Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
What Happened to Nitro Stadium Trucks? >

What Happened to Nitro Stadium Trucks?

Like Tree6Likes

What Happened to Nitro Stadium Trucks?

Old 09-12-2019, 01:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default What Happened to Nitro Stadium Trucks?

As I am trying to return to the hobby after an embarrassly long hiatus, I was just thinking earlier today - whatever happened to the 1/10th Nitro Stadium Truck class? Did it just fizzle out after over-exposure? I guess I could argue that it might be equally responsible for the demise of the .15 engine too, as there really isnít a class for those either. Stadium Trucks have always been considered somewhat easy to drive and setup, so I always thought it would make a good stepping stone to 8th scale. Did it fail in that regard? I know that on the on-road side, 1/10th Nitro faded away too (which also happened to use .15 engines), yet here we have 1/10 Nitro TC class. Itís just amazing that the .12 engines in that class today have so much power.

Anyway, just wondering - I could honestly envision a revival of that class if it was given a chance.
Old 09-12-2019, 08:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

It died because 1/8 buggy has superior handling and durability compared to nitro stadium truck. Nitro stadium truck isn't coming back.
Old 09-13-2019, 10:23 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 259 (100%+)

E1 Diablo's take on it has some merit. The improvement of electric vehicle ease of use and runtime (Lipo + brushless basically) and the growth of SCT at the time hurt things.

I also personally think that AE not having the GT2 out for awhile versus the performance the XXXNT out of the box offered hurt it at some of the tracks I saw. Some places it was like a spec class at points as the XXXNTs were just easier to handle versus guys running RC10GTs versus what the pro's were running as far as modded up GTs before the GT2, at least, that was someone commonly mentioned from what I gathered.

Anyway, these days with tracks being how they are with very 1/8 oriented jumps, etc, I guess I could sooner see 1/10 4wd stadium trucks nitro configured have some growth versus 1/0 2wd nitro stadium trucks personally.
token likes this.
Old 09-13-2019, 02:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

You have a point - if a 10th scale off-road Nitro vehicle were ever to get a shot again, it would likely be 4WD - itís kind of hard to handle all that power with just 2WD, and probably the reason why the STís were the first to get the Nitro treatment. The ease of driving with that wide footprint compensated somewhat for it.
Old 09-16-2019, 09:47 AM
Tech Initiate

My first Stadium truck was the 10th scale HB back in 2004/5 I believe. What an awesome platform for bashing. My kid gave it all it had and it begged for more. I put a electric kit in it from a China copy in 07 and it would shred the tires off.
Old 09-19-2019, 04:09 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Always liked the look of the stadium trucks tenth scale is the perfect size seems like nitro in itself is fading out canít even get parts at the local shops itís a shame and I get it itís easier but tuning my nitro is part of the fun and honestly I never have to tweak my engine every time I run it ! Totally off subject
Old 09-20-2019, 05:30 AM
Tech Initiate

Hopefully these things go in cycles, because to me nitro is the only way to go. Maybe when people get bored of the ease of electric and want to get to more authentic type racing with pit stops and refueling, nitro will regain favor. Personally I'd love to see some nitro solid axle monster truck racing.
Old 09-20-2019, 05:45 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by johnnydmd View Post
Hopefully these things go in cycles, because to me nitro is the only way to go. Maybe when people get bored of the ease of electric and want to get to more authentic type racing with pit stops and refueling, nitro will regain favor. Personally I'd love to see some nitro solid axle monster truck racing.
I don’t see nitro returning to popularity it once had. Or even a percentage of that. You’ll probably always have a hardcore segment to it. But it will continue to shrink each year.

Its not as simple as just getting brands to decide. The whole landscape of the hobby has changed. Tracks that were once “ in the middle of nowhere” have become surrounded by suburbs. As much as you might love the sound. Those home owners probably don’t.

Especially in Midwest and east coast, indoor tracks are becoming the only real way to survive. And indoor ventilation systems are not usually cheap.

I’m neither pro or con with nitro. I tried it briefly, but didn’t go well in my suburb.
Cain likes this.
Old 09-20-2019, 08:48 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by johnnydmd View Post
I think nitro needs to continue to go the direction of electric in making the experience easier to enjoy. My first go around was not good, seeing guys who have great experience with nitro fighting with gremlins is not good.

