Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
HPI super nitro rs4 on road to off road conversion >

HPI super nitro rs4 on road to off road conversion

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Cudacharger

HPI super nitro rs4 on road to off road conversion

Reply

Old 01-03-2019, 08:20 PM
  #1  
Tech Rookie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 4
Default HPI super nitro rs4 on road to off road conversion

Ok, im taking the plunge and digging out my HPI super nitro that has been sitting in my basement for easily 14 years. I bought it back in 2002 and did the whole slammed racing truck look and it was a major pain in the butt back then as it limited where i could drive it. I've been seeing videos on line of people cleaning up there older nitro r/c's and i want to do the same. However, I want to convert the super nitro rs4 street truck into the rally version with a subaru body. Does anyone know what parts I would need to do the conversion? Any help that could be provided would be greatly appreciated.
steve392 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 08:48 PM
  #2  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 375
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Did something like this to a 10th scale,the first thing that needs to happen is clearancing the arms for droop.you need down travel,longer shocks all that....
I have not seen a super rs4 in a while but if its belt driven you will have a issue with dirt in the belt.
smash8ight is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 09:19 PM
  #3  
Tech Rookie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 4
Default

Originally Posted by smash8ight View Post
Did something like this to a 10th scale,the first thing that needs to happen is clearancing the arms for droop.you need down travel,longer shocks all that....
I have not seen a super rs4 in a while but if its belt driven you will have a issue with dirt in the belt.
Yea, that's been an issue when I drove it. It would get small rocks in the belt all the time. I just googled the super nitro rs4 rally. Didn't realize it used a totally different drive train. I'll see if i can even piece together the parts needed and see how it runs if i can even do it.
steve392 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 02:06 PM
  #4  
Tech Master
iTrader: (2)
 
MOmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,612
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

I acquired a LOT from a former racer and in his collection was a Super Nitro Rally.

I have no desire to restore it. Unsure of the condition, its been sitting awhile, but I am happy to give it a new home if needed.
PM me.



MOmo
MOmo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 08:17 AM
  #5  
Tech Rookie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 4
Default

Originally Posted by MOmo View Post
I acquired a LOT from a former racer and in his collection was a Super Nitro Rally.

I have no desire to restore it. Unsure of the condition, its been sitting awhile, but I am happy to give it a new home if needed.
PM me.



MOmo
Message sent.
steve392 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 02:35 PM
  #6  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (4)
 
Cudacharger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 216
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

I did a similar project in reverse order. Took a Super nitro rs4 and converted into a on road electric rally car.
Cudacharger is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:01 AM
  #7  
Tech Rookie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 4
Default

Originally Posted by Cudacharger View Post
I did a similar project in reverse order. Took a Super nitro rs4 and converted into a on road electric rally car.
Did you prefer a street version over offroad? I felt so limited with the street truck, crappy roads would just make it impossible to drive as it would jam up the belts or cause it to go out of control from bumps. Could not drivre it in winter with the rock salt. I think back and im like WTF was i thinking. lol
steve392 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 12:58 PM
  #8  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (4)
 
Cudacharger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 216
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by steve392 View Post
Did you prefer a street version over offroad? I felt so limited with the street truck, crappy roads would just make it impossible to drive as it would jam up the belts or cause it to go out of control from bumps. Could not drivre it in winter with the rock salt. I think back and im like WTF was i thinking. lol
I did like the street version much better then the off road version. The car was created after the Pikes Peak hill climb and when they changed the entire surface to asphalt.



JCarr likes this.
Cudacharger is offline  
Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service