Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Nitro practice alone >

Nitro practice alone

Like Tree6Likes

Nitro practice alone

Old 11-22-2018, 09:36 AM
Tech Adept

Default Nitro practice alone

Hey guys, I'm an electric racer that has always wante to race nitro but it seems the urge has gotten bigger over the last few months. I come from a motocross background so yeah, what else do I need to tell you...

I know if I were to try it, I'd make many mistakes along the way and I'm not too bothered by that. There is one thing however that has me a little scared and that's the pit man necessity.
I'm not too worried about race days. I'll usually have a few buddies with me that would certainly pit for me if I asked them. It's the practice days that I'm worried about.

My work schedule makes it so that I'm regularly at the track at times when literally nobody is there and I can't bring anyone with me. I figure it's theoretically possible to run a nitro car alone by yourself but do people actually do this? Getting off the stand every 7 minutes to refuel the car, resetting timers, etc...

I don't want to practice electric and race nitro. I either want to do it right or not do it at all.
Old 11-22-2018, 10:22 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I practice alone and it can be done, depends on how bad you want it! Brapp!!!!
Old 11-22-2018, 10:22 AM
Tech Champion

How well can you tune an engine?
The experienced guys can tune the engine on the starter box and will run fine on the track. Most transmitters have telemetry options so it is wise to use a temperature sensor to keep some control on the tuning.
With offroad you can run up to 10 minutes so drive carefully and you can run the tank empty w/o comming from the driver stand to marshal your car. If you need to walk to your car a lot you will learn that it is anoying and should not make mistakes
J.Whiting likes this.
Old 11-22-2018, 12:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I did that a lot. Get a good, safe tune on the engine, try to have batteries charged and a bag with the stuff you need beforehand ready to go. For timer use the one your radio has or your phone, make notes where you end and how many laps you made. Write down some notes, that way you build your own database, ambient temperature, time of day, weather...
Old 11-22-2018, 03:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Not even a question you should ask yourself, ofcourse u can!! I’ve done it that way since forever and I’m sure most do unless you have an injury. You will also really get into tune with knowing more about your car this way, I can pit for gas within a lap or 2 or running out just from experience. I know my tuning finger has miles of experience in it and I can do everything how I want. Don’t get me wrong, if my buddies going and flipping his car from a crash I will tell him to get me some gas or tune on a needle if needed but other then that I’m sure most club racers knock out there practice days doing 90% of there program. Rc practice u don’t need help, just racing. Have fun I also come from a motocross backround, we really catch the hang of nitro fast and I drive just like I raced on a 450.
Old 11-23-2018, 12:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Im lucky to have access to the local track whenever conditions are good and a copy of the timing software. I practice alone quite a bit. Usually running 5 or 7 minute mock qualifiers. Ill make a base run, come in after check stuff out and possibly make a change then hit the track for another. When i make a change im looking at how it effects both my lap time and my consistancy over the amount of time. It would be nice to be able to so long run testing and have a guy to fuel but you dont need anyone to practice
Old 11-23-2018, 07:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I have practiced nitro alone a few times. Adds extra incentive not to crash I just make sure my motor is running well, and then I go up in the stand and start the timer on my remote. I usually run off of the stand to refuel or flip my buggy, so I get some exercise in to.. It is nice practicing alone as you can hear how your buggy is running and how tweaking the needles effects the sound, etc.
Old 11-23-2018, 11:11 AM
Tech Regular