Its been much better this time, I feel the engines are easier to keep running. But anything that can be done to make it easier to do helps to grow numbers and ultimately that is what is needed to keep it going, not just a clique of diehards.

rrb1399 likes this.
Old 09-22-2019, 05:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Most engines are so expensive and pipes are outrageously over priced. I've said it before but you also must have a pit man. Some people just hate pitting and often people want to work on there car before there main not pit for you/me. But I would love to see nitro stadium truck/mini truggy take off.
Old 09-22-2019, 11:35 PM
Tech Elite

Costs as much as nitrobuggy. So what's the point?

Nitro is dying because no racers can pit worth a darn, and we have to hire hobo's at Lowes to pit for us. Nobody wants long nitro mains that eat overpriced tires either.
Old 09-23-2019, 07:20 AM
Tech Legend

Personally, when folks comment about one of the benefits of nitro racing is pit-strategy, I have yet to find this as something beneficial to my enjoyment of the race experience. I could be an odd-ball on that, and maybe its my electric influence which is fine, but coming in for a pit to fuel is not something I find as "wow this is fun!". The actual running of the vehicle, combined with the more realistic sounds is what I like.

If it was somehow possible to get some tech in there that would drastically increase the runtime of a nitro vehicle from where it is now where I could cover say more common 20 to 30 minute mains in 1 tank with reliable running, I think that could be the holy grail for me.

I forget what is common for 1/5 scale guys, but I seem to recall very long runtimes on 1 tank of fuel. something along that lines combined with what seems like easier actual running of the engine could be beneficial.

Ultimately to me, for nitro to continue growing in a sea of electric these days, improvements along those lines can offer some good bang for the buck and maybe get more than just diehards into it.
Old 09-23-2019, 10:40 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Personally, when folks comment about one of the benefits of nitro racing is pit-strategy, I have yet to find this as something beneficial to my enjoyment of the race experience. I could be an odd-ball on that, and maybe its my electric influence which is fine, but coming in for a pit to fuel is not something I find as "wow this is fun!". The actual running of the vehicle, combined with the more realistic sounds is what I like.

If it was somehow possible to get some tech in there that would drastically increase the runtime of a nitro vehicle from where it is now where I could cover say more common 20 to 30 minute mains in 1 tank with reliable running, I think that could be the holy grail for me.

I forget what is common for 1/5 scale guys, but I seem to recall very long runtimes on 1 tank of fuel. something along that lines combined with what seems like easier actual running of the engine could be beneficial.

Ultimately to me, for nitro to continue growing in a sea of electric these days, improvements along those lines can offer some good bang for the buck and maybe get more than just diehards into it.
Thatís simple - build a bigger tank to hold more fuel - but if you build a bigger tank, you still have to worry about keeping the CG low, which means spreading it out... which takes up less usable space on the chassis. I get the excitement of pit stops. The more conservative drivers can try to find that balance of economy vs. speed, and as far as run time, you can go for as long as you have fuel to keep filling the tank. Of course itís not practical because there is point where you just get drained due to the level of concentration required, but ultimately, itís all about the additional runtimes you can get on Nitro.

On the downside, I also get the hassle of needing a good pit man - itís especially tough when you have someone different every time.
Old 09-24-2019, 06:14 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Nitro is where it's at..
rrb1399 likes this.
Old 09-28-2019, 09:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I don't buy many of the excuses I have seen so far. What it comes down to is buggy and truggy are physically bigger cars and therefor much "cooler." Plus they can be driven more aggressively and people tend to like that.

I would personally kill for a revival of 2wd nitro, either in ST or SCT form. There are just certain things about driving style that 2wd nitro demands that you can't get from anything else. Even the larger trend for tracks these days wouldn't scare me off. Its called offroad racing for a reason, you should have to adapt to the track, not have the track adapt to you. Don't complain that you can't get the traction and power that a 4wd nitro can put down to clear the triple straight out of the corner exit, try to find the rhythm that works for you and the car and make it happen. That is what makes offroad so fun, and personally, the challenge of only having two tires putting the power down makes that challenge so much more rewarding to me.

#bringbackthetwotirefire
Goof and frewster like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service