Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
MBX8 or D817 V2. Which one is the best? >

MBX8 or D817 V2. Which one is the best?

Like Tree5Likes

MBX8 or D817 V2. Which one is the best?

Old 11-24-2018, 11:49 AM
Tech Initiate

Default MBX8 or D817 V2. Which one is the best?

Personally, I would like to know which is the best nitro car of these 2 models. Which has the longest durability of plastic and aluminum parts? Are the d817 hubs rugged?
Old 11-24-2018, 01:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Try to drive both and ask the owners for a honest review.
Motorman007 likes this.
Old 11-24-2018, 03:27 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

HB might be the most durable car I've ever driven. When the 812 came out I drove it for a year with only replacing fluids and bearings. Not one broken part never had a race I didnt finish due to the car. Flame out or tire issue maybe but never had a car issue. The arms are so soft and flexible the dont seem to break. You can break the insert either carbon or plastic.
I had an engine pop at the end of the front straight and the car spun around and faced the wrong direction and before I could warn the drivers a guy hit me at full speed. It ripped his front left shock off, broke the tower, and the left arm. I didn't replace any parts. True story. BTW he was driving a Mugen.
Goof and jersey like this.
Old 11-24-2018, 04:42 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I had the same question a couple months ago.did the research and choose the hb car.I can attest to the durability.and the drive is good to...ill be racing this car for a while....
Old 11-24-2018, 05:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

They are both great cars, I’ve had both in the last 3 months and currently have the d817 v2 right now but my son has the mbx8 still. We have been at the track for the past 2 days running and we switched cars a few times just to see how they compare. The mbx8 is a great car and drives more like a tank, the d817 v2 drives very nimble witch I love. The d817 has a ton of grip on power coming out of a corner. My son didn’t like my d817 and loved his Mugen but i love the 817 over the Mugen for my driving style. The are both very durable....my boy is hard on his Mugen and he hasn’t broke it yet... I went off of a triple today and while it was in the air I said “well that’s broke”...and I held up like nothing...

It all comes down to your driving style. All these cars are very durable but I can say the Mugen will wear out way less then other cars..the material used is very good
Old 11-24-2018, 08:49 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by fastchvy View Post
They are both great cars, Iíve had both in the last 3 months and currently have the d817 v2 right now but my son has the mbx8 still. We have been at the track for the past 2 days running and we switched cars a few times just to see how they compare. The mbx8 is a great car and drives more like a tank, the d817 v2 drives very nimble witch I love. The d817 has a ton of grip on power coming out of a corner. My son didnít like my d817 and loved his Mugen but i love the 817 over the Mugen for my driving style. The are both very durable....my boy is hard on his Mugen and he hasnít broke it yet... I went off of a triple today and while it was in the air I said ďwell thatís brokeĒ...and I held up like nothing...

It all comes down to your driving style. All these cars are very durable but I can say the Mugen will wear out way less then other cars..the material used is very good
unfortunately I do not have the opportunity to test any of the 2 before making the purchase. Currently I have a tekno eb48.4, which I like a lot and I adapted well to his style of steering. But in my region it is difficult to find parts for tekno, with this I am between the HB and Mugen. Do you think that the fact of the mugen having HTD differentials, makes it a car with a lot more traction and with much more force than the HB? Which one do you find easier to drive? What in your opinion are the pros and cons of each?
Old 11-24-2018, 09:08 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The diffs(HTD)just means the diff will handle heavier loads.....big power, high traction situations...
they are made better than tbe previous version.thats all....
Old 11-25-2018, 08:53 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Paulo Braz View Post
unfortunately I do not have the opportunity to test any of the 2 before making the purchase. Currently I have a tekno eb48.4, which I like a lot and I adapted well to his style of steering. But in my region it is difficult to find parts for tekno, with this I am between the HB and Mugen. Do you think that the fact of the mugen having HTD differentials, makes it a car with a lot more traction and with much more force than the HB? Which one do you find easier to drive? What in your opinion are the pros and cons of each?
If you like the tekno feel I highly recommend the HB car. The mbx8 feels nothing like the tekno car, it will be a totally different feel for you.
Old 11-25-2018, 10:29 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Regardless, you can not go wrong with pretty much any buggy out there. HB has won some WC's and so has Mugen. Its all preference, You just have to take the plunge. All cars have their quirks and are different, but at the end of the day, they will all make it through the Mains!

As Fastchvy stated coming from a (C-hub) car, it will be a bit harder to get used to a Pivot Ball setup.

If you cant get Tekno parts in your area, can you even get HB parts???
Old 11-25-2018, 10:56 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by 1/8 IC Fan View Post
Regardless, you can not go wrong with pretty much any buggy out there. HB has won some WC's and so has Mugen. Its all preference, You just have to take the plunge. All cars have their quirks and are different, but at the end of the day, they will all make it through the Mains!

As Fastchvy stated coming from a (C-hub) car, it will be a bit harder to get used to a Pivot Ball setup.

If you cant get Tekno parts in your area, can you even get HB parts???
Yes, HB and mugen parts are sold in my area.
Old 11-25-2018, 10:59 AM
Tech Initiate

If you like the tekno feel I highly recommend the HB car. The mbx8 feels nothing like the tekno car, it will be a totally different feel for you.
Piloting style does not worry me much. I just want a car that has great durability, stamina, performance and does not break anything. The car has to handle heavy work.
Old 11-25-2018, 10:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Paulo Braz View Post
Piloting style does not worry me much. I just want a car that has great durability, stamina, performance and does not break anything. The car has to handle heavy work.
mugen
Old 11-26-2018, 11:33 AM
Tech Initiate

Does anyone know the weight of the MBX8 (chassis only)?
Old 11-26-2018, 06:06 PM
Tech Initiate

They are both great cars, Iíve had both in the last 3 months and currently have the d817 v2 right now but my son has the mbx8 still. We have been at the track for the past 2 days running and we switched cars a few times just to see how they compare. The mbx8 is a great car and drives more like a tank, the d817 v2 drives very nimble witch I love. The d817 has a ton of grip on power coming out of a corner. My son didnít like my d817 and loved his Mugen but i love the 817 over the Mugen for my driving style. The are both very durable....my boy is hard on his Mugen and he hasnít broke it yet... I went off of a triple today and while it was in the air I said ďwell thatís brokeĒ...and I held up like nothing...

I talked to a pilot who rode the MBX8 and the d817 v2. He said that HB seems to be heavier and less agile, but stable and easy to drive, and that to perform the long jumps needs to get stronger than with the mugen, to make the jump. Did you who drove the two also agree with that?
Old 11-28-2018, 08:01 PM
Tech Initiate

Do hdd type differentials really make a difference or is it just marketing? Is anyone who has ever used hb, do you know if its differentials are smaller than those of mbx8?

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service