R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Losi 8ight truggy motor upgrade (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/1042168-losi-8ight-truggy-motor-upgrade.html)

Dabeardedbro 04-30-2019 12:39 PM

Losi 8ight truggy motor upgrade

I plan on club racing once in a blue moon(nearest outdoor track period (luckily is a 1/8th scale track) is too far to visit often, but i do have a lot of areas to bash including a homemade track that could accommodate 1/5th scale trucks its so big. Its all soft dirt that we water to gain traction.

Basically im stuck on choosing a motor to upgrade to. Im not sure if to stay with .28 or goto .21. Fuel efficiency isnt really a thing i care too much about. I want power, but not so much its uncontrollable.

Motors im looking at are
novarossi 28-8
novarossi 28-7t(dont know the difference between these two)

werks b5 pro 2(if i can ever find one in stock)
novarossi p5xlt
dragon IV

any input is welcome!

iplaygames 04-30-2019 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Dabeardedbro (Post 15441494)
I plan on club racing once in a blue moon(nearest outdoor track period (luckily is a 1/8th scale track) is too far to visit often, but i do have a lot of areas to bash including a homemade track that could accommodate 1/5th scale trucks its so big. Its all soft dirt that we water to gain traction.

Basically im stuck on choosing a motor to upgrade to. Im not sure if to stay with .28 or goto .21. Fuel efficiency isnt really a thing i care too much about. I want power, but not so much its uncontrollable.

Motors im looking at are
novarossi 28-8
novarossi 28-7t(dont know the difference between these two)

werks b5 pro 2(if i can ever find one in stock)
novarossi p5xlt
dragon IV

any input is welcome!

ls5, 9901 pipe, make a slightly heavier clutch setup and enjoy.

Dabeardedbro 04-30-2019 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by iplaygames (Post 15441540)
ls5, 9901 pipe, make a slightly heavier clutch setup and enjoy.

oh thats decently priced setup.

Idk how “powerful” the stock .28 dynamite rtr motor is in comparison to whats out there but i want something as powerful if not more powerful than that. Thats what i currently have.

iplaygames 04-30-2019 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Dabeardedbro (Post 15441557)

oh thats decently priced setup.

Idk how “powerful” the stock .28 dynamite rtr motor is in comparison to whats out there but i want something as powerful if not more powerful than that. Thats what i currently have.

that setup and setup your clutch with 4 x alloy shoes on gold springs(or even two of those being the next hardest)
i would say the LS5 will probably be stronger than the .28, the .28 will make power sooner(more torq) but with the harder clutch the ls5 will out perform, out last and you should get more runtime.

One major suggestion, send the motor to adam drake to Break in on the EBIS machine. saves time, fuel and the car wear.

Cardiak 04-30-2019 04:36 PM

How about a Nova Bonito? I heard that's still king when it comes to power for .21s. My stock Nova 28-8 is pretty ballistic with racing tires. The Badlands are a little heavier so they somewhat keep it tame. Not the case for my modded 28-8. It's ridiculous even with the Badlands.

Dabeardedbro 04-30-2019 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by iplaygames (Post 15441604)
that setup and setup your clutch with 4 x alloy shoes on gold springs(or even two of those being the next hardest)
i would say the LS5 will probably be stronger than the .28, the .28 will make power sooner(more torq) but with the harder clutch the ls5 will out perform, out last and you should get more runtime.

One major suggestion, send the motor to adam drake to Break in on the EBIS machine. saves time, fuel and the car wear.

idk who adam drake is. Ive broken in many engines including but not limited to nitro engines, 2stroke, 4stroke dirt bikes/4wheelers and so many full size engines ive built. Is his machine way of breaking the engine in like automated and full proof or something? Im one of those weird people who though impatient normally i love anything that combusts aka engines and breaking in engines is fun to me.

I have decided on the b5 pro2 with 2058 pipe though after talking with some people at the track closest to me and talking to werks on the phone. Sucks that its all backprdered for 2+ weeks though.

iplaygames 05-01-2019 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by Dabeardedbro (Post 15441695)

idk who adam drake is. Ive broken in many engines including but not limited to nitro engines, 2stroke, 4stroke dirt bikes/4wheelers and so many full size engines ive built. Is his machine way of breaking the engine in like automated and full proof or something? Im one of those weird people who though impatient normally i love anything that combusts aka engines and breaking in engines is fun to me.

I have decided on the b5 pro2 with 2058 pipe though after talking with some people at the track closest to me and talking to werks on the phone. Sucks that its all backprdered for 2+ weeks though.

adam drake is probably the guy with the biggest following RC race wise in 1/8. hes got many videos on YT, multiple ROAR national champ etc. o.s even has a adam drake version engine...
even if you're a "pro" get him to break in your engine, it will last much longer

GripTLR 05-01-2019 07:08 AM

I purchased the Novarossi 28-8 for $179 with their coupon a few months ago. also went with their 41032? and 9886? header/pipe setup.

it works.

Matt Piva 05-01-2019 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by iplaygames (Post 15441862)
adam drake is probably the guy with the biggest following RC race wise in 1/8. hes got many videos on YT, multiple ROAR national champ etc. o.s even has a adam drake version engine...
even if you're a "pro" get him to break in your engine, it will last much longer

I would highly suggest you consider this advice, Adam drake breaking in your engine is a huge headache taken off your plate. I know you like all of it but rc engines are very sensitive, nothing like a motorcycle engine. If u don’t carefully fine tune your engine and run it in super slow for a gallon you will more then likely destroy the engine. And it sucks when that happens I know.

Your werks b5 choice is a good one, that engine has so much torque and the sound that engine makes with the 2013 is unreal. Even the 2058 is better but the sound the 2013 makes is like a factory Kawasaki 125 James Stewart raced lol. Insane cool.

ok a side note I’m getting my b5 (1) back I broke in a few years ago the wrong way, after half a gallon I started to really tune it to actually get me to go more then 5 mph and it screwed up the front bearing and has sat for years because of that. Don’t run the engine hard at all for atleast 3 quarts. These engines don’t survive breakin wrong.