Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Matt Piva
  • 1 Post By Roelof
  • 1 Post By Matt Piva

Looking For RC Advice

Old 07-01-2020, 07:40 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Looking For RC Advice

I'm wanting to get into the hobby and purchase my first nitro RC. I watched alot of videos and have an idea of the basics of what I want. I'm looking for a gas powered rc truck kit that I can build myself. Where is a good place to get a set like this or a good place to start?

If you need more information or have questions please let me know. I'm excited to get started.

Old 07-01-2020, 07:55 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 54 (97%+)

what scale do you want? there is 1/10 scale and 1/8 scale. if you have the money i would go with an 1/8 scale kit to build and learn on
Old 07-01-2020, 08:10 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by JASON671 View Post
what scale do you want? there is 1/10 scale and 1/8 scale. if you have the money i would go with an 1/8 scale kit to build and learn on
Bigger is always better right? Hahaha. I'd like to do 1/8 scale but I'd like to compare the prices between the 2. I haven't really set a budget yet. If I have to save for a little bit for something better then so be it. I've done searches for "nitro rc kits" but dont really see much that pops up.
Old 07-01-2020, 08:16 PM
Tech Rookie

I just watched a video on YouTube with the Primal Raminator 80cc 1/5 scale truck. I've wanted to get in to RC for,awhile now but that kickstarted my desire again.
Old 07-02-2020, 12:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

If I were you I would stay away from 5th scale and 10th scale, the 5th scale is big heavy slow reacting and in general a big ways off the handling of 8th scale, they just feel like Giants which is cool but they don't have the insane performance u get from 8th scale where u get on the gas and your engines pulls up to 40 thousand rpm, u can pitch 8th scale hard over jumps and get away with over driving. U can't do that with 5th scale or u will quickly break the car which is going to be much more difficult to fix. 8th scale easy to work on, fun to drive and has amazing handling and very big support threw a worldwide community, that's what u get from 8th scale, 5th scale isn't even close to 8th scale yet. 10th scale is great for starting but in my opinion lacks that off-road nitty gritty balls to the wall performance, u will break a 10th scale if u over drove it. They will teach u throttle control tho.

Anyways let's get to funds. If u go to a main and buy a complete kit style race buggy your talking about $500+ kit $250 for engine (os xz .21 blue head spec 2 or werks b5 or b6 pro (150$ for non pro version) and pipe (os 2090 130$ Or werks/Orion/sirio 2013(insane power 50$ or 2058 for top end power $60) and 2 servos ($200 for a set of quality servos (300+ oz torque minimum) then u need a radio on off switch starter box glow ignited tires and the little stuff that's buying everything for a kit. Or u can get a ready to run for around 400-600$ maybe even cheaper if u find a new older style Losi 8 rtr but know that every piece of that rtr is made completely different then a kit and will all apart faster and servos will break really fast and engine will be slow.

Mow u can do the smart way, my way. Find a decently used set up on the for sale threads, I've picked up full blown race kits fully hopped up with little use for under 200$ all day which is Mike's better then any stock kit car and in a different universe from a rtr car. U can find os speeds $600+ engines new on here all day for 350$ or even a standard race engine like a werks stock or werks pro for 100-200$ and then servos there's plenty up right now 200+$ servos for 70$. Super cheap. U will find the same level stuff in the for sale threads as u will at races because there's a lot of good racers who use there stuff for a couple days and then get rid of it cause they are sponsored drivers and can afford to get rid of gallon old stuff. That's your go to if u wanna find quality for butt cheap
Galatians2 20 likes this.
Old 07-02-2020, 01:15 PM
Tech Lord

I think you have to take a look into truggy models. Most racing brands have one and come as a kit.
petersen114 likes this.
Old 07-02-2020, 07:15 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Matt Piva View Post
Mow u can do the smart way, my way. Find a decently used set up on the for sale threads, I've picked up full blown race kits fully hopped up with little use for under 200$ all day which is Mike's better then any stock kit car and in a different universe from a rtr car. U can find os speeds $600+ engines new on here all day for 350$ or even a standard race engine like a werks stock or werks pro for 100-200$ and then servos there's plenty up right now 200+$ servos for 70$. Super cheap. U will find the same level stuff in the for sale threads as u will at races because there's a lot of good racers who use there stuff for a couple days and then get rid of it cause they are sponsored drivers and can afford to get rid of gallon old stuff. That's your go to if u wanna find quality for butt cheap
I have been looking around all day and watching different videos and I'm kind of liking the company Traxxas. I see they have a truck called the Maxx which also has a bigger brother the X Maxx. I don't know a lot about the different parts but from what I see those look pretty damn decent. And I watched some videos of them being "bashed" I think is what you call it.

the other two that I found that I really like are...
1) the Arrma Kraton 8s. It looks really rigid however a downfall that I found was parts are really expensive if you break something. Or I guess when you break something not if LOL

2) Kyosho Mad Crusher also looks really nice and durable as well

but out of all of those I really like the Traxxas brand. What is everybody's thoughts on that?

and yes I know I went to battery operated. I didn't know much about the difference between the two other than one took a battery and one took gas. I think I liked the idea of a gas powered remote control car. But when it comes down to it I want something I can have fun with and it seemed the upkeep with Nitro was a lot more.
Old 07-03-2020, 06:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

Are you racing(on a track) or bashing the truck you want?
Old 07-05-2020, 12:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mikesd1980 View Post
Are you racing(on a track) or bashing the truck you want?
Sounds like this guys a basher. Nothing wrong with a basher I just wish the you listened. Spend 800$ on a maxx and realize in a few years race cars are a universe better, for even bashing a truggy would murder any low quality traxxas rtr. But u have to start somewhere. If I was this guy I would get an erevo 2.0 or a Losi ready to run and just use it for what he can.
mikesd1980 likes this.
Old 07-06-2020, 04:45 AM
Tech Apprentice

My advice is to buy a 1/8 or 1/10 electric and then buy a nitro down the track if you still want one.