Runny shocks without shock booties? >

Runny shocks without shock booties?

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Matt Piva

Runny shocks without shock booties?

Old 06-21-2019, 07:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default Running shocks without shock booties?

hey guys (and girls to!) Iíve been having issues with keeping dirt out of my shocks and watching my shafts on certain shocks get really rough pretty quick, after looking at a lot of losi guys who run what I run I see some without shock shaft covers (booties?) and Iím thinking this is infact a better way to keep dirt out? Each time I pop them down I see a lot of dirt actually staying inside and then I change the oil and the oils really packed with dirt, I need a fix. Should I just leave the rubber booties off? I donít leave oils in excessively long, 4-6 days of running max and every other day I take the shocks off and clean them but that still doesnít do enough.

Last edited by Matt Piva; 06-23-2019 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Title was wrong
Old 06-21-2019, 12:13 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

We never run the shock shaft covers. I find that they can hang up and keep shock from full operation--plus they are a bit of a hassle when bleeding shocks. But then again, I see some Pro drivers still running them, so take that for what it is.
Old 06-21-2019, 12:41 PM
Tech Elite

I don't race, but shock covers work very well in my electric basher.
Old 06-21-2019, 02:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Lmao well I wonít lie Iíve actually thought about the shock covers. I just call them shock socks. They just look a bit ghetto and might mess with the function of the shock. I wouldnít say they mess with them as much as the shock boots do cause they probably bind up the shocks fully compressed a lot with the shock boots on. I also noticed the boots canít be on when bleeding. Iím gonna take mine off in the back atleast cause the exhaust and dust from the front tires are making the shock pack up with moist gassed up dirt and that shock on the back left has a lot of dirt in it everytime I replace oils. Even the right side back is pretty smoked with dirt. Kinda wishing I would have replaced both my rear sets of shocks with new orings and spacers now. I think in the future I may run with none cause they may feel better without anything on and if they ever get packed I will order a set of these disco black covers haaaa
Dave_S likes this.
Old 06-26-2019, 12:28 PM
Tech Elite

I just run the Mugen boots on my shocks and the oil stays clear. As soon as there is a little tear in one of the boots I replace it. My shafts stay super clean and they don't get scratched this way.