If your going to start racing nitro. I highly suggest just practice at first. Get a cheaper engine like 100-150 for a engine to learn on and practice with. Take time breaking it in. Then practice learn tuning listen what the engine sounds like etc and learn the needles on each engine you run. Different engines can tune very different! I have a lot of brands and tuning one is completely different then other. Learning the needles will help you on raceday from flaming out and from having a bad tune in qualifer or race if you get good at tuning. Bad tune and overheating the engine damages the sleeve and will lead to premature wear. I see people at local track and in 2 gallons there engine is shot cause they can't tune good. Then like my engine has 4-5 gallons and still have great compression. So learning tuning will actually help you save money in long run from re pinching engine alot or blowing up engine.
I suggest putting a gallon of break in and practice on engine before you go race it. Break it in slow and take your time learning the tuning. Ryan lutz has a good alpha tuning video on YouTube. I practice nitro a lot. Also on race days I do what lutz does in that video on straight but do it in grass or parking lot of track. Tune my engine then practice for a bit and see how it is.
Indont recommend learning tuning on raceday on the track cause say If there's a couple other engines going at same tracks it can be hard to hear how the engine is running and if to lean you can blow it up. Practicing on practice day is good cause you can run for like say 25 mins like a main and see how hot your engine gets. As far as refilling the tank. You just go down stand and fill it up. Or if it has ramp drive it up ramp and fill car up keep bottle on stand. If you got stairs walk down the stairs get some excercise. Some tracks might be 7 mins some might be 13'mins depends on track engine driving style tune etc.
its good to play around with pipes and manifolds clutch setups and see what you like and compare mileage etc. I think it's more important to practice nitro then it is then say EBuggy. Even tessman said it. Practice with something like nitro Buggy or 2wd Buggy and you'll become a better driver.
i also have access to local track everyday so i go a lot. Can't practice with timer there though. But I don't even set a timer. I just kinda know in my head. If I'm working on mileage and tune then I'll set a phone timer it just having fun then no timer. If I flip I'll fill my car up.
Any other questions feel free to ask

Last edited by jersey; 11-23-2018 at 11:27 AM.
Old 11-26-2018, 11:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 30Tooth View Post
I did that a lot. Get a good, safe tune on the engine, try to have batteries charged and a bag with the stuff you need beforehand ready to go. For timer use the one your radio has or your phone, make notes where you end and how many laps you made. Write down some notes, that way you build your own database, ambient temperature, time of day, weather...
THIS.

I do the same, also add in setup notes on what I think may need to be done, do it on the bench and see how that translates on the track.

Definitely DO time a run until she cuts out, then back off about 30-45 seconds (or more depending on how long a lap is at your track) and use this as your time to come pit. Bring it down pit lane, run down, fuel up and off ya go, rinse, repeat.

I can push 9mins, 15 seconds on a safe tune but come in around 8 1/2 mins.(time for my race tune)

You will definitely want to have a good safe tune or if you're good at tuning, a really good race tune on it.

Racing by yourself, YOU WILL LEARN HOW NOT TO CRASH!!! Marshalling your own car SUCKS!

Its actually a LOT of fun. No one around to see you crash and/or suck :-)
Old 11-26-2018, 03:13 PM
Tech Regular

Yea I practiced for like 6months before I started racing. I had a disadvantage of a traumatic brain injury so i had to build up my concentration and fatigue headaches etc. Iím still building myself up. But i think practice is important for nitro. Get a feel for clutches for different surfaces jumps and mileage and learn tuning different engines. Also practice for like how long the mains are to. So if your track has 25-30-45-1hr long mains I think itís good to practice for that length and build up your consistency over that long of time. I think it helps cause some people start getting sloppy after after say 15 mins or 20 mins. And maybe if you have a aggressive setup you might not be able to drive the car aggressively for that long and it might be better to go with a easy to drive setup for a long main depending on your driving. Also learning what tires will last on the track for a long main etc
Old 11-26-2018, 05:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Dude.. this is why you buy a nitro! So you can practice an hour straight without fooling around with batter swaps and letting electronics cool down! Take a breather when you refuel and stretch... geez!
Old 11-26-2018, 05:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

It will teach you not to crash real
quick
Old 11-26-2018, 10:55 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by E1 Diablo View Post
Dude.. this is why you buy a nitro! So you can practice an hour straight without fooling around with batter swaps and letting electronics cool down! Take a breather when you refuel and stretch... geez!
haha yea nothing is better then driving for like a hour. I do it all the time, burning a gallon in a day is fun to. Gallon challenge haha
jhold87 and E1 Diablo like this.
Old 12-19-2018, 08:08 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)

Originally Posted by jersey View Post

haha yea nothing is better then driving for like a hour. I do it all the time, burning a gallon in a day is fun to. Gallon challenge haha
I can remember being at the track one day and my truggy was on rails, think I burned over a gallon that day.
Old 12-20-2018, 02:00 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by jhold87 View Post
I can remember being at the track one day and my truggy was on rails, think I burned over a gallon that day.
nice yea thatís the best thing. Itís so much fun just running non stop all day. Some people that just race should do it, itís a blast makes you feel like a kid again haha

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service