Coming back to the hobby after 10+ years >

Coming back to the hobby after 10+ years

Like Tree2Likes

Coming back to the hobby after 10+ years

Old 09-28-2019, 03:52 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Coming back to the hobby after 10+ years

Hey guys,

When I was a teen I was really into 1/8 nitro buggies and 1/10 e touring (back in Germany, I used to race in the Tamiya championship).

After 13 years, now living in the states, I would like to pick up my old hobby!

I need a completely new setup. The easiest would be to get an RTR and upgrade when parts break.

However, I enjoy building my car and I want to do it from scratch. I like to understand the mechanics by building it.

I will be driving the buggy mostly on a track, some occasional bashing on a field.

So I am looking for a 1/8 buggy with total cost < $1500 including RC, car, motor, starter box, accessories like air filters, damper & diff oil etc.

I have seen plenty of threads about the pros/cons of 1/8 buggies but they went into the details of specific parts that I just could not follow.

I was thinking of the Kyosho MP10 because I know the name and Kanai is a legend. But now there are so many other brands out there (Losi, Xray, Mugen, HB, Tekno, Agama, Team Associated, JQ racing). What car is durable and easy to drive in its stock settings but gives me the options to grow.

​​​​​​​Also, I don't know which stores are good (Amainhobbies, hobbyking, amazon..), which electronics (back in the day it was graupner & futaba), which motors (I used to have a LRP), which manufacturers offer good support and supply of replacement parts and what else to look out for.

My initial research for the other parts concluded to the following:

Motor: ProTek Samura R03, Almain suggest it on their website and mentioned it on their youtube channel.

Servos: ProTek RC 130T, are they strong enough?

Radio: Spektrum RC DX5 Rugged

Battery: Protek Lipo 7.4V/2600mAh

Filters: ProTek Preoiled Airfilters

Old 09-30-2019, 11:37 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If you are planning to mostly club race you don't really need the best of anything. I am super cheap guy when it comes to this hobby so my advice may not be what you are looking for but I'll try to help you with what I've learned. I got back in the hobby back in February after about 8 years off. Most of everything is better than it was but not everything will make you faster on the track. As far as kits go, Kyosho would probably be my last recommendation. At my track everyone that ran them switched to other brands and everyone is faster with what ever buggy they got. I am a little bit loyal to HB and I love their cars but I am not sure I would recommend them to you either. They are easy to run fast and forgiving to drive but they are not easy builds. You can't even build the stock setup without option parts. Plus its a little on the expensive side. The AE b3.1 on the other hand is awesome. Setups are everywhere. Most shops have parts. It will turn with anything. It has a great clutch included in the kit and its fast out of the box. Check out fiercercsolutions. He's got some of the best prices. Another car to look at would be the new Tekno EB48 2.0. It looks really good. Tebo runs my home track and I have seen it out there but of course he is going to make any buggy look really good.

On to the other aspects of the car you will need.
Servo's- Savox 2274sg for steering and savox 1258 for throttle
Engine-If you will be racing expert Protek samurai, Sportsman nova p5xlt or Protek LS-5. I have the LS-5 broken in by Drake using the EBIS method. I have won two sportsman trophy races with this engine. I have yet to have a flame out. Power is awesome from mid to high rpm. I have had excellent runtime with a 053 pipe. I plan on moving up to expert and I am using this engine.
Tires- I have been using James racing and they have been great and they are supper cheap. Get them at dialedrc or eBay. Prolines and AKA's are great too but more expensive.
Radio- Mt44 is awesome. Futaba has some great radios too.
Air filters, I oil mine myself with mx no toil filter oil and then clean them with no toil cleaner. It came in a package for less than $20 and is enough to last me for years. I clean and reuse.
Also check out RCjuice. They have some great products. They have a great engine warmer for $20. Cross check prices on eBay. Sometimes they have better deals from their eBay store.
Old 09-30-2019, 11:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

You can pretty much flip a coin these days; they all offer a competitive chassis. The Proteks are basically O.S. engines for less money, Novas are always good, and I've had great luck with Werks engines on the budget side (this usually becomes a Ford vs Chevy thing). When it comes to servos, Hitec has the hands down best customer service in the industry and make some bullet proof servos at a good price point (and excellent performance).
Old 10-01-2019, 09:12 AM
Tech Elite

I'd go with an Sanwa/Airtronics radio and Hitec 7950 steering servo and 7940 throttle servo.

Everything else you mentioned is pretty good. Protek engine. Xray, Kyosho, buggies.
Old 10-01-2019, 09:50 AM
Tech Fanatic

You kind of answered your own question, but whatever you do, I recommend you just buy a kit over the RTR. In most cases, you will end up buying a lot of upgrade parts, many of which are available in the kit form. Some kits offer turnbuckles, others just have fixed setups, or inferior suspension pets (such as composite shock bodies over aluminum). Adjustability is key, and the kit will pretty much have everything you need (except for maybe some “bling” aluminum parts) to adjust your buggy to suit whatever track you race on.
Old 10-02-2019, 03:40 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Zerodefect View Post
I'd go with an Sanwa/Airtronics radio and Hitec 7950 steering servo and 7940 throttle servo.

