Wanting to start racing nitro 1/8 buggy or truggy

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Goof
  • 1 Post By frewster

Wanting to start racing nitro 1/8 buggy or truggy

Old 06-15-2019, 10:25 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Wanting to start racing nitro 1/8 buggy or truggy

Hi, I am wanting to get into racing 1/8 scale nitro buggy or truggy. I currently have a few 1/10 scale TC, there is no tracks that race nitro anymore, just electric and 1/5 scale.
I would like to know if there is any tools/ must haves I need to be competitive.
I have been considering RTR as kits are expensive but I am willing to buy second hand cars to be competitive, I am condersidering all brands such as tekno, agama and jq specifically because these seem to be what a lot run at the tracks as is mugen, Losi and kyosho.
Also could anyone recommend a stick radio that is suffiecent for racing, I would have liked the futaba 4grs but it is far too expensive for what it is. Or could someone explain why so many people use the steer wheel radios now?
i need radio gear as mine is MHz and it seems 2.4ghz is what everyone has now.
I want spend maximum £400-600
Many Thanks MiniMotoKiD
Old 06-18-2019, 12:15 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Iím surprised no one has chimed in yet, so Iíll throw some thoughts out there...
-My opinion is to buy a kit. Yes, it will be more expensive, but if youíre really going to race, the information from other racers and availability of parts will be much better. If you buy a used EBuggy that is out dated, good luck finding parts when you break something. What I do is find a major brand that the local track carries parts for, and go with that.... I am nowhere near fast enough to be a ton slower or faster with brand Y vs brand X, when it comes to the expense, I buy the kit, take my time building it, then make a list if what I need and start buying a few things here or there to get it up and running. It takes patients and a little compromise on not buying ďthe bestĒ batteries, servos, charger and so on, but I seem to end up with a car that drives better than I do.

-Stick radios are for planes and helicopters these days. Go to YouTube and watch some modern IFMAR and Roar fuel races. I feel like the new style of driving and the tracks need the quickest of left to right transitions and wheel radios can achieve this easily. I understand that stick radios can be very accurate and thereís still a small amount of fast guys using them, but itís almost a novelty at this point. (Flame me away if you must).

-come to grips with you spending more than your comfort zone, itís just the way itís going to happen, trust me!
Old 06-18-2019, 07:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (99%+)

There are tons of these threads that's why no one says much these days . What I would do is try to find the club guys that like to help the newbies at your track that will be your best bet and try to meet the race director sometimes called the Rd
1/8 IC Fan likes this.
Old 06-18-2019, 11:21 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Go with a used race kit. You can find rollers for $150-200 easily and it will be so much better than any RTR. Plus you'll learn getting it up and running.
Chrisgewrgi likes this.
Old 06-18-2019, 01:54 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Answer

Originally Posted by frewster View Post
Go with a used race kit. You can find rollers for $150-200 easily and it will be so much better than any RTR. Plus you'll learn getting it up and running.
Keep just this man.u can buy the last models for that price.
i will never buy again rtr rc car.cause the race kits its monster of durability.and i mean if someone want race kit just for fun its the best choise.cause its very hard to broke something
Old 06-18-2019, 03:02 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by MiniMotoKiD View Post
Hi, I am wanting to get into racing 1/8 scale nitro buggy or truggy. I currently have a few 1/10 scale TC, there is no tracks that race nitro anymore, just electric and 1/5 scale.
I would like to know if there is any tools/ must haves I need to be competitive.
I have been considering RTR as kits are expensive but I am willing to buy second hand cars to be competitive, I am condersidering all brands such as tekno, agama and jq specifically because these seem to be what a lot run at the tracks as is mugen, Losi and kyosho.
Also could anyone recommend a stick radio that is suffiecent for racing, I would have liked the futaba 4grs but it is far too expensive for what it is. Or could someone explain why so many people use the steer wheel radios now?
i need radio gear as mine is MHz and it seems 2.4ghz is what everyone has now.
I want spend maximum £400-600
Many Thanks MiniMotoKiD
Curious. Quoting you above out of context, "there is no tracks that race nitro anymore, just electric and 1/5 scale." I am not sure why you would even want to do it.

But, that said, may a suggest that you do it with a partner. Race the buggy or truggy as a team effort. Find someone to share the expenses of a 1/8 nitro fielding. 1/8 nitro, buggy or truggy, is expensive. Sure, you can find some inexpensive rollers about, but that is not even a foot in the door to what it will cost to race. Try to find an event where 1/8 nitro is running and talk with the competitors first before committing to a large expenditure of funds.

Good luck if you decide to go it alone. It is exciting racing.