Gyros! Can we talk about it...? >

Gyros! Can we talk about it...?

Like Tree3Likes

Gyros! Can we talk about it...?

Old 11-16-2018, 02:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default Gyros! Can we talk about it...?

Hey guys!! First off I know these are not legal to race with and I have no intentions of using one, with that said I know a few smart people here have taken there buggy/truggy (or any other off-road rc) out with one to see what they are all about. Can anyone confirm or deny itís advantage for a skilled driver? Or if they only work on certain track conditions? With all this talk about it possibly being taken advantage of in pro racing it has me thinking if anyone has done some testing to see where a gyro puts them and if so who wants to talk about it? After looking up videos and reading some stuff on the Internet Iíve seen that they have a certain characteristic when picking up the vehicle and swinging it back and fourth. Thatís not to say they arnt totally detectable as Iím sure some racers have the means or access to cover this up by having it hidden in there radios by activating a switch however Iím here wondering how much we know about these in the nitro/electric off-road world. There doesnít seem to be a clear cut answer, so maybe we canít start talking about it?

Last edited by Matt Piva; 11-16-2018 at 02:57 AM.
Old 11-16-2018, 02:58 AM
Tech Champion

I think they work better for those wo can not get the setup right. For those who can make their car predictabel to their driving style -as most topdrivers can- the gyro will make it unpredictable.
MX304 and Morpheus1289 like this.
Old 11-16-2018, 03:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Gyros are a need in heli, they fight turning so guess what happens once put on a car? You can conceal one but how it works its way evident, yaw the car and the steering will move.
Old 11-16-2018, 06:52 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Haha, we tried Gyros in 1:8 2wd buggies as we drive in France, it did not help anything. it was easier to learn to drive the car like a Heavy 1:10 2wd buggy.

That being said maybe invite this guy, who supposedly has run a Gyro : https://www.rctech.net/forum/members...es-225638.html

but even at our club races the tech is so tight, and everyone knows one another, that no one would willingly run a Gyro or other driver aid such as RPM pickups.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Wasn't JQ supposed to test this out on a nitro buggy? I haven't seen anything posted yet, but that would be worth having a look at whenever it's published.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:15 AM
Tech Champion

Remembers me this topic:
Non-Competition Driving; Gyros For All My Cars...
Old 11-16-2018, 08:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

TLR had something similar in their ready to runs a few years ago.. it worked great but felt weird..
Old 11-16-2018, 11:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by captain america View Post
Wasn't JQ supposed to test this out on a nitro buggy? I haven't seen anything posted yet, but that would be worth having a look at whenever it's published.
something like this would be a great article to read, a real racer that would apply a test with more then one track and more then one driver to see where these gyros stack up. You would think this kind of testing would be done for pure product speculation but I havnt seen anything. What types of tracks you have to look out for them at, what skill levels benefit from them and most importantly the characteristics on track to expect. In my opinion I think if you use a gyro you always use it because it creates a completely different way of driving as the car can be unpredictably predictable,as-in, entering a corner with no aids makes the car rotate, if u canít control it coming into a corner u may pop off the inner pipe where as a gyro sounds like it would do the opposite and if your not use to it you will blow the corner out wide and not rotate, so in this sense a driver would have to either be using it all the time to understand what it will do.
Old 11-16-2018, 11:33 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
or this one:

Gyro in 1/8 buggy
Old 11-16-2018, 11:35 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by captain america View Post
I am not sure if he may be attending the EOS right now. He will surely make good on his promise, ala' when he did the endurance testing of components on his car.

To stir the pot a bit:

https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/tools...t-unit/tgu-01/

Last edited by 1/8 IC Fan; 11-17-2018 at 12:24 PM.
Old 11-19-2018, 01:09 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

FYI: there are servos built with gyroscopes built into the servo itself .... they are programmable through close proximity sensor like bluetooth

virtually undetectable ...... if you are trying to hide gyro use of course .....
Old 11-19-2018, 01:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by houston View Post
FYI: there are servos built with gyroscopes built into the servo itself .... they are programmable through close proximity sensor like bluetooth

virtually undetectable ...... if you are trying to hide gyro use of course .....

reallly? Iíve seen receivers with them but never servos... I have heard that guys took shorty servos and wired in the Gyro and then just fit it into the bigger case... but never one factory,

post a a link if you donít mind...
Old 11-19-2018, 01:34 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