ROAR Nats - One lined tracks >

ROAR Nats - One lined tracks

Like Tree24Likes

ROAR Nats - One lined tracks

Old 07-27-2019, 01:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by iplaygames View Post
pretty much sums it up, i have a big feeling driver/mechanics are too lazy to setup for bumps etc, most of the top guys love the bumps and dust, look at the uproar at the 1/10 worlds in china... or all the moaning in italy for the 1/8 worlds... the 1/10 worlds people were worried maifield was going to quit because of how the track was... the crap control tyre didnt help at all but hey who cares made for even playing field.

Lets get into that actually, control tyres - personally i think they are "god's best gift" it takes the tyre game out of it and makes it more like real racing where setup is more important and isnt this why we keep buying the top of the line cars?
I've just always enjoyed offroad for the adaptability that it puts on a driver and setup. Too well prepped of a surface constantly just feels boring to me from a driver perspective.

Originally Posted by token View Post
I get you. This is RC racing where grown men plays with expensive toys. This will NEVER be considered "motorsports". Never. Better Race system, ok. When there is a series in the US where it is affordable for all the manufactures to take part, then maybe, it would spark more interest. Right now, despite the work RCGP has put in, This industry still goes through IFMAR, period. That is what all the companies work for, that is what the manufactures strive for, National and World Champions. This industry does not have "motorsports" money. I disagree on the National Championship part. Again, this is NOT an industry that has unlimited money. right now with ROAR rules, you will not get 4 tracks a year to hold a National Championship Series. I love when folks say like F1.. GTFOH. RC racing will NEVER be on TV in the US, at lease not on a major high quality broadcast channel. Hell it took years for the US to get F1 regularly.
Not sure how I skipped past this post. Sure, I've never attended a ROAR event, but I do intend to in the near future. I'd like to experience it and see what the fuss is all about firsthand. But what I can tell you is that this post does remind me of something. Paintball is another "hobby" that many don't take seriously, but there is an international and national series. Also not on television anymore for the same reasons that RC racing isn't. One thing they do have is a website where that acts a lot like ESPN that tracks your stats and allows you to register for the big events. I don't honestly know if that exists within the ROAR circle or not, but I think I would probably feel more inclined to attend more ROAR events or at least pay attention to it if there was a way where teams and drivers could "collect points" through out a race season. Again, I am ignorant to if this sort of thing actually exists in RC racing, but its a thought. Even a hobby where guys shoot each other with paint filled gelatin shells from air powered markers has it so why not?

Link to the website I mentioned: https://www.nxlpaintball.com/us-team-rankings
Old 07-27-2019, 04:21 AM
Tech Regular

pretty much sums it up, i have a big feeling driver/mechanics are too lazy to setup for bumps etc, most of the top guys love the bumps and dust, look at the uproar at the 1/10 worlds in china... or all the moaning in italy for the 1/8 worlds... the 1/10 worlds people were worried maifield was going to quit because of how the track was... the crap control tyre didnt help at all but hey who cares made for even playing field.

Lets get into that actually, control tyres - personally i think they are "god's best gift" it takes the tyre game out of it and makes it more like real racing where setup is more important and isnt this why we keep buying the top of the line cars?
+1 on the control tire. AC
Old 07-27-2019, 07:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wolf16731 View Post
I've just always enjoyed offroad for the adaptability that it puts on a driver and setup. Too well prepped of a surface constantly just feels boring to me from a driver perspective.

Not sure how I skipped past this post. Sure, I've never attended a ROAR event, but I do intend to in the near future. I'd like to experience it and see what the fuss is all about firsthand. But what I can tell you is that this post does remind me of something. Paintball is another "hobby" that many don't take seriously, but there is an international and national series. Also not on television anymore for the same reasons that RC racing isn't. One thing they do have is a website where that acts a lot like ESPN that tracks your stats and allows you to register for the big events. I don't honestly know if that exists within the ROAR circle or not, but I think I would probably feel more inclined to attend more ROAR events or at least pay attention to it if there was a way where teams and drivers could "collect points" through out a race season. Again, I am ignorant to if this sort of thing actually exists in RC racing, but its a thought. Even a hobby where guys shoot each other with paint filled gelatin shells from air powered markers has it so why not?

Link to the website I mentioned: https://www.nxlpaintball.com/us-team-rankings
We need a national ranking system.
Old 07-30-2019, 09:36 PM
Tech Addict

The way I see it, itís all about building hype around the Sport/Hobby and marketing it to potential corporate sponsorship... itís gotta be outside of the hobby, because not too many companies in it are big enough to sustain it on their own.

if they have the backing to pull it off, RCGP kind of has the right idea (I happened to see Round 1 earlier tonight) - theyíve separated the Proís from the Joeís (how long have we heard THAT argument?), but they are giving the Joeís a chance to compete with the big boys, similar to how GP2 is a feeder class for Formula 1. I also like the short, 2 stage format with a set number of laps, not some marathon time limit. These guys are Pros - letís see them work under pressure! Even in real racing, itís hard enough trying to find sports networks that air an ENTIRE endurance event. Weíre usually left with just watching the first few hours, then the final hour or two...

