Search
Like Tree6Likes

I want another 1/8 nitro Truggy!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2019, 06:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by frewster
Some are making it sound like it's just the diffs that are different.
No, you may be reading it that way but I simply pointed out that the difference in just the diffs would be more than $100. And the diffs are very important when it comes to racing, for bashing it doesn't matter. But as others mentioned, the shocks, towers, and many other parts are different as well. Anyone interested in racing would be better off with the kit version and anyone bashing would be fine with either version.
Old 05-03-2019, 07:00 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by ttr_racer
No, you may be reading it that way but I simply pointed out that the difference in just the diffs would be more than $100. And the diffs are very important when it comes to racing, for bashing it doesn't matter. But as others mentioned, the shocks, towers, and many other parts are different as well. Anyone interested in racing would be better off with the kit version and anyone bashing would be fine with either version.
Actually, the diffs are very important when bashing. I quit running my RC8T because my LRP .30X was destroying the spider gears. Within 4 or 5 tanks of fuel the little gears inside the diff cup would wear the edges off of the teeth to the point where they would slip. I know, the next thing I will hear is that I didn’t shim the diffs correctly. I tried every combination of shims just short of shimming so tightly that the diff would bind. The power of the engine combined with the BuKu clutch and Proline Badlands hooking up hard in the grass equaled instant worn spider gears.

My point is that bashing becomes no fun if you’re diffs are breaking/stripping all the time.

By the way, where’s the Losi 8ight T X ?!! Might be my next truggy. The move to metric hardware is what I like the most. Losi has always had good 8th scales. I just didn’t wanna buy all new tools to work on them when every other RC in my collection is metric!
Old 05-03-2019, 01:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GripTLR
Vs. The money you have to spend on the kit after you buy the kit, an RTR with 4.0 diffs and all the TLR option parts (which there aren't many of) would still be cheaper.
Not entirely true. The electronics and engine are relative garbage in the RTR as well, and will require replacement as well.
I'd take a 2.0 truggy and p5 over the latest 8t RTR any day.
Old 05-03-2019, 02:33 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by 071crazy
Not entirely true. The electronics and engine are relative garbage in the RTR as well, and will require replacement as well.
I'd take a 2.0 truggy and p5 over the latest 8t RTR any day.
The original poster was asking for a new RTR with decent upgrades. I have suggested the TLR 8ight T 4.0 kit, as well as suggesting the RTR with TLR option parts, others have suggested upgrading the diff's too. If he wants to throw a better engine, or electronics at it later...that is cool. But he asked for an RTR with decent upgrades not a kit with the best electronics and engine with decent option parts.

Anyone looking to buy a kit, typically doesn't look to throw the cheapest engine, electronics, and wheels/tires at it to beat the RTR price point.
Old 05-08-2019, 08:50 PM
Tech Regular

Me too. I’m looking at a new tekno to be released and waiting on the new losi. Mugen maybe.... but was always told to get a tekno for years was told they are built like a tank.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:53 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lighttravler
Me too. I’m looking at a new tekno to be released and waiting on the new losi. Mugen maybe.... but was always told to get a tekno for years was told they are built like a tank.
I wish I had listened to the advice on here about getting a Tekno truggy for bashing. I got the Mugen 7TR and broke two front lower arms. Swapped them to Sworkz and haven't had a problem but broke a rear hub last week. Going to upgrade to the aluminum hubs. Hopefully there's no more weak points.
Old 05-10-2019, 12:21 AM
Tech Adept

I’d be going a MBX8T or a TLR 8T 4.0. Bloody awesome handling trucks and the TLR is bullet proof
Old 05-10-2019, 09:00 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 91junior
I’d be going a MBX8T or a TLR 8T 4.0. Bloody awesome handling trucks and the TLR is bullet proof
Agreed, the TLR 8IGHT T 4.0 is a tank..i've bashed and raced this truck only blew out a tire, and bent one rear dogbone on a bad landing and huge jump.. its seen many cartwheels, random trees that appear out of nowhere but its still all good
Old 05-13-2019, 11:49 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Micah78
Actually, the diffs are very important when bashing. I quit running my RC8T because my LRP .30X was destroying the spider gears. Within 4 or 5 tanks of fuel the little gears inside the diff cup would wear the edges off of the teeth to the point where they would slip. I know, the next thing I will hear is that I didn’t shim the diffs correctly. I tried every combination of shims just short of shimming so tightly that the diff would bind. The power of the engine combined with the BuKu clutch and Proline Badlands hooking up hard in the grass equaled instant worn spider gears. My point is that bashing becomes no fun if you’re diffs are breaking/stripping all the time.
I saw your old thread on this, I definitely don't think you did anything wrong, and totally agree re: things no longer fun with diffs fail.
I think you're a good candidate for a Tekno or an Xray, both seem to be more durable than average particularly on the drivetrain front.
Mugen drivetrains are good also, but I dislike that they switched to smaller/weaker diff pinion bearings on the MBX8T.
Micah78 likes this.
Old 05-13-2019, 11:56 AM
Tech Master

I agree about the bearing changes. It was perfect before when the entire drivetrain used one bearing size.
Old 05-13-2019, 12:52 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by uDi_MP7.5
I saw your old thread on this, I definitely don't think you did anything wrong, and totally agree re: things no longer fun with diffs fail.
I think you're a good candidate for a Tekno or an Xray, both seem to be more durable than average particularly on the drivetrain front.
Mugen drivetrains are good also, but I dislike that they switched to smaller/weaker diff pinion bearings on the MBX8T.
Well that made my decision easier in choosing my next basher. May sell my 7TR and get the Tekno.
Old 05-13-2019, 01:59 PM
Tech Elite

TLR 8ight drive train is the best in the business. The new Mugens are pretty good now..