• 1 Post By smash8ight
  • 2 Post By 10racer
  • 2 Post By 1evo RRR Driver
  • 1 Post By GZilla

Building a Nitro Buggy - New to Nitro

Old 01-01-2020, 04:27 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Building a Nitro Buggy - New to Nitro

Okay, so I have decided to build a nitro R/C car - fairly budget friendly - and am looking for final advice for throwing together a decently setup buggy for a decent price.

I have had several electric R/C cars - my favorites being my E Revo VXL 2.0 and a (previously owned) Traxxas Slash 4x4. I also have a 1/16 E Revo. I have some family members getting pretty deep in the nitro buggy scene and I'm wanting to throw together a buggy that can somewhat keep up with them. Running my E Revo with them is fun only for so long as my batteries die and the fun is over for me.

My wife is on me about the cost of another R/C car so I'm trying to be budget friendly. All of my electric vehilces have always been RTR and I've made upgrades along the way with each of them, but this will be my first car to piece together.

I purchased a Mugen Seiki MBX7 roller off auction in excellent condition for $185 - this is currently my only purchase.

I am looking at a pair of Savox servo's (one high torque, one high speed) for about $70 each

I can get a used Spektrum DX5C for around $ 90 (some with receivers for a little more)

Looking at a couple of Protek LS-5 engines with manifold and pipe in the $140-150 range used, otherwise maybe a Novarossi BX3 or similar...

With miscellaneous parts putting me at around $600 in total (realistically probably $650 once its all said and done).

Do you guys feel this is a good route to take versus an RTR? Anything you would suggest, avoid, change?

Thanks!
Old 01-01-2020, 07:48 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I would only buy a used engine from someone I know and trust. Be careful about that.
Buckland likes this.
Old 01-01-2020, 07:58 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by frewster View Post
I would only buy a used engine from someone I know and trust. Be careful about that.
Absolutely. Reading the descriptions on some of the used engines, it can be hard to tell how much use and abuse they have taken. Also, I would sure hate to buy one only to be have a bad engine or one that lasts one session. I will only be buying one if its from a truly trusted seller and I feel I can trust them enough to take the risk, otherwise I will fork out a little more money for a new engine.

Thanks!
Old 01-02-2020, 03:58 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Keep in mind most 8th scale buggy motors are bump start.......what that means is fly wheel is smaller and motor mount is lower.most cars with pullstarts have larger flywheel and taller motor mounts.
I would suggest starting your experience out with a less expensive engine but a new engine.that way you can figure out the break in and tuning with instructions on carb settings to start.
you will need a pull start engine with a small pull start,unless you want a bump box.....another expense that I don't think you were planning.
10racer likes this.
Old 01-02-2020, 04:30 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by smash8ight View Post
Keep in mind most 8th scale buggy motors are bump start.......what that means is fly wheel is smaller and motor mount is lower.most cars with pullstarts have larger flywheel and taller motor mounts.
I would suggest starting your experience out with a less expensive engine but a new engine.that way you can figure out the break in and tuning with instructions on carb settings to start.
you will need a pull start engine with a small pull start,unless you want a bump box.....another expense that I don't think you were planning.
+1 Buying your first nitro kit persay is like having a baby @17 you are scared to death but you always make because you study others. That is my suggestion too, watch videos of the pro drivers mechanics and elite drivers. There is your best information of what to expect and what not to do. Trust me most folks get scared but it is being patient is the game my friend. Engine learning I say two for sure maybe 3. #1 Adam Drake, #2 Gord Tessman, #3 King. The S/H engine line is affordable and easy to train on.
Goof and Bigv like this.
Old 01-02-2020, 04:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Do not buy a used engine!!!! And take a look at fly sky transmitter, have a nice one for cheap
Old 01-02-2020, 04:37 PM
Tech Elite

Nova direct. U can get a nice P5 or elite 5 for a good price. Great engines
Buckland and smash8ight like this.
Old 01-02-2020, 04:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

you'll need to budget for a starter box, a few extra glow plugs, glow igniter, battery(s) for starter box, pit bag, fuel bottle...
Old 01-02-2020, 05:59 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Pull start engine that work for non Pull start mounts.
dynamite .21 dyne0570=$110.00
sh engines pt002b3=$125.00
actually they are both sh engines if I'm not mistaken...but will break in easily and last for gallons....a lot more budget friendly than a 400.00 race motor and 150 bump box setup.....
A lot of folks will say you HAVE to spend a ton of money to get up and running.....but you don't....
Old 01-03-2020, 09:39 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the responses guys! Yes, I feel I had a good grasp on the electric R/C stuff... but this is like starting over and the info is overwhelming! I appreciate the tips.
10racer likes this.
Old 01-07-2020, 10:43 PM
Tech Apprentice

Just budget for a starter box. I see nice slightly used ones with a good battery for $70 on here all the time.