And itís not about the level of danger or risk of death either - heck, the EVO Championship Series managed to air their Street Fighter V finals for a few years on ESPN2, and it got decent numbers. Build the hype, get the backing, put on a good show, and I think interest will follow... Primarily by introducing more people to the hobby, which to be honest, is desperately needed. Itís not anywhere NEAR what it used to be in my area 20-25 years ago.
Old 07-31-2019, 08:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by TurnNBurn View Post
Primarily by introducing more people to the hobby, which to be honest, is desperately needed. Itís not anywhere NEAR what it used to be in my area 20-25 years ago.
More truth to this statement than some know. Its hard to believe for a lot of us who have been in RC for a while, but everywhere I have been where I raced there were a LOT of people who would see my rigs in passing whether at a park, me pulling them out of my Jeep before or after a day of racing, whatever.. where people would see them and start asking questions. Some would even tell me that they have a certain model, and almost all of them would look at me in disbelief when I tell them that they have a track in the local area, often within 20 minutes of their house. Quite a few of these people have lived in that particular area all of their lives and NEVER KNEW they had a track they could go to! I personally make it a goal to get the ones truly interested into the next race's novice class no matter what it takes, even if they have to use one of mine to do it.

I've gotten entire families into racing doing things like that, and unfortunately, not even that is enough anymore it seems.
Old 07-31-2019, 08:47 PM
Tech Adept

We are getting a little off-topic here, theres been many threads about getting new people into the sport for years.. our best shot of that right now is RCGP, people are putting it down so much because of the guy behind it, but from my eyes... hes the ONLY owner of a company and "pro" racer who you can talk to on fb and is trying to do something to help RC racing grow.

Back on topic about tracks now please, big ups for control tires on tracks, i would rather company's work toward building the best all-round outdoor tire in 3 or 4 compounds rather than 10 different treads all with 6 different compounds this would put it more inline with real racing and be much much more cost effective for racers.
Old 07-31-2019, 10:06 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I just want cheaper tires in general. Constantly buying tires is killer if you race.
Old 08-01-2019, 01:29 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by frewster View Post
I just want cheaper tires in general. Constantly buying tires is killer if you race.
you'll be lucky... aka and proline(jconcepts??) are made in america so they carry that price tag, dont forget they have to pay/supply all the pros... i know plently of people who are cashed up but flat out refuse to race because of the cost of tires/engines.
Old 08-02-2019, 01:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by frewster View Post
you'll be lucky... aka and proline(jconcepts??) are made in america so they carry that price tag, dont forget they have to pay/supply all the pros... i know plently of people who are cashed up but flat out refuse to race because of the cost of tires/engines.

How is that that a tire for a regular day to day full size car is cheaper than a set of 4 for a buggy or truggy? If people would stop paying the high prices, manufactures such as Pro-Line and AKA would start to drop the price due to price vs demand.
Old 08-02-2019, 02:52 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sebtarta View Post
How is that that a tire for a regular day to day full size car is cheaper than a set of 4 for a buggy or truggy? If people would stop paying the high prices, manufactures such as Pro-Line and AKA would start to drop the price due to price vs demand.
Other than James, Sweep, Panther, what are the options? I would never buy full price Pro-Lines or AKAs but it seems like everyone charges about the same price.
Old 08-05-2019, 11:23 AM
Tech Addict

Oops, sorry for my contribution to the topic stray - anyway...

If you think about it, all tracks tend to have a single line - the fast line, and over the course of an event weekend, itís the one that will tend to develop a groove over the course of a weekend. To this end, I think that it requires Quite a bit of time to devote to strategy, and identify where there might be opportunities to pass. Some tracks will have more challenging spots to find than others. In the end, if you want to make any potential spots viable, it probably takes some concerted effort to help build some kind of groove outside of the fast line during whatever practice time you can get, otherwise you risk going out into the loose stuff every time you try to make that pass when you really need it.

Thatís just the way I think, but then again, I have always been the one to run crazy lines just to see how they pan out.
Old 08-05-2019, 08:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by TurnNBurn View Post
Oops, sorry for my contribution to the topic stray - anyway...

If you think about it, all tracks tend to have a single line - the fast line, and over the course of an event weekend, it’s the one that will tend to develop a groove over the course of a weekend. To this end, I think that it requires Quite a bit of time to devote to strategy, and identify where there might be opportunities to pass. Some tracks will have more challenging spots to find than others. In the end, if you want to make any potential spots viable, it probably takes some concerted effort to help build some kind of groove outside of the fast line during whatever practice time you can get, otherwise you risk going out into the loose stuff every time you try to make that pass when you really need it.

That’s just the way I think, but then again, I have always been the one to run crazy lines just to see how they pan out.
I'm a bit guilty for going off topic myself.

When I think of a "one line track" what comes to mind is what we typically have. The lane is symmetrical throughout the entire course, so it doesn't matter whether you are outside or inside, you will hit the same obstacle no matter what. Thats the part that bothers me when I see tracks that are popular. Of course there is only one fast line, because if every lateral inch of the lane throughout the track is the same, then of course the short line will become the fast line through sheer logic. However, if a track is allowed to be bumpy to slow cars down on the inside line, the standard "fast line", where the outside is left nice and smooth.. then it offers a decision. Do you want to tune your vehicle and your driving style to take that outside line where you can carry more speed? Or do you want to try to get your vehicle to handle the bumpy, shorter inside line to try and gain the advantage? Do you want to make an attempt for a large triple, or bypass the triple by taking the side of the lane that will punish you with a whoops section? You don't see a lot of tracks at all if ever that have that kind of build to them where you have a real decision to make to try and take the advantage away from somebody. Some guys will be fast taking the large jumps and smooth outside line, but some will be faster by taking the rough inside line and skipping over the tops of the whoops section. I think that would make for some real interesting racing if it can be built in a way that doesn't give the clear advantage to any one driving style.

Think of the old school Supercross tracks and some Rally courses, there was always some deviation within the lane at some point in the track that would give the racer a choice.
frewster likes this.