• 1 Post By J.Whiting
  • 1 Post By sebtarta

Front sway bar not equal left/right

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 11:45 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Front sway bar not equal left/right

Need some help please. I spent most of the night trying to figure out as to why the front suspension will not match from left-right/right-left when I raise the arms individually on my Serpent 811 Cobra 2.2x. Front and rear sections of the car were rebuilt with brand new arms, bearing, block pills, etc. Hinge pins were not replaced, as they were still straight (no need to put new ones). I have used 4 different front sway bars, one brand new out of the bag. I adjusted the sway bar link to the arm as well, but I still ran into the same issue where the right side of the car (left on the pictures) has to be lifted much higher than the left until the sway bar starts to react.

Here you can see how much travel i have to do on the left side of the car until the right arms starts to rise.

Here is how much more I have to lift the right arm until the left arm starts to rise.

Going to double check the droop once again, but I am certain that both sides are at the same height. Any help would be great.

I watched Ty Tessman's video regarding on how to set the sway bars. Even though his is for an XRay, a sway bar is a sway bar.
Old 06-25-2019, 11:56 AM
Tech Lord

The link between arm and swaybar on the left of the pic is much shorter than on the right. Start to give them an equal length
dickie doyle likes this.
Old 06-25-2019, 12:13 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Roelof
The link between arm and swaybar on the left of the pic is much shorter than on the right. Start to give them an equal length
ya the upper left turnbuckle seems shorter on the left side
Old 06-25-2019, 12:36 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Roelof
Thanks, I checked both links and put them both to stock 35mm from the top to under the arm. But will check again tonight.

Originally Posted by srt4johnny

ya the upper left turnbuckle seems shorter on the left side
Something I did not take into account, will check lengths on that. Thank you!
Old 06-25-2019, 02:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

It also looks like the sway bar is not centered in the diff case, which can have an effect as well. I have never gotten the sway bar effect perfect side to side, I just try to get it close.
Old 06-25-2019, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator

Location: a very small town in wisconsin that is in the middle of absolutely no where
Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

as the others have said the sway bar links need to be adjusted..
but they do not have to be even.. on my srx6 they are about a 1.2 mm different from each other to get the same raise on both sides or stiffness.. hinge pin bushing loose. sway bar screws not the same. sway bar not centered.. a lot can affect the lengths.. takes a while to get right but once they are they are easy to adjust to be tighter or looser for track conditions.
savage24x likes this.
Old 06-26-2019, 10:09 AM
Tech Addict

Thank you all for your input. I ended up taking the whole front end apart and rebuilding it to default specs (which I have done at the beginning). Arms lift almost at the same height, maybe a difference of 0.5mm on either side, which I am ok for that.

Issue is by me taking apart everything I will not know what was causing this to happen. Oh well, chalk it up as a one off i guess. Thank you again.
savage24x likes this.