Drill holes on the wing

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Psicodromo
  • 2 Post By morgoth

Drill holes on the wing

Old 12-23-2019, 12:41 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Drill holes on the wing

I would like to try a wing with holes, what differences do you notice? It is improved in the jumps?, speed, acceleration, if it maintains stability, grip and traction in the rear ...

What type of bit do you use to make them?, metal, wood, reamer? What diameter of holes do you make it?

petersen114 likes this.
Old 12-30-2019, 11:36 AM
Tech Fanatic

if I use a wing with holes the car will turn more and more quickly in curves and will have less downforce and therefore less grip behind a faster but less easy car. you can make holes with a 5mm bit or use a reamer and make them by eye
scuse me i have use google translate
Old 12-30-2019, 12:24 PM
Tech Elite

If I was to drill holes in my rear wing(which I would not) id use a center drill combined drill countersink at a lower speed like 500rpm... Id also use a set of calipers to keep holes exactly in place I want
Old 12-30-2019, 12:43 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Do the Pros????

Originally Posted by Psicodromo View Post
I would like to try a wing with holes, what differences do you notice? It is improved in the jumps?, speed, acceleration, if it maintains stability, grip and traction in the rear ...

What type of bit do you use to make them?, metal, wood, reamer? What diameter of holes do you make it?

We
hen I have a question like this I try to go and look at the Pros cars and see if they are using holes and then I go to the roar handbook to see if it is banned or not. If I donít see nothing on it then it canít be much to it. All I see is a little less downforce
Old 12-30-2019, 01:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

well that answers my question lol.

Must of read my mind OP.
Old 12-30-2019, 02:21 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

I use a body hole reamer. No issues, makes for nice clean holes. Works quite well.

Last edited by 1/8 IC Fan; 12-30-2019 at 02:32 PM.
Old 12-30-2019, 04:13 PM
Tech Elite

The car jumps better in the wind. If the nose of the car stays up when jumping, making holes in the wing will make the front come down as there is no wind. Moving the wing forward also provides this feeling. And you have a bit more steering (less rear support) in fast sweepers and chicanes.
Evoking1230 and Psicodromo like this.

Last edited by morgoth; 12-31-2019 at 11:00 AM.
Old 11-04-2022, 02:40 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by the rc guy View Post
If I was to drill holes in my rear wing(which I would not) id use a center drill combined drill countersink at a lower speed like 500rpm... Id also use a set of calipers to keep holes exactly in place I want
Sounds like a major PITA. Is it worth it? That's for YOU to decide! Personally, I want to try it, but I'm not getting my hopes up in terms of major positive benefits!

Good advice on the drill bit at a low speed. I just managed to kind of mess up my wing trying to drill the holes, even while using a drill press (at low'ish speed) for stability (EDIT: with a twist drill bit). Nope! The plastic still hooked. Then I remembered what someone said a our local track: use a stepped drill bit, like this Stepped Drill Bit Example. Using a body reamer does work well, also, but the point is to NOT make hole-drilling of wings a monumental waste of time.

EDIT: The center drill bit, per RC Guy's recommendation is probably the best choice, as the stepped drill bit as I mentioned above is too bit be be practical. The 1/4" hole (about 6mm) is at the bottom of the bit anyway.

Last edited by Ackchyually; 11-14-2022 at 06:39 AM.
Old 11-04-2022, 05:22 PM
Tech Elite

Old 11-06-2022, 10:03 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Ackchyually View Post
Sounds like a major PITA. Is it worth it? That's for YOU to decide! Personally, I want to try it, but I'm not getting my hopes up in terms of major positive benefits!

Good advice on the drill bit at a low speed. I just managed to kind of mess up my wing trying to drill the holes, even while using a drill press (at low'ish speed) for stability. Nope! The plastic still hooked. Then I remembered what someone said a our local track: use a stepped drill bit, like this Stepped Drill Bit Example. Using a body reamer does work well, also, but the point is to NOT make hole-drilling of wings a monumental waste of time.
https://www.avidrc.com/product/5/acc...cessories.html