Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
ROAR Nats - One lined tracks >

ROAR Nats - One lined tracks

Like Tree17Likes

ROAR Nats - One lined tracks

Old 06-23-2019, 10:24 PM
Tech Adept

Default ROAR Nats - One lined tracks

I've been to a few tracks this year and i keep noticing on these "too perfect" tracks - creating a one line track and as seen makes racing pretty boring and just carnage on passing.

What is everyone's thought on this? Personally rough tracks makes racing so much better, DNC's track usally breaks up a bit and it shows everyone loves this race.
Old 06-24-2019, 03:50 AM
JQ
Tech Master

That's what you get when you build a track with

- 90 and 180 degree corners only.
- Easy jumps
- smooth surface
- high grip

The death of offroad racing.
Old 06-24-2019, 06:06 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 206 (100%+)

Yeah unfortunalty as nice of a facility as Thornhill is. This race should never be held there. We already know what the surface does with thousands of laps on it. Did the same type of thing in 2016. This was an indoor race for a class of vehicle that is probably raced a good 90% on outdoor tracks with no roofs. The nationals track should be what the average track is, truly outdoor. These guys spent a ton of cash to run on a track that is unlike anything they would ever run on. If this wasnt a National championship race and called the Indoor National Championships then this was probably the perfect surface.

I could not believe the hack fest going on in the lower mains. Wow! I was so frustrated for some of those guys. Lol. Such a shame grown men driving with such a lack of racing professionalism. Children don't even drive like this.
MaricopaAgent likes this.
Old 06-24-2019, 06:07 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by JQ View Post

- Easy jumps
- smooth surface
- high grip

Yeah this was not a good racing track. There really was no good corners to make a clean pass on. Corners were point to point. The line was very narrow.
Old 06-24-2019, 07:36 AM
Tech Regular

Hey guys,

This is the first thread I have found on the two forums I frequent. Strange. I thought there would have been more interest and more discussion on a national level racing seeding competitors for the 2020 World Finals. Guess all the action and discussion was on social media? I don't do social media, so would have missed it altogether had I not received an Email from aMain announcing their gift card promo for the event. Did live stream the event all day on my computer and checked in from time-to-time.

I didn't take notice it was a one line race track. I'm not that good a racer to pick up on that. I just like watching the nitro buggies and truggies race. I liked the racing, but then it doesn't take a lot to entertain me...

Yes, to the covered track part. Much rather see a fully open off-road course, but understand the reasoning behind the covered track. One here in Houston too, which also hosted a Nats at one time. Too many entrants and too much time, money and logistics effort to risk a rain-out on a Nats event any more, I guess? Looks like hard pack clay is the only surface around any more at a national level. Guess that is what the guys that race at that level want?

Anyway, good to see at least someone opened a thread here. Thanks. Have yet to get a response to the thread I opened on the Texas forum. Again, I am probably missing it all because I do not follow social media.

Cheers. AC

Old 06-24-2019, 09:35 AM
Tech Elite

I thought it was awesome, close racing.

Last edited by token; 06-26-2019 at 09:27 AM.
Old 06-24-2019, 09:50 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dodgeguy View Post
Yeah unfortunalty as nice of a facility as Thornhill is. This race should never be held there. We already know what the surface does with thousands of laps on it. Did the same type of thing in 2016. This was an indoor race for a class of vehicle that is probably raced a good 90% on outdoor tracks with no roofs. The nationals track should be what the average track is, truly outdoor. These guys spent a ton of cash to run on a track that is unlike anything they would ever run on. If this wasnt a National championship race and called the Indoor National Championships then this was probably the perfect surface.

I could not believe the hack fest going on in the lower mains. Wow! I was so frustrated for some of those guys. Lol. Such a shame grown men driving with such a lack of racing professionalism. Children don't even drive like this.
Should never be held there? WHAT?!? Just because you don't like the surface? Have you ever paid The Dirt to come build you a track? Have thunderstorms roll in afterwards watch all your money wash away. Rebuild to just watch another thunderstorm wash it away again? Have you ever shelled out the money for anything like that? I would bet if you had, you would have put a roof over your track, if you had the money, to keep something like that from happening again. Thornhill is an amazing track with people that put a TON of work in for people to drive toy cars. It will never pay for itself and people like you and JQ over here bashing it.
can't wait for you or JQ to build something "better".............
bphil49 and token like this.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:23 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Big Will View Post
Should never be held there? WHAT?!? Just because you don't like the surface? Have you ever paid The Dirt to come build you a track? Have thunderstorms roll in afterwards watch all your money wash away. Rebuild to just watch another thunderstorm wash it away again? Have you ever shelled out the money for anything like that? I would bet if you had, you would have put a roof over your track, if you had the money, to keep something like that from happening again. Thornhill is an amazing track with people that put a TON of work in for people to drive toy cars. It will never pay for itself and people like you and JQ over here bashing it.
can't wait for you or JQ to build something "better".............
I get it, some people have a hard time with reading comprehension. Try reading what I wrote a few times. Maybe you will get it.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:24 AM
Super Moderator

