Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Big Will
  • 1 Post By houston

Cleaning Nitro Buggy Tips

Old 04-20-2019, 08:29 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Cleaning Nitro Buggy Tips

I had a question on best practices for cleaning nitro buggyís/truggys after a race day. Some guys tell me they just take a pressure sprayer and spray it off. That seemed kind of crazy to me, with all the bearings and engine, and stuff like that. I guess Iím old school, and basically take the whole thing apart and wipe the pieces off with a rag. Which Iím sure you can imagine how long that takes. So because of how long this process is, Iíve been throwing around the idea in my head to just start doing that, spraying of with water/pressure sprayer. But I havenít really gotten a lot of info on how to properly do it. For example, what to take off prior to spraying, what to cover up, areas to avoid spraying (if any), and what to do immediately after spraying with water, to minimize water damage, and whatnot. I know this seems like such a mundane topic, but it seems itís rarely discussed, and there isnít a lot of info out there on the topic, unless Iím just looking in the wrong places. Anyway, could anyone just give me a rundown on the preferred process for this, and best practices and tips associated with this method of cleaning a nitro kit?? Thanks guys!
Old 04-20-2019, 09:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

We have always took the motor, pipe and radio tray out and sometimes i would take the gas tank out and i would spray with mean green and use a tooth brush and a rage and blow it all off with a compressor and then check over the car when it dried.
Old 04-20-2019, 10:41 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by DPowers View Post
We have always took the motor, pipe and radio tray out and sometimes i would take the gas tank out and i would spray with mean green and use a tooth brush and a rage and blow it all off with a compressor and then check over the car when it dried.
might give that a whirl. Anyone else on the pressure sprayer method?
Old 04-20-2019, 01:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

For a quick clean, compressor, brush (always have one, the most important clwaning tool!) and WD40 with cloth works good. I actually have a RC specific cleaner, works very good and smells nice, but you can get the same results with WD or any bike cleaner. You don't need to remove anything, just dont spray directly on the electronics (just brush the dirt off).

​​​​​When you need to remove the engine and/or electronics, then take the time to clean it properly
Old 04-23-2019, 09:34 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

For giggles, I picked up a cordless Water Pik from a thrift store the other day and just used water, a toothbrush, and a computer duster to dry off. It worked great for a quick light cleaning. Will use it at a race this weekend and add paint brush, disassembly, and wd40 type after spray to get really clean.
Old 04-23-2019, 10:28 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xlrsd View Post

might give that a whirl. Anyone else on the pressure sprayer method?
I have used my water hose to clean my car many times. I take the radio tray and engine of the car, spray it down with Simple Green. Let that sit for a few minutes then wash it off with the hose. I DO NOT use a lot of pressure. Just a low pressure/gentle rinse and its clean. I then use WD40 and spray the car down with that (at least the screws) to help get the water out. Air compressor is next to make it all dry. Takes me like 15 minutes to clean the car like that.
Some say "never use water!". I ask how they do it and they use some cleaner like Simple green and an air compressor to blow the dirt off. Really whats the difference between a gentle wash with water and Simple Green and 90 psi ? It's going to get in the bearings anyway.
token likes this.
Old 04-23-2019, 12:35 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xlrsd View Post
I had a question on best practices for cleaning nitro buggyís/truggys after a race day. Some guys tell me they just take a pressure sprayer and spray it off. That seemed kind of crazy to me, with all the bearings and engine, and stuff like that. I guess Iím old school, and basically take the whole thing apart and wipe the pieces off with a rag. Which Iím sure you can imagine how long that takes. So because of how long this process is, Iíve been throwing around the idea in my head to just start doing that, spraying of with water/pressure sprayer. But I havenít really gotten a lot of info on how to properly do it. For example, what to take off prior to spraying, what to cover up, areas to avoid spraying (if any), and what to do immediately after spraying with water, to minimize water damage, and whatnot. I know this seems like such a mundane topic, but it seems itís rarely discussed, and there isnít a lot of info out there on the topic, unless Iím just looking in the wrong places. Anyway, could anyone just give me a rundown on the preferred process for this, and best practices and tips associated with this method of cleaning a nitro kit?? Thanks guys!
simple green / water 50/50 ...... quick clean - do only front and rear clips on car followed by endust ..... use only air to clean center components

full clean and parts check over while redoing diffs , resurfacing brakes and what not .....
disassemble car into its components which in my opinion are front / rear clips suspension ...... center diff ...... radio tray .... fuel tank ..... chassis .....

