Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Hotbodies D8T is there a 2 speed transmission? >

Hotbodies D8T is there a 2 speed transmission?

Hotbodies D8T is there a 2 speed transmission?

Old 06-20-2020, 12:24 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Hotbodies D8T is there a 2 speed transmission?

So I'm thinking of buying a hotbodies d8t but it is single speed. I want a 2 speed. Is there a 2 speed made for this and also what clutchbell would I use in conjunction? Any help greatly appreciated!!
Old 06-21-2020, 08:54 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Donít believe thereís a two speed but you wonít need it with the right setup my d8t was fast
Old 06-21-2020, 09:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Two speeds in nitro truggy wouldn't make your truggy any better for driving as these engines were made to pull up to 40 thousand rpm, they pull long. And transmissions add more moving parts that just robs power and is a maintenance nightmare. Stay far away from them.
Old 06-22-2020, 03:36 AM
Tech Champion

2-speeds are fun. Just the sound adds a lot of fun to the whole experience. Truggies are lame for the top-speed experience IMO. In terms of speed too, you won't really find a single-speed truggy which will give you the low-end wheelie torque, plus the 40mph+ top end.. Yeah, yeah, maybe with some overpriced crazy modded engine, and a just-so setup. But by and large single speed truggies are more at home on a track.. I would love to have a nitro truggy with a 2-speed - both the sound and the fun factor, as well as performance..

The old TT ST-1 had a 2-speed option, but as a rule truggies don't. It would take a fairly involved project to find one and make it work... But hey, anything's possible..

I've had LST2s for years, and for the most part their transmissions are no more maintenance than a center diff IMHO... Especially a center diff dealing with brushless power.. Savages and Traxxas though - different story.. But there it's not just the transmissions.............

Last edited by Herrsavage; 06-22-2020 at 09:01 PM.
Old 06-22-2020, 10:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

How about the two speed from the GT cars HB has the rgt8,the 1/8th gt cars all have two speeds, use the same type of clutch and the two speed mounts in the same location as the center diff. The most you would have to do is maybe clearance the chassis and possibly shim the clutch a little different gearing would probably be quite high though as most gts use truggy gears with buggy sized tires
Old 06-22-2020, 10:58 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Herrsavage View Post
2-speeds are fun. Just the sound adds a lot of fun to the whole experience. Truggies are lame for the top-speed experience IMO. In terms of speed too, you won't really find a single-speed truggy which will give you the low-end wheelie torque, plus the 40mph+ top end.. Yeah, yeah, maybe with some overpriced crazy modded engine, and a just-so setup. But by and large single speed truggies are more at home on a track.. I would love to have a nitro truggy with a 2-speed - both the sound and the fun factor, as well as performance..

The old TT ST-1 had a 2-speed option, but by and large most truggies don't. It would take a fairly involved project to find one and make it work... But hey, anything's possible..

I've had LST2s for years, and for the most part their transmissions are no more maintenance than a center diff IMHO... Especially a center diff dealing with brushless power.. Savages and Traxxas though - different story.. But there it's not just the transmissions.............
+1
Old 06-22-2020, 12:34 PM
Tech Lord

There is probably no direct fit but when getting a GT gearbox with its maching mounts and clutch you can replace the centerdiff by making it fit and find the right lenth shafts.
Old 06-25-2020, 12:03 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hey everyone thank you for the responses. I dont think I will be going with a truggy as there doesnt seem to be 2 speed options. I am going to find maybe an onroad car to have speed and a 2 speed. I just found the hotbodies with a nice picco in it for $400 but I am gonna pass.
Old 06-25-2020, 12:34 AM
Tech Champion

I don't know how experienced you are, but FWIW, as someone who also likes speed..., I bought a 10th scale Kyosho a long time ago. It was a good, solid - and fast car. BUT..., what I came to find about onroad cars is, however cool they look, the reality of running them is not really what you envision. And that mostly comes down to having to have a place to run them. You need good tires, a road with no pebbles on it, etc.. It's amazing also how filthy dirty onroad cars get for never going offroad.. I still have an Ofna DM-1 (which I ran recently - see below..), and it is fun.. But IMO it is very limited and limiting due to needing a perfect place to run it...

If you're really set on an onroad car, get a GT car.. Not sure who all has them these days - I know Serpent does, but maybe also still Ofna, maybe Sworkz?

It really depends what you want to do - and most importantly when it comes to deciding what kind of car to get - WHERE YOU CAN AND PLAN TO RUN IT....

I just paid €600 for a new Arrma Kraton + 2x 6S lipos, and after one weekend I'm feeling a little uncertain.. This truck is made for flying, but I mostly just like blasting around back and forth, maybe the odd jump.. But due to the metal spur gear it's really loud, compared to my MT4 G3 with plastic spur.. - so I can't really run it in the street in front of my house without (feeling like I'm...) annoying the (old) neighbors... You - or well at least I - often end up surprised about how these little unexpected things can alter the experience of having these different types of RC cars...

ps That D8T with Picco might be just what you need... Depending on the variables - where to run it etc...