Everything else you mentioned is pretty good. Protek engine. Xray, Kyosho, buggies.
I pulled two 7950s out of the pit bag yesterday for the new e-buggy and neither worked so I went searching for a replacement only to find they were discontinued 7950 was replaced by the 9380 it looks like.
token likes this.
Old 10-02-2019, 04:26 AM
Tech Elite

Send them to Hitec for repair. I'll bet it's cheap to fix them.
Old 10-02-2019, 12:12 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 259 (100%+)

hitec is really good about fixing things. Heck, they even fixed some stuff I sent in for free even when I was ready to pay.

From Protek servos, a buddy ran the Protek 155 and liked it alot.

Me personally I run the Tekin T-250 servos for throttle and steering and they work quite well in buggy. Very smooth.
Old 10-02-2019, 04:21 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks, guys!

this is really helpful, thanks for all the recommendations for shops and gear!
After speaking to a few local shops people have advised me for any other buggy than Kyosho which doubles on what you guys advised.

I went through all manuals and a lot of discussions here on the forum to get a deeper understanding of the differences between the cars and ended up with the following four rollers:
  1. - Xray XB8
    • Seems to have the most overall adjustability
    • very high quality
    • more expensive optional/replacement parts
    • availability might be an issue
  2. - Tekno 48.2
    • not sure about the caster built in the front arm
    • the newest model out of the selection, also least tested
    • very popular
  3. - JQ Black edition
    • I like the underdog aspect, even though the guys seems like a total douche to me. Finnish etiquette or not, you gotta represent your brand for the broad audience and this most certainly does not.
    • Seems to have very good customer service & a lot of knowledge sharing on their website
    • not sure if they will be around for long
  4. - AE RC8B3.1 Team Kit
    • good out of the box
    • Very old, there might be an updated version or new model in the near future
    • pivot ball suspension
    • premature wear on certain parts
    • availability of parts
    • availability of setup sheets
anything else to add to the list from a high level perspective?

Last edited by groa23; 10-03-2019 at 12:02 PM.
Old 10-03-2019, 10:26 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 259 (100%+)

few others you may hear about:

Mugen MBX8
Team Losi 8ight-X
Agama 319
Old 10-03-2019, 12:37 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
few others you may hear about:

Mugen MBX8
Team Losi 8ight-X
Agama 319
thanks!
any pros/cons about those models?

Old 10-03-2019, 01:42 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Zerodefect View Post
Send them to Hitec for repair. I'll bet it's cheap to fix them.
Yea, I had them repair a 7940 a few years back and they did it free of charge. Best customer support in the industry for sure; was bummed two of them took a digger though (sure thought they were working when I tossed them in the pit bag but it has been five years LOL).
Old 10-04-2019, 12:40 AM
Tech Elite

Buy a kit. It will offer more performance than a RTR car and it will break less.
The RTR car will cost your more in replacement parts and hopups than a good kit.

I would suggest Mugen, Agama, Xray or maybe the new Tekno. JQ and AE are also fine cars. I would stay away from Kyosho and Losi at the moment. The Kyosho is a bit expensive and can be fragile depening on your driving skills. And the Losi X seems to have some issues at the moment.
And have a look at the track where you will running. If 50% runs AE for example, it would be wise to get AE because you'll get a lot of support at the track.
Old 10-04-2019, 04:46 PM
Tech Adept

Welcome back!

I ran the Xray XB8 2019 model my first year back in over 10 years! The results really surprised me! 100% completion of every race, worst club race finish was 3rd place, best was lapped everyone in 7 minutes. I wrote about it in the Xray XB8 thread as a year end wrap up. Buy NO upgrades, except the 4 Dot front spring (One step harder), and run it stock. If you are doing large events of 100+ competitors, upgrade brakes after stock ones wear out, thats it. Spend money on controls, not upgrades.

Here is my local track, that I did very well on with the Xray, we have some fast locals too! (video is of my E buggy, I ran both E- and Nitro)

Have fun!
Old 10-04-2019, 05:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Do you have a local hobby shop?

Buying something that they stock parts for never hurts.

Also as mentioned, if you get the one oddball brand that NO ONE else runs, then you have issues getting help and more importantly if a need arises for a spare part on race day, you can't even buy one from someone because nobody has parts for your car. Of course this is moot if you're stocking replacement parts, which is always advisable.

Really any of the major brands will be a good product. Kyosho, Serpent, Tekno, Associated, Mugen, X-Ray, Agama, JQ.... Only one I'd steer you away from is Losi as the car has a lot of reported issues.

Personally I really like Tekno a lot. Good quality durable kits, factory support is great. Lots of resources regarding setup, maintenance, etc.. a very active facebook group... have had help from a couple of their team drivers whom for the most part are very nice and helpful. But that's not to take away from any of the others. I have two Serpent buggies and both have been great for me, really durable.... just a couple of broken arms, but that's due to my poor driving.

I personally prefer Sanwa over Spektrum, mainly the interface of the transmitter and the way that you can adjust parameters... Again, more personal preference than anything.
Zerodefect likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service