Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree12Likes

Kyosho news????

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 10:06 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I have had every MP car since the MP-5. I'm not sure about other nitro buggies but I wish Kyosho would simplify the amount of different size and shape pills they use. If your in a hurry it can be hard to distinguish which pills are for which suspension blocks. Maybe JQ can weigh in on why this may or may not be possible. Also it is very strange that you do not get the hard anodized towers or chasiss but when you order the direct replacement parts you get the hard anodized versions.
Old 12-07-2018, 11:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by houston
what needs to be changed on the car?
Better anodizing, quick access diffs, and stronger arms would be a good start.
Old 12-07-2018, 01:13 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

MX304 brings up a good point, their Anodizing!!! Wears away so fast.
Old 12-07-2018, 02:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I don't think anything really needs changed on the car. I got two TKI4's that are dialed no matter what I throw at them. If anything needs updated its the anodizing lol!
Old 12-07-2018, 02:47 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by KINGZJ
On a whole the car is fairly solid but their are many areas that simply need refined.

Front arms are just junk. If your not racing in hot weather you will break front arms

B block pills are a major issue causing arm breakage. Pills get pushed back and the hinge pins pop out.

anodizing is sub par and lasts as long as a cake at fat camp

you have to pre drill a hole under the clutch bell to keep from the chassis flexing so much and hitting it.

fuel tank is garbage. the white internal filter disengrates and goes through the fuel system and if you dont have a filter it will go right to your engine. Not to mention no clunker.

chassis braces are like wet noodles and hold a bend after very little run time.

shielded bearings get dirty fast should be sealed bearings.

radio try is a pain to work on and is very flexible.

just to name a few
i guess it depends on how you look at it .......

i make the car my own by doing things to combat what you are mentioning ....

only things i find as "wear items" are front center axle and rear chassis brace

my cars can go long stents without a full rebuild .....

now in the hands of say a rookie driver who wrecks a lot .... i can see where the things you are mentioning may come into play . is it THE MOST durable car on the planet .... not even close .... is it an awesome race machine ... yes ..... with any car on the market there are quirks and lil things that will need to be addressed to make it somewhat "bulletproof"

as for the fuel system ..... theres not a person out there that has tuned any engine with the kyosho fuel system that can argue with me that it is the most consistent fuel system on the market ...... i say a system as it is designed to be used with the fuel filter/reservoir/pressure equalization piece in line .....
VIVA LA KYOSHO

happy motorin'
305M3 likes this.
Old 12-07-2018, 03:00 PM
Tech Master

There is no combating the anodizing. Kyosho needs to include ALL the HA parts in The kit....but we know they never will.
Old 12-07-2018, 03:06 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcmoe
There is no combating the anodizing. Kyosho needs to include ALL the HA parts in The kit....but we know they never will.
the pricepoint would make it not feesible ..... when they switched the anodizing from the mp9 TKI kit to the tki2 .... i was saddened ....lol
Old 12-07-2018, 03:11 PM
Tech Master

Exactly my point. The cost would be ridiculous which in itself is ridiculous. The HA stuff shouldn’t be so expensive but it’s a way Kyosho makes more money
Old 12-07-2018, 03:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JQ
They just released the MP9 in 2008 mate.....

... correct, when Kyosho showed this at Shizuoka!
Old 12-07-2018, 11:08 PM
JQ
Tech Master

