, I had an OFNA Nexx 8T which was great overall but the absoulte trash of an engine it came with (Force .28) was a dud out the box!! I went through hell before I realized the engine was bad. It would lean bog, even when tuned rich, would overheat, couldn't hold a good idle let alone tune, engine would shut off if you made several high speed passes. Pure nightmare, OFNA wanted no part of it and the kit was brand new.
Old 08-01-2020, 10:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I would try and find an original style body/rims tires , get it painted up like original and put it on a shelf.