Like Tree365Likes

Kyosho MP10T

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2019, 07:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hyperfuxx
I can see people bending the back half of the chassis
I have a different brand truggy with a similarly long, skinny rear chassis with a brace. No issues.
Old 08-03-2019, 04:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 137 (99%+)

And I thought Tekno had unique/interesting body designs...
Old 08-04-2019, 06:17 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by iplaygames
how about we discuss xrays pinion bearing systems over the years? 3 big bearings used to fail all the time, they changed to smaller and not so many issues
actually kyosho proved this with the original truggy/ST-RR, the case was soft and warped with the heat of spiral geears, changed to a harder plastic and straight cut evo gears and fixed itself...
Happy to.
You seem to assume I have some kind of brand loyalty, I don't. That's a great way to be locked into manufacturers' poor decisions.
Xray's 3-bearing design ('08-'10) was terrible - for seat design reasons - not because of bearing size - 4mm section bearings actually have smaller balls, peak bearing ratings are a function of all dimensions not just the OD.
However, Xray learned from their mistake (9 years ago), and from '11-'19 inclusive they use 8x16x5 for all diff pinion bearings. They also ran the same setup on the original XB8 from '04-'06.

Kyosho on the other hand had the right idea from the MP6 days right through to the MP777, but with the latest generations MP9 and MP10 the pinion bearings are undersized and result in either shorter maintenance intervals or faster diff pinion wear. Every brand makes bad decisions - but all that matters is the lessons learned and whether they are applied in the latest iteration.

FYI, The ST-RR you mention is based on the now-ancient MP777 (not MP9), thus 8x16x5 bearings.
The MP10T (if running 5x11x4) will bring new and exciting problems.
Originally Posted by windellmc
Seems to work ok for Mugen and maybe X-ray?
Mugen is 6x13x5, Xray is 8x16x5. I'd choose either of these setups over Kyosho, especially for the smaller pinions and higher loads in truggy.
Horatio likes this.
Old 08-04-2019, 09:54 AM
Suspended

Oh dear. Edit, cant be botherd to explain to a brand basher

Last edited by iplaygames; 08-04-2019 at 10:15 AM.
Old 08-04-2019, 03:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Oh dear. Edit, cant be botherd to explain to a brand basher
I doubt, explaining the issue at hand constitutes "Brand Bashing"!

Having run the Kyosho's from the MP7.5 - MP9 tki 3, prior to switching back to Mugen. The smaller bearings for the pinion bearing was a bit of a step back, and i did seem to replace more on the MP9's than on previous Kyosho cars, especially when the center universal got bent during a race. And even then I'd go as far as to replace the rear diff housing as well.
uDi_MP7.5 and Horatio like this.
Old 08-04-2019, 05:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

How were you possibly bending center unis?
jhold87 likes this.
Old 08-04-2019, 08:03 PM
Suspended

Lawn darting which will destroy pinion bearings in any car, i've bought 3 new tki3's over the years and all my pinion bearings have lasted ages, then again neither my boys or me lawn dart.. i've always seen bigger pinion bearing cars have issues, there is a reason for it and its also the same reason alot of brands use small bearings..
*generally* alot of times the size of the bearings have nothing to do with how long they last..
just for a giggle but true in a way - "its not about how big it is, but how well its used"
Old 08-04-2019, 08:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (89%+)

Lawn darting which will destroy pinion bearings in any car, i've bought 3 new tki3's over the years and all my pinion bearings have lasted ages, then again neither my boys or me lawn dart.. i've always seen bigger pinion bearing cars have issues, there is a reason for it and its also the same reason alot of brands use small bearings..
*generally* alot of times the size of the bearings have nothing to do with how long they last..
just for a giggle but true in a way - "its not about how big it is, but how well its used"

Say what you will, but Sworkz uses the same 5x11x4 bearing and “my” experience is they fail pretty frequently and require more preventive maintenance periods. This become pretty evident after my first race and rebuild. Since then I have bought an Xray and are still using the original factory bearings on the case and pinion after 5 separate events. Also, These are not some fancy Ceramic bearings either. In my opinion I would say Xray uses some pretty low grade bearings compared to others I have used. Anyhow “size” does matter and I would really be watching them on the mp10t. Bearings aside, I am more amazed they were able to get the Truggy to market this quick after seeing spy shots on Facebook.
This might have something to do with them going bankrupt and getting bought out by a bank that they are needing to bring more products quicker to market.
uDi_MP7.5 and Horatio like this.
Old 08-04-2019, 09:43 PM
Suspended

before a major race i changed my pinion bearings on my s35-3(well whole car, with sworkz metal shielded) and they are still in the car, thats 6 months worth and that includes a wet race.. if you're using cheap "$1" bearings theyll go bad whatever car or size they are.
i always use quality bearings and they've never ever failed me, actually i lie - i once used protek bearings in the outside hub of a ST-RR and it blew apart when i got t-boned.
bet you'll be surprised that if looked after and setup properly how long those pinion bearings last.
Old 08-04-2019, 10:05 PM
Tech Addict

Appreciate the backup, clearly plenty of others have been through the 5x11x4 bearings failing.
If you have no point of comparison then of course they will seem "OK", but in the long run with the larger bearings you can drive for much longer before servicing - in an area which takes comparatively more time to service (loctite, reshimming, etc). This thread is about the truggy and I really don't think 5x11 has a place in it, as Mickey says I'd be watching that area carefully on the MP10T. The MP9 / MP10 scrapes by but there's more mass and drivetrain load in truggy.

If you grossly undersize a bearing for an application, it doesn't matter how good it is, there's going to be a ceiling on peak load rating and given the smaller contacting parts, they will wear faster. Blaming driving just reiterates it's a weak point on the car.

I certainly don't think Xray stock bearings are great, but not a fan of Kyosho's metal shields either. Thing is, on any kit you replace them on the first rebuild anyway (or I do), and from that point the kit with the correct bearing sizes will last much longer. FWIW I've been using Mugen kit bearings (8x16) lately, seem OK. Also using Kyosho 7075 hubs/uprights and shock shafts on various cars. Zero care for brand. But I'd never own another 1/8 offroad with 5x11 bearings.
Horatio likes this.
Old 08-04-2019, 10:17 PM
Tech Addict

Anyway, still good to see another truggy, found some higher res pics on RCdriver:

Old 08-05-2019, 01:01 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Originally Posted by frewster
How were you possibly bending center unis?
Getting hit from behind, and hard landings. Only the rear was prone to bending.
Old 08-12-2019, 07:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

ill try one when available, my current truggy uses 5x11s on the pinion, i bought a bunch of extra pinions incase they failed but 4 gallons in they are still rocking. using the 5x11s from kyosho kits
Old 08-21-2019, 09:36 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Brraaaaaap
Old 08-22-2019, 06:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HaulinBass
ill try one when available, my current truggy uses 5x11s on the pinion, i bought a bunch of extra pinions incase they failed but 4 gallons in they are still rocking. using the 5x11s from kyosho kits
kyosho has the best bearings. I thought the nmb bearings Mugen sells were good then I tried the kyosho clutch bearings. The kyosho ones just go and go without getting gritty.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.