Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Diff oil for most power down in a 1/8 nitro truggy >

Diff oil for most power down in a 1/8 nitro truggy

Diff oil for most power down in a 1/8 nitro truggy

Old 07-02-2020, 01:54 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Diff oil for most power down in a 1/8 nitro truggy

hello, i am wondering what diff oil i should use to make my new truggy perform well... i have a hobao hyper st pro (kit) with a LRP .32 nitro motor. I have been looking around and what diff oil is recommended but have found everyone with a similar setup uses all kinds of different oil viscosity. I am looking for brute power as the truggy is a basher so ideally i want the diffs to be closer to locked to get the most power down possible and i really dont want the power going to the front if it lifts... Please tell me if this is a terrible idea but i also kinda like drifting around so stiff diff oil will help with that anyway. Thanks!
Old 07-07-2020, 10:37 AM
Tech Adept

25k f/ 20c/15r
Old 07-07-2020, 05:50 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

For maximum power, lock all the diffs with epoxy. All other options exist to improve handling, not power distribution. That's why rock crawlers have fully locked drivetrains.

I have ~50k silicone oil in the center diff of my HPI Trophy Truggy, and it pops wheelies when I don't want it to. So you really don't need a locked drivetrain to avoid diffing-out with a truggy.

In my experience, the front and rear diff oil viscosities depend on ride height more than anything else. High-riding monster trucks need thick rear diff oil for good acceleration and thin front diff oil to minimize traction-rolling. At the opposite extreme, touring cars with <10mm ground clearance need thin rear diff oil to avoid uncontrollable oversteer and very thick front diff oil (or a locked front diff) for good acceleration. Most other types of RCs (buggies, truggies, etc.) fall somewhere between those two extremes. (drift cars and rock crawlers are special cases and thus have special drivetrain configurations.)