Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By mlax
  • 1 Post By houston
  • 2 Post By jmackani

Needing some guidance

Old 12-15-2018, 07:09 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Needing some guidance

So Iíve been out of 1/8 scale racing since 2009 and havenít kept up with it at all. Looking for some opinions on what cars are the best to run now always have had an affinity for Losi but open to hearing what people are running and why.
Old 12-15-2018, 07:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

What I would suggest is going to your local track and just see what people are running there brand wise. If you get a local popular brand you will always have help with a spare part as well as tuning help. You are going to get every brand is the best. Pretty much all of your mainstream brands have good cars. I think the biggest improvement to rc cars since 2009 have been the tires. Nitro motors are about the same maybe a little more fuel efficient.
Old 12-15-2018, 07:50 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

They are all really good cars, Id go with what ever the main brand is at your home track. Easier to get setup and parts readily available.

With that being said. Tough to go wrong with a Kyosho, Mugen or Losi. Just my opinion.
Old 12-15-2018, 09:27 AM
Tech Initiate

Yeah I understand the local support but I also want to have some thing that is super tunable and drivable even if I have to order parts and have spare set up. When I was racing before I basically had enough spare is to rebuild the car three times with me at all points so not too worried about local support if the car is worth it
Old 12-15-2018, 10:10 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Tough to beat HB D817 v2 performance wise right now

looks like both Tekno and Kyosho have new kits around the corner.
TrespasseR_MN likes this.
Old 12-15-2018, 02:20 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

ive ran kyosho for 18yrs and i will never switch ...... the car is simple yet optimized as for tunability of the chassis ....... i would expect the new MPX to be no different ....... kyosho has always had "THE MAGIC" as JQ refers to .....

with that said ... many good cars in the mix these days .... since you have an affinity for LOSI the newest TLR 8X car seems to be good .....

put a board up with all the cars .... throw a dart ...... aim for kyosho ....
Team_Orange likes this.
Old 12-15-2018, 03:16 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The new Xray XB8 that just came out has got to be the "most tuneable" car with the option to run pivot balls or the c hub up front. I just came from the Kyosho and that thing was pretty planted as well.
Old 12-15-2018, 03:36 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by houston View Post
ive ran kyosho for 18yrs and i will never switch ...... the car is simple yet optimized as for tunability of the chassis ....... i would expect the new MPX to be no different ....... kyosho has always had "THE MAGIC" as JQ refers to .....

with that said ... many good cars in the mix these days .... since you have an affinity for LOSI the newest TLR 8X car seems to be good .....

put a board up with all the cars .... throw a dart ...... aim for kyosho ....
Aim for Kyosho, lol! The MPX might make me go back to the big K.
Old 12-19-2018, 09:29 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)
Default ....

I'm also just getting back in after a few years off. I always favored Mugen or Kyosho and often switch back and forth between the two depending on my mood. They are pretty good now.
Old 12-24-2018, 06:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I will give you an opinion tied with a couple of questions. How old are you and what are your expectations from racing now? Any of the top brands are great if they feel right to you. I bring up your age because many in the hobby are getting older now and so they blame the car for their faults when in most cases a youngster can take the same car and setup and run circles around us. Are you the type that expects the car to work out of the box or do you like to figure out your own setups? The kyosho and hb cars are great out of the box cars that i have seen sub par guys look like they really learned how to drive and all they did was switch cars. Mugen, AE and Xray are pretty similar and i believe they just take a little more work to get to handle similar. The tekno car appears to be a handful but if you drive on throttle all the time and like drifting it from the rear, it seems to fit those guys driving styles. To be honest since you left, Losi has fallen behind some in my opinion and the new car may bring some life back to them.
jkurz211 and jersey like this.
Old 12-27-2018, 08:46 PM
Tech Initiate

37 I have zero qualms about understanding suspension and tuning on it I probably have a better understanding of suspension design and function than most people, and I have spent a lot of years racing sprint cars and tons of time tuning chassis and suspensions, so not a worry just trying to see where everything falls currently. My RC racing career started way back in 96-97 when I was working for HobbyTown and fell off when I started traveling and working in full size race cars.
Old 12-30-2018, 11:35 AM
Tech Regular

FWIW someone recently did a cost break-down of all the popular brands and TLR came out the most cost effective.

https://www.reddit.com/r/rccars/comm..._v4_hpi_agama/
Old 12-30-2018, 11:43 AM
Tech Regular

I also recently re-entered the hobby after about a 10 year break. Started out with a Losi Rock Rey then got a pair of Tenacity-T's for my 7 year old and I. Being the racer that I am I eventually converted mine to an 1/8 buggy.

Now I'm not recommending a converted RTR as a viable race car. But given how durable it's been and how well it drives on the off-road track I'm convinced that I should stick with Losi and I'll be keeping my eye out for the 8ight-Xe kits next year.