i then use simple green and air compressor but be careful not to really direct the air into the bearings with the simple green ...... once sufficely clean which might entail using a brush to get off the caked on dirt i follow with endust ..... let sit for a few minutes ..... air off ..... i actually blow the endust into the bearings and hinge areas and it seems to lubricate everything very well ..... try to refrain from blowing any of the cleaners into the diff gear area that is open

center diff assembly ..... this area you never want to spray down with chemicals ..... NEVER GET ANY CLEANERS ON YOUR BRAKES !!!!!!..... this will make your time on track not very fun as it will create ill working brake system ..... if you just wanna do a quick clean .... use brush and air compressor to clean .... if full on clean i prefer to disassemble and hand clean every component on center diff .... remove calipers and resurface contact area as well as clean rotors .... with denatured alcohol .....

tank .... simple green and brush works ...... denatured alcohol works ..... keep it sealed up by using screws to plug off lines

radio tray .... brush or light air compressor ..... endust to finish

engine...... light cleaning using brush and denatured alcohol is my preferred

by disassembling the car it lets you check everything over and fix any broken parts that could end your runs early

hope this helps
token likes this.
Old 04-23-2019, 06:33 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by houston View Post
simple green / water 50/50 ...... quick clean - do only front and rear clips on car followed by endust ..... use only air to clean center components

full clean and parts check over while redoing diffs , resurfacing brakes and what not .....
disassemble car into its components which in my opinion are front / rear clips suspension ...... center diff ...... radio tray .... fuel tank ..... chassis .....

i then use simple green and air compressor but be careful not to really direct the air into the bearings with the simple green ...... once sufficely clean which might entail using a brush to get off the caked on dirt i follow with endust ..... let sit for a few minutes ..... air off ..... i actually blow the endust into the bearings and hinge areas and it seems to lubricate everything very well ..... try to refrain from blowing any of the cleaners into the diff gear area that is open

center diff assembly ..... this area you never want to spray down with chemicals ..... NEVER GET ANY CLEANERS ON YOUR BRAKES !!!!!!..... this will make your time on track not very fun as it will create ill working brake system ..... if you just wanna do a quick clean .... use brush and air compressor to clean .... if full on clean i prefer to disassemble and hand clean every component on center diff .... remove calipers and resurface contact area as well as clean rotors .... with denatured alcohol .....

tank .... simple green and brush works ...... denatured alcohol works ..... keep it sealed up by using screws to plug off lines

radio tray .... brush or light air compressor ..... endust to finish

engine...... light cleaning using brush and denatured alcohol is my preferred

by disassembling the car it lets you check everything over and fix any broken parts that could end your runs early

hope this helps
Houston, thanks a lot for that very in depth and descriptive reply to my rather general question. If only everyone on the site replied like that! Haha awesome man, yeah, thatís kinda the gist of how I do it for the most part, minus the simple green. I essentially just take it apart every time. I guess itís just one of the things with RC you canít really get around, which is tedious and time consuming cleaning involved. Again, thank you for the in depth reply. And thank you all for your input.
Old 04-24-2019, 04:46 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'll remove the motor with the fuel take and radio tray, bomb it with engine de-greaser let it sit, maybe scrub some thicker spots and blow try, spray some pledge,or generic stuff works, and blow dry. I go through my bearings all the time so not too much of a concern for me.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:29 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

They used to sell nitro wash which was probably some 50/50 mix. Used to work good but I've been out of the game a while 👍🏼
Old 04-24-2019, 12:49 PM
Tech Regular

After removing the engine, pipe and radio tray it's off to the Local Buggy Wash.
Old 04-24-2019, 01:15 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by petersen114 View Post

After removing the engine, pipe and radio tray it's off to the Local Buggy Wash.
hahaha thatís awesome. Itís almost starting to seem like personal preference, with all the varying answers. Iíll prolly just have to find a good happy medium in there thatís faster for me. All are good!
Old 04-24-2019, 01:40 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Mbx4man View Post
They used to sell nitro wash which was probably some 50/50 mix. Used to work good but I've been out of the game a while 👍🏼
VP still sells a nitro cleaner by the gallon and in spray bottles.
Old 04-28-2019, 04:36 PM
Tech Initiate

Definitely take the engine out. It didn't hit me as to why I was going through sets of clutch bell bearings until I remembered how I wash my cars with the engines still in.
Old 04-29-2019, 06:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Yaaaa donít pressure wash your cars lmao. Back in the day I use to pressure wash my stuff and I blew them off after, still destroyed parts fast and would fill the diff cases with water you canít fully get to so eventually it seeps into your bearings which destroys your car. Really the pressure washer would be your best way if it didnít totally damage bearing seals, I use to love cleaning that way. Now a days I really either tear down a car for cleaning or I drive 3 days then tear down a practice car but tearing down is your best cleaning because your car will never fall apart. I literally never have stupid stuff happen anymore and how my stuff goes in and out is so procedure Iíve learned tons about the car.