Are these easily broken? Kyosho IF488 >

Are these easily broken? Kyosho IF488

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By biggreen

Are these easily broken? Kyosho IF488

Old 07-02-2020, 04:03 PM
Tech Initiate

Questions?? Are these easily broken? Kyosho IF488

The Kyosho ready set tki3 came with cast aluminum steering arms... bought kit used (and broken) from eBay, ordered another set, broke one again in less than a tank of fuel... I'm a 8th scale noob to say the least, I thought my trx4 crawler was fast in it's 2nd speed until I got this...
So I bit the bullet and bought the machined aluminum units for almost 100$ Should I start saving up for another set or should these last?
Old 07-02-2020, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator

Location: a very small town in wisconsin that is in the middle of absolutely no where
Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

the 488 hubs will last a long time.. the cast aluminum ones are soft.. you will be fine for a long while unless you hit something full speed.. curb. tree. fence..
Old 07-03-2020, 11:39 PM
Tech Initiate

Right on thanks.
on another note.. has anybody had luck with the 26 dollar eBay set? ebay.com/itm/400508264974
they say they are 6060 aluminum...
Old 07-04-2020, 01:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by biggreen View Post
Right on thanks.
on another note.. has anybody had luck with the 26 dollar eBay set? ebay.com/itm/400508264974
they say they are 6060 aluminum...
those are pretty good they look tough. Don't put to much aluminum in your car, spindle and spindle carriers and rear hubs and a steering column top plate is usually as far as u want to go. Don't get aluminum arms or diff cases as your car won't handle and minor crashes will start bending the stuff around it very easy. The plastic parts are engineered to help the car flex upon hard impacts and usually not break. In the past a few cars had issues with broken arms (older mugen and Kyosho buggies) the fix for racers was either another brands plastic arms or carbon arm stiffeners (the ones that covered the entire arm before they started integrating them into the arm which u could probably buy and fit on your kyosho as I believe the mp10 arms fit the older mp9 model.
Old 07-04-2020, 01:51 PM
Tech Initiate

Ok thanks, yeah I don't need an aluminum bling machine, just something that is strong and reliable and flexible in the right places.
Old 07-09-2020, 09:54 AM
Tech Initiate

Attempted to clear some triples and failed miserably, but the IF488 set stayed intact. Glad I bought those.
J.Whiting likes this.