Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree6Likes

Nitro practice alone

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2018, 12:12 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks for all the responses guys, really helpful.
jersey likes this.
Old 12-21-2018, 12:14 PM
Tech Adept

Get yourself a lap monitor then you can see if the changes you have made to your set up have made an improvement or not. https://lapmonitor.com/store/en/
Old 12-21-2018, 08:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wreckingball
Get yourself a lap monitor then you can see if the changes you have made to your set up have made an improvement or not. https://lapmonitor.com/store/en/
have you ever tried that? Works good?
My friend from my club track told me to get a lap tracker app on my phone. I tried it out one day but not sure how accurate it is cause I haven’t compared it to a my laps timer yet cause the racing season is over where I’m at. One day I go to the indoor 1/10 track if they have the lap counter on I will test it out For sure and compare it.
You use your phone And put it set up on tripod or just set up and it opens the camera in the app to show what areas it will pick up the car passing by then set sensitivity put it on timer or whatever like a qualifier or unlimited and it will say the times. Use a speaker connected to phone if you want to be able to hear it. I tried it like 2 weeks ago and it worked but not sure how accurate it is cause haven’t compared it yet. I think you can only have one car on track at a time. I plan on using that now for practice curious how accurate the app is.
Old 12-22-2018, 12:58 PM
Tech Adept

Looks really good to me.
Old 12-22-2018, 10:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by wreckingball
nice looks pretty good.

Next time im at a track with a lap counter running I’m going to compare this 2 dollar lap tracker app to a my laps checker. Seems to work fine though just want to see how accurate it is.
Old 12-23-2018, 07:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

If you’re like most people, you need consistent laps without wrecking. Marshaling yourself will help with that.

Don’t worry about timed laps.
Old 12-23-2018, 01:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by E1 Diablo
If you’re like most people, you need consistent laps without wrecking. Marshaling yourself will help with that.

Don’t worry about timed laps.
i agree with you at first but after time when you can drive consistently around the track and not crash that much. Having the lap timer to practice will really show if a certain change on your car is making you faster after a couple timed laps. Can test tires etc to see what is working better. Also if you time yourself and not just laps you can see how many laps you would get in 5 min qualifier at that track and if you know what the fast guys are putting down in 5mins on race day in qualifier on average. You can work on that on a normal day and work to get your average the same as there’s. Also if you have a timer for overall time you can see how long your tank is lasting to get a base average of how long you can go on tank. Compare pipes clutch etc for mileage and if you have lap timer you know ok I’m on pace of the lap times and my fuel mileage is this etc. yes weather may be different on race day but it’s good to have a idea and practice that stuff.
wreckingball likes this.
Old 12-23-2018, 05:06 PM
Tech Master

Don’t get me wrong, timed laps are nice, but I wouldn’t let that dictate whether or not you can gauge a setup change is good. Most changes I can tell if it’s moving in the right or wrong direction within one maybe two laps. Maybe that’s just me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Timed practice is nice for hot laps! Woohoo! You can use the stop watch on your phone to time for fuel economy.
Old 12-23-2018, 07:08 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

well, I have seen a car feel better, but be overall slower by almost two seconds, in the hands of a experienced driver.
Old 12-23-2018, 10:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

Don’t get me wrong, timed laps are nice, but I wouldn’t let that dictate whether or not you can gauge a setup change is good. Most changes I can tell if it’s moving in the right or wrong direction within one maybe two laps. Maybe that’s just me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Timed practice is nice for hot laps! Woohoo! You can use the stop watch on your phone to time for fuel economy.
yea I understand it can go both ways. When practice I don’t use a lap counter. A friend at my local outdoor club track told me about a lap tracker app. I only used it one time so far looking forward to using it. But yea you’ll notice a change in setup tires etc just driving around most of time and see if it’s faster. But yea sometimes a car might feel good but you can’t drive it fast. If you can practice with the timer it won’t hurt, even if you do no setup changes at all you can see if your getting faster or getting more consistent say you do 30 laps and your average pace keeps getting faster it shows your getting better etc. but yea practicing with timer for hot lap is fun. Was doing it the first time I went to a indoor track and one guy was like rub this on your tires. After all day of practice with no tire sauce got 2 seconds quicker first lap then the past 4 hours lol. Outside practice with different tires could be same thing. But anyway just driving nitro outside is so fun for people that only really race don’t know what there missing. It’s so fun practicing specially when you have a couple people just battaling each other for fun.
E1 Diablo likes this.
Old 12-24-2018, 05:43 AM
Tech Master

Here are some older threads on practice. You'll find some consistent suggestions like...
- slow is fast
- drive in control
- focus on learning one section of a track at a time
- consistency before speed
- take notes
- practice with another racer to work on racing technique
- make sure your car has no mechanical problems
etc.

Driving tips & techniques - how do the pros develop thier skills?
Raceday & practicing - Q&A
Practice Advice
Old 12-24-2018, 07:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

Back when I raced nitro I never practiced with pit stops. I would just run a tank then take a break.
Old 12-26-2018, 11:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Here are some older threads on practice. You'll find some consistent suggestions like...
- slow is fast
- drive in control
- focus on learning one section of a track at a time
- consistency before speed
- take notes
- practice with another racer to work on racing technique
- make sure your car has no mechanical problems
etc.

Driving tips & techniques - how do the pros develop thier skills?
Raceday & practicing - Q&A
Practice Advice
All great tips that I use!

Thanks for the threads! Definitely need the help in the skills department