Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Cost Cutting Tips v.Extreme Cheapskate Edition >

Cost Cutting Tips v.Extreme Cheapskate Edition

Like Tree12Likes

Cost Cutting Tips v.Extreme Cheapskate Edition

Old 03-25-2019, 03:26 PM
Tech Elite

I reuse practice wheels all the time. Just cut off the rubber and dremel the edges. Simple green is your friend, especially if you buy it on sale at Costco. Non harding Clay, Michaels or Hobbylobby. Wife gets 70% coupons. Ace Hardware for Screws. $1 bearings (Avid). Everything else come from my LHS.
Old 03-31-2019, 09:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Professional liquid is no different if u wanna unglue and save rims I always tear down my wheels I have a ton of wheels and foams to tell me what’s good and what lasts. Using acetone in a big glass (1foot by 1 foot round at the bottom and flat with 6 inches and then a glass lid I can get threw 2 sets of wheels at once. I use to hear acetone gets aka glue off in 6 hours each side so I use to pull them out and have to wrench on them to get off cause acetone jellies up the surface and makes u think it’s ready but it takes a solid 8-10 hours each side and maybe more for certain people. I take 3 days every 2 sets when I don’t care but I’m sure u can go faster but not much. Use hand protection. And drill your actually rubber tires when u re glue, it’s so important to get that shiny top layer off because it’s slick as butter. Drill a layer off the glueing point and clean the rim so it’s clean for the tire and don’t clean the tire after you drill them. I have before and I didn’t have an unglue but I had all the napkin bits clinging to the dremel surface.
Old 04-04-2019, 09:54 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Anyone using non-RC CA glue, like Gorilla or Loktite?
Old 04-04-2019, 10:59 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TQdgrandbois View Post
i really would like to try the loctite professional liquid, but would still really like to re use my wheels and foams. have you guys tried cutting the rubber off the wheels and saving the foams and then soaking the wheels with the little strips of the tire on it in acetone? that's the current method i use to reuse my wheels and it works great! it just take 12 to 24 hours of soaking and the rubber wheel bond just come right apart. have you guys tried this method on the loctite?
Yes. After using Loctite professional strength glue, if you cut the tire off and soak the wheels with little strips of the tire it will come off the wheel just as easily. Seriously, +1 for the Loctite. Be good about your tire prep and the Loctite will work well--and you can buy it at Ace Hardware or WalMart. I had another brand of "specialty RC tire glue" fail me once in 1/8 nitro buggy main. Never again.
Old 04-04-2019, 11:04 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Big Will View Post
Anyone using non-RC CA glue, like Gorilla or Loktite?

Old 04-04-2019, 12:27 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robracing View Post
Yes. After using Loctite professional strength glue, if you cut the tire off and soak the wheels with little strips of the tire it will come off the wheel just as easily. Seriously, +1 for the Loctite. Be good about your tire prep and the Loctite will work well--and you can buy it at Ace Hardware or WalMart. I had another brand of "specialty RC tire glue" fail me once in 1/8 nitro buggy main. Never again.
I missed that post. I read that Gorilla has rubber particles in their glue which interestingly enough thats what some of the RC glue guys claim to be "the difference" with their glue. That and RC glue is usually thinner.
Old 04-04-2019, 02:04 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I run 5.8 Venturi to get better mileage cause price of fuel is getting crazy
frewster likes this.
Old 04-05-2019, 01:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Cut up strips of motocross tubes for tire glueing bands, never have one break again if it gets a little glue on them they are indestructible and usually flake off. Havnt seen one break yet. First time I used aka tire bands half of them broke after the first time due to a tiny bit of glue getting on them. And the tubes hold the tire on really solidly.
Old 04-05-2019, 11:07 PM
am
Tech Master

I tjhonk i was one of the original posters for Loctite many years ago. It is called 406. I have not had one tire come unglued lfor many years. It is expensive here in Norway ( like 25-30 dollars a small bottle), but one pair of tires come unglued is easely 35-40 so it really saves you mony.

You can get GRP rims down to 3 us dollars a pair ordering direct from Italy and not going through hobbyshops.
Old 04-07-2019, 08:08 PM
Tech Regular

buy a 1 gall of 30% nitro, then diluted till 25% with methanol&castor = 1 gall more fuel !
frewster likes this.