Originally Posted by windellmc

you should read the whole quote. I said mp9 evo which just came out at the end of the summer.
The mp9 evo is still an mp9
1/8 IC Fan likes this.
Old 12-07-2018, 11:37 PM
JQ
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Payton 34
I have had every MP car since the MP-5. I'm not sure about other nitro buggies but I wish Kyosho would simplify the amount of different size and shape pills they use. If your in a hurry it can be hard to distinguish which pills are for which suspension blocks. Maybe JQ can weigh in on why this may or may not be possible. Also it is very strange that you do not get the hard anodized towers or chasiss but when you order the direct replacement parts you get the hard anodized versions.
The reason for the anodising being different in the kit vs spares, is that the cost of the kit needs to be kept down, so they save where they can.
For anyone that has read my blog, you will know that I have held the Kyosho in high regard, and referred to the "Magic" that you feel driving it, when the setup is right. If I was Kyosho I would make sure to not lose that, but at the same time create a new platform. Modernise and simplify the design, both image and function, and add the "right" adjustability. Then the stock setup is known and safe, and it has the new required set up possibilities that enable further development.
305M3 likes this.
Old 12-08-2018, 08:23 AM
Tech Elite

I know I will be attacked again for saying what I think but here it goes.
The mp9 doesn't need anything performance wise. Are the front arms weak? Maybe yes but think this way, better to break an arm than tweak something more important like the holders or the chassis. Every other car is moving to stiffer plastics to have better performance, the entire car only needs to have top notch performance for an one hour main,any more than that means carrying extra weight or other disadvantages. I can live with that, if you can't then there's plenty of other cars that don't break as often, but don't claim the others to be perfect.
MattDickson and 305M3 like this.
Old 12-08-2018, 08:49 PM
JQ
Tech Master

Originally Posted by 30Tooth
I know I will be attacked again for saying what I think but here it goes.
The mp9 doesn't need anything performance wise. Are the front arms weak? Maybe yes but think this way, better to break an arm than tweak something more important like the holders or the chassis. Every other car is moving to stiffer plastics to have better performance, the entire car only needs to have top notch performance for an one hour main,any more than that means carrying extra weight or other disadvantages. I can live with that, if you can't then there's plenty of other cars that don't break as often, but don't claim the others to be perfect.
Define the word "need".
Old 12-09-2018, 03:58 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JQ
Define the word "need".
The Kyosho magic is down to the roll distribution being set naturally to the front, one has to be extreme in the setup to dial more rearward roll distribution because the front wheel side driveshafts are angled in relation to the lower arm, which according to my calculations add around 0.3mm of sway bar. The rear end isn't angled so the roll stiffness is down to springs+sway bar. As always, the stiffest end is the first one to lose traction.

The rest of the setup depends on this fine balance, any attempt to make the driveshafts more straight is met with a balance change as I found out. Still, the mp9 is in the sweet spot setup wise and with a change in the stock setup by using the tki3 B plate and arms, the +2mm upper arm holder, H-S shock tower, the 2.5mm front sway bar and different pistons front and rear the mp9 is ready to tackle 10 more years.

So "need" is about the mp9 being too safe to drive, it can be more aggressive/faster with the changes I wrote above but for sure it still fast stock as Tebo showed at the Worlds.
Old 12-09-2018, 09:22 AM
JQ
Tech Master

Originally Posted by 30Tooth
The Kyosho magic is down to the roll distribution being set naturally to the front, one has to be extreme in the setup to dial more rearward roll distribution because the front wheel side driveshafts are angled in relation to the lower arm, which according to my calculations add around 0.3mm of sway bar. The rear end isn't angled so the roll stiffness is down to springs+sway bar. As always, the stiffest end is the first one to lose traction.

The rest of the setup depends on this fine balance, any attempt to make the driveshafts more straight is met with a balance change as I found out. Still, the mp9 is in the sweet spot setup wise and with a change in the stock setup by using the tki3 B plate and arms, the +2mm upper arm holder, H-S shock tower, the 2.5mm front sway bar and different pistons front and rear the mp9 is ready to tackle 10 more years.

So "need" is about the mp9 being too safe to drive, it can be more aggressive/faster with the changes I wrote above but for sure it still fast stock as Tebo showed at the Worlds.
I disagree with both your points. The magic isn't the roll axis, as other cars have similar setups but lack the magic. Also if Tebo's car was naturally faster he would have been battling Ongaro and Maifield and not Stringer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.