Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Rebuilding an old Jato 3.3. What to do? >

Rebuilding an old Jato 3.3. What to do?

Like Tree3Likes

Rebuilding an old Jato 3.3. What to do?

Old 04-18-2019, 07:17 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 13 (88%+)

If you want better results they make motor mount conversions so you can mount a .21 race engine in it. most high engine .21+ race engines are manufactured with the best metals possible to with stand the high heat and forces produced by high nitromethane fuels. I will let you believe that your engine mods do any good lol but seriously throw the 3.3 away and bolt in a real engine. 3.3 engines are garbage from the top to bottom.. yes they serve a purpose to make the truck rtr but that's it.. remember we are talking about you wanting to run 35% nitro so it will go fast.
Old 04-18-2019, 08:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TomtenRC View Post
If you want better results they make motor mount conversions so you can mount a .21 race engine in it. most high engine .21+ race engines are manufactured with the best metals possible to with stand the high heat and forces produced by high nitromethane fuels. I will let you believe that your engine mods do any good lol but seriously throw the 3.3 away and bolt in a real engine. 3.3 engines are garbage from the top to bottom.. yes they serve a purpose to make the truck rtr but that's it.. remember we are talking about you wanting to run 35% nitro so it will go fast.
I donít want to use a .21 engine in this truck. I never have. I am pretty much seeing what the thing can handle. Now if you want to troll some more, go ahead.
Old 04-18-2019, 10:56 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 13 (88%+)

Not trying to troll but tell you that your efforts will be pointless. Ive only been running nitro engines for 20plus years. but anyways good luck with it.
Old 04-19-2019, 07:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TomtenRC View Post
Not trying to troll but tell you that your efforts will be pointless. Ive only been running nitro engines for 20plus years. but anyways good luck with it.
And I too have over 20 years running engines. I’ve had very different experiences with these engines than many people have. Just because you failed doesn’t mean someone else will too. While I agree they’re not top quality, they aren’t total trash. Especially with a good rod fitted. The videos will prove themselves.

I’ll give you a hint - I believe the success lies in the breaking in of the engine and the oil package in the fuel. These two things combined with the common practices of pre-heating, etc. are what make the difference, IMVHO.

Last edited by RCTecher12; 04-20-2019 at 07:43 AM.
Old 04-24-2019, 05:20 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by SlowLST2 View Post
Hereís a video of my Jato running with the modified 3.3 Traxxas engine. Itís only had a quart through it (10% nitro 14% oil) and still running rich (214F) pulled 56.7mph with 22/58 gears. I canít wait to see what itíll do with 24/54 gears and 35% Nitro. She should sing pretty good. https://youtu.be/rXndv5ZvL7o
Hey man, this was finals week so the past couple weeks have been rough. I totally forgot to even check back!

Awesome vid, looks to be running fantastic! And fast too!

My project was on a halt while I was deciding what to do because I found it was rougher than I thought.. But that has changed!

A fellow member on here has generously given me a great deal on a broken Jato with two extra running TRX 2.5 motors, so now I have all the small parts I need, extra everything if something breaks and 2 motors! I hope to have it up and running in a week or two!
Micah78 likes this.
Old 04-08-2020, 08:16 AM
Tech Rookie

where can i get a manual i will start fixing one and is parting out and i need put the parts together
Old 04-08-2020, 12:08 PM
Tech Elite

G search I got 29000 results pdfs there.make model so on
Old 06-02-2020, 10:10 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by javcarbe View Post
where can i get a manual i will start fixing one and is parting out and i need put the parts together
traxxas.com has the manuals, if not send me PM with an email I can send you a pdf