Location: a very small town in wisconsin that is in the middle of absolutely no where
Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)

I hate to say it but I kind of agree with jq ( doesn't happen very often) but living in the upper Midwest we as racers notice most west and southern states seem to always have wide open fast tracks. yes they have some pretty cool parts here and there but open and fast with high grip. in the mid west its black dire and generally tighter tracks with less grip. we add calcium to the dirt to try and get traction up on the bigger 2-3 day events. 110-130 entries. but most of the tracks have several racing lines and passing/open areas to try and get by a guy so you cant just block every turn. I get the effort into building a track and maintaining it but big open tracks do get boring to watch or race on in my eyes. there will never be a track perfect for everyone.. but the pros are suppose to be the best correct? give them a hard track and yes the lower guys will struggle but in the end it will make everyone fast and learn different things. just my take on it and yes everyone has their own opinion and we don't all have to agree but we all have to be nice..
Cain likes this.
Old 06-24-2019, 03:25 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JQ View Post

- Easy jumps
- smooth surface
- high grip

smooth surface...high grip....reminds me of an rc-gp track
Old 06-24-2019, 05:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

It's tough to design a track that's not a single line race track especially with a surface like Thornhill's. Even if you design two potential race lines to a corner one line is always marginally faster.... and those A group guys would hit the fast line... e'ry tine. That said, there really didn't appear to be any corners on the layout that had an alternate line.

Either way it made for good racing IMO. I'd love to do some laps on that layout / surface. I'd rather race on a predictable track that's not blown out compared to a blown out track with unpredictable jump faces or features.
Old 06-25-2019, 08:42 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

As a spectator on Live RC, it was pretty cool. On a club race level, I’d personally like a little more “off-road”.

Last edited by dickie doyle; 06-25-2019 at 09:04 AM.
Old 06-26-2019, 08:37 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Thornhill is a great facility and they have put in a TON of work. Thank you to those guys.

Roar events are not being fought for, there are limited facilities even putting in bids from what I hear.

Every Nationals is different, and different racers shine due to surface, holes, jumps, layout , tires , luck or whatever. It is what it is.
Old 06-26-2019, 08:56 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AHR43 View Post
Hey guys,

This is the first thread I have found on the two forums I frequent. Strange. I thought there would have been more interest and more discussion on a national level racing seeding competitors for the 2020 World Finals. Guess all the action and discussion was on social media? I don't do social media, so would have missed it altogether had I not received an Email from aMain announcing their gift card promo for the event. Did live stream the event all day on my computer and checked in from time-to-time.

I didn't take notice it was a one line race track. I'm not that good a racer to pick up on that. I just like watching the nitro buggies and truggies race. I liked the racing, but then it doesn't take a lot to entertain me...

Yes, to the covered track part. Much rather see a fully open off-road course, but understand the reasoning behind the covered track. One here in Houston too, which also hosted a Nats at one time. Too many entrants and too much time, money and logistics effort to risk a rain-out on a Nats event any more, I guess? Looks like hard pack clay is the only surface around any more at a national level. Guess that is what the guys that race at that level want?

Anyway, good to see at least someone opened a thread here. Thanks. Have yet to get a response to the thread I opened on the Texas forum. Again, I am probably missing it all because I do not follow social media.

Cheers. AC
Proline posted quite a bit on Facebook for the event.i know a lot a reluctant to cross over to Facebook, I was, but it’s become the best place to find info. It’s so easy for brands to go directly to consumers, without having to wait. But there wasn’t much discussion. Just my thought, I don’t think there’s much interest in general in top level racing. Outside a very small percentage. That were probably at the race. Or follow their driver.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:24 AM
Tech Elite

I would like to see those complaining about the event, build and run a track, then host Nationals. Its sad that most of the complaints come from people that did not attend, are not ROAR members, do nothing for the hobby or lives outside of the ROAR block. Yes ROAR have issues, but this is what we have. To make drastic changes, IFMAR would have to be involved as well, I think. Yes Nats are Nats, but for the top 20 racers, its IFMAR Worlds Qualifying as well. Everyone screams "Off Road" but just a few years ago the racers wanted a higher grip surface. Since then, the industry have went that way, from tracks, to chassis, to tires. Now people want to B!t(h and complain. How about build a track or better volunteer to help ROAR.

I thought this years Nats was one of the better ones. The track was hard to drive (dont care why), and competition was close all weekend. No one just checked out and lapped the field 9 times. This is how a National Championship should be from a competition stand point.
dickie doyle likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service