Like Tree14Likes

4 hour race!

Old 05-11-2019, 09:15 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default 4 hour race!

Our club is planning a 4 hour off road race. No swapping motors. I know this has been done before so I'm looking for advice. I know we'll have to swap out rx packs. One thing that I wonder about is the potential for servo failure over a 4 hour race. Any tips appreciated. Thanks
Old 05-11-2019, 09:38 AM
Tech Champion

2 cars possible?
BrettL likes this.
Old 05-11-2019, 09:46 AM
Tech Addict

Yes, that's a good idea.
Old 05-11-2019, 02:40 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)
Default Glow plugs

Keep plenty of glow plugs on hand.
BrettL likes this.
Old 05-11-2019, 04:21 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Good lord, 4 hours?!? I feel like that would be exhausting! Haha but gotta be fun.
BrettL likes this.
Old 05-11-2019, 10:40 PM
Tech Adept

Give servo end points some play room, you will develop considerable chassis flex over a 4 hour race. Normally you would tighten chassis screws between runs, but not when your endurance racing. Loctite everything, add an extra head shim to the motor, its better for glow plug longevity. Clutch bearings will be an issue, dont run the motor hot you will toast a clutch and bearings by hour 3. Use a 5mm carb insert to skip lots of pits, and reduce power that causes wear and tear. Start ride height higher than normal, it will settle over a 4 hour run.
BrettL likes this.
Old 05-12-2019, 03:08 PM
Tech Elite

Use the right servos, and a big pack might actually last long enough. 1 hour is cake for my tiny Rx pack.
BrettL likes this.
Old 05-12-2019, 06:45 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

maybe a catheter 😂😂
J.Whiting and 8T like this.
Old 05-13-2019, 02:23 AM
Tech Elite

My Hitec brushless servo's are very efficient and they can regen some power. They consume only 250-350mah during a 1 hour main, so if you can find a 1800-2300mah lipo reciever pack, you can make 4 hours without having to switch that.

I would also start with fresh clutch shoes, new or cleaned (dremeld) clutchbell and new bearings. And ofcourse a new glowplug and keep some spare ready. If you're lucky, you can do it on 1 set of bearings and 1 glow plug.
And if it's allowed, keep a spare car ready, but if you allowed to switch engines, I don't think a spare car will be allowed as well?

And is this a 4 hour race for a single pilot? Or can you make a team with 2-4 drivers and pass the radio every 30-60min?
BrettL likes this.
Old 05-13-2019, 05:12 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Fuel...you need fuel.
BrettL likes this.
Old 05-13-2019, 06:47 AM
Tech Addict

Default Thanks

Thanks for all the tips. It will be a team so we can swap out drivers.
Old 05-13-2019, 06:50 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by TheWorstDriver View Post
Give servo end points some play room, you will develop considerable chassis flex over a 4 hour race. Normally you would tighten chassis screws between runs, but not when your endurance racing. Loctite everything, add an extra head shim to the motor, its better for glow plug longevity. Clutch bearings will be an issue, dont run the motor hot you will toast a clutch and bearings by hour 3. Use a 5mm carb insert to skip lots of pits, and reduce power that causes wear and tear. Start ride height higher than normal, it will settle over a 4 hour run.
Thank you! Sounds like you've done this. Lot of great information.
Old 05-13-2019, 07:35 AM
Tech Champion

Over here for many years we have runned 3 hour races onroad. Teams of 2 or 3 drivers, each with their own car or even less cars per team. There was even a race were a team was just by 1 driver.....

Qualify is mostly something special/fun like the top speed, the fastest lap or someting else different from a standard qualify
The rules are simple, each driver must drive at least a registrated 45 minutes to make the race result count.
In the past with a handout transponder the transponder has to moved from car to car when changing cars now with most laptime systems you can registrate several transponders.
Max 10 teams (in our cae we can hanle max 10 drivers on the stand) and each team must provide a marshal unless the organiser can arrange 10 marshals
BrettL likes this.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:20 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

something that i don't think was mentioned yet would be tires....they will be a huge factor since most tires barely make it through a 45 min main. I would find out if you can change tires and if so you will probably want a couple sets ready... looks like for this race the pit man or team will be a huge factor on the outcome of this one lol
BrettL and frewster like this.
Old 05-13-2019, 06:55 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Jomo918 View Post
something that i don't think was mentioned yet would be tires....they will be a huge factor since most tires barely make it through a 45 min main. I would find out if you can change tires and if so you will probably want a couple sets ready... looks like for this race the pit man or team will be a huge factor on the outcome of this one lol
Absolutely. I think the only thing you cant change is the engine. Tires will definitely be something we'll change out.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service