Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By iplaygames
  • 1 Post By TheWorstDriver

Been out, looking to get in cheap

Old 04-22-2019, 08:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Been out, looking to get in cheap

Hi everybody. I've been out of the hobby for a few years now. I sold out of my mbx7 and nice gear to help fund my college a few years back, and have basically paid no attention to the latest and greatest of this hobby ever since. I'm still in college, but I'm looking at getting back into racing as I have the itch to compete again.

Here's my question, what is the oldest/cheapest chassis that still has parts support for nitro buggy? Are chassis like the RC8.2 and Mbx7 still supported or do I need to look newer?

Also, has anything big happened since 2017 in engine tech? I had a Werks B2 on my mbx7 and loved it. Just wondering if anything major has changed since I got out.

Thanks for the help yall.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:21 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jaymancd View Post
Hi everybody. I've been out of the hobby for a few years now. I sold out of my mbx7 and nice gear to help fund my college a few years back, and have basically paid no attention to the latest and greatest of this hobby ever since. I'm still in college, but I'm looking at getting back into racing as I have the itch to compete again.

Here's my question, what is the oldest/cheapest chassis that still has parts support for nitro buggy? Are chassis like the RC8.2 and Mbx7 still supported or do I need to look newer?

Also, has anything big happened since 2017 in engine tech? I had a Werks B2 on my mbx7 and loved it. Just wondering if anything major has changed since I got out.

Thanks for the help yall.
If I were in your position I would look at getting into the kyosho mp9 tki4 10th Anniversary model. Since the mp10 came out there seems to be some pretty good deals on these. I ran mine all last year with great results and durability was awsome. Never broke anything just replaced normal items from wear. I also race every weekend not just a few a year. As far as engines go if you are looking for budget friendly the FX k501r club racer motor looks to be pretty good. I am going to give it a try this year myself.
Old 04-22-2019, 10:16 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

As far as budget engines go I always hear good things about the LS-5 and the Atom SV-1. I run a Go GXII Plus which is a fantastic engine but Go went out of business back in 2015 so I wouldn't recommend any of their engines at this point.

As far as cars go I run an MBX7R and have no problems with parts support. The RC8B3 is similar in design and very popular with other racers in my area.
Old 04-22-2019, 10:04 PM
Tech Regular

Not alot has changed in the RC engine world for a long time, a couple of engines being easier to tune... the best advice i can give is stay away from REDS - overpriced picco's(especially when they say longer runtime.. the original r5r could easily do just as long lol). buy a picco if you want the same performance for less - still not the best engines anyway.
for 95% of the RC racers, the protek ls-5 or novarossi p5xlt is MORE than enough. just because your engine is expensive doesnt mean you drive any better.
i've seen a few cheap SH engines getting around lately and they've been extremely reliable... available from AmainH

if i was to pick the best engine.. probably the O.S Adam drake ed. its all the best features of an o.s engine pretty much. but again, itll last just as long as a LS-5(except the DLC crank will last longer than the std nova one) if taken care of, produce a little more power and be smoother, but unless you're top 50-60 in world... a $500 engine isnt going to do any better for you than a $159(ls5) one.
Morpheus1289 likes this.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:46 AM
Tech Adept

Thumbs up

I just re-entered 1/8th racing also, and it cost more than you would imagine. I had to buy tools, all the small items like transponders, oils, filters, spare parts, and some setup equipment back.

You need to make a budget and stick to it. You being in school and focused is more important.

Tools: $150+ (toolbox, Allen set, plug wrench)

Servos: $200

Radio: $250

Transponder: $120

Battery: $25

Tires: $125 (2 sets, practice/race, Sweeps brand are great race tires for the money running $20.00 per set less than proline or AKA)

Motor: $200-300

Bearings: $25

Glow plugs: $25

Air filters: $20

Chassis $400-500 (2017 models, Mugen, Xray, Kyosho, any of these can be run on a budget as they are quality to start and still have parts available online)

Starter Box: $60

Glow starter: $20

Fuel bottle: $20

Fuel: $50

Middle of the price range target total: $1800

The middle of the road number is $1800 leading up to your first race day, includes motor break in and practice days.

Most of these prices are on the cheaper side and will require some purchase off ebay to keep initial cost down. Running cost will be plugs, fuel, tires, all recurring. Race/practice entry fees can add up so budget that also. I don't think people realize the value they accumulate over time in tools, containers, parts, oils lubes, setup stuff.

If you will race Expert pro class, you will double the cost. OS Speed, new chassis, name brand tires in three compounds... you get my point. So get a couple grand and go kick some azz!
Morpheus1289 likes this.
Old 04-23-2019, 11:24 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

My race costs:

Servos: $90-140 for both

Radio: $60

Chassis: $600 new, $200 used

Engine: $150

Paint for the body: $10-20 min

Tires/wheels: $120 for three full sets, probably need more. I get a lot for free at races when people are giving them away.

Fuel: $35-40 a gallon

Starter box: $80

Charger: $30 min

Batteries for starter box and receiver: $40+20

Transponder: $80-120

Pipe/header: $40-80

Hex driver set: $10-20

Fuel bottle: $10

Glow starter: $20

Spare glow plugs: $10-20 each

Bearings: $20+

Air filters: $20
Of course on top of that are all of your other tools! They add up but good ones will last forever.

Last edited by frewster; 04-23-2019 at 12:41 PM.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:12 PM
Tech Regular

id love to invest more on equipment, since it will stay last for me,, rather than investing on top-est end engine, car, electronics etc, they wiil stay 2 year or so, then youve to replace it for the new one