• 1 Post By mx493tony
  • 2 Post By TurnNBurn

Nitro 1/8 truggy/buggy racing

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2019, 09:57 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default Nitro 1/8 truggy/buggy racing

I’ve been off and on with this hobby for a while now and I finally decided to quit racing Moto after 25+yrs and fully make this my main hobby. It’s so similar to MX but without the hospital bills, lol, and being an automotive technician for a living I love working on the cars and tuning. I’ve never raced before but I’ve been driving for a little bit and I just would like to know how to get into racing. I know of a few tracks like Medina RC track, and the RC factory near Columbus but what other tracks or what not. I don’t mind driving I’m used to it from Moto. I checked LiveRC and tried searching this forum but it was pretty vague. Here’s my backyard track I built a few years ago. I just plowed it so I have a fresh canvas for a new layout next year. Any tips would be much appreciated 🍻🍻🍻🍻
Cain, uDi_MP7.5, Micah78 and 1 others like this.
Old 09-26-2019, 10:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

You mentioned the RC factory in Jeffersonville, do you live in Ohio? I’m not far from there in Maineville Oh near Kings Island. Awesome home track!😎🍻
ryanster1999 likes this.
Old 09-27-2019, 02:34 AM
Tech Adept

I live about 30min west from Cleveland. And thank you. my grandfather and I put a lot of time into it 🙂👍👍
Micah78 likes this.
Old 09-27-2019, 02:38 AM
Tech Adept

I did just recently see that my old favorite MX track, beans rd in southern Ohio built a badass track and I’ll start heading back down there but god damn its gonna be hard going there without my bikes 😭😭😭😭
Old 09-27-2019, 05:49 AM
Tech Champion

Is Stateline still around?
Old 09-30-2019, 07:13 PM
Tech Master

If you know of any local hobby shops in the area, it wouldn’t be a bad idea to stop by and ask - I’m sure a good portion of their clientele probably races, and as such, they’ll know where.

As for racing, I would encourage you to go by a track as a spectator one day, and just get to know the folks. I think you’ll find more often than not that racers are more than willing to answer questions. Just don’t ask the guy who probably looks like he’s in the middle of having to rebuild his entire buggy for the next heat, lol.

If you definitely decide that you want to race, check with the track/race organizer, but chances are, you’ll probably need a ROAR membership. For ROAR affiliated tracks, the biggest perk for them is insurance backed by ROAR, and as such, they require all participants to be ROAR Registered. You can probably get that done right there at the track.

After that? Well, I guess it’s just getting yourself organized to make sure you have everything you need for a day at the track - but then with your Moto experience, you’ve probably got that part nailed.

Good Luck, and Happy Racing! I’m just pulling things together to return to the hobby myself, so I know that anticipation of wanting to get going - it’s crazy that I feel that excitement all over again.
ryanster1999 and mx493tony like this.
Old 10-01-2019, 05:35 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks a lot man I’m gonna head to a few races and talk to some of the better racers and see what they have to say. I really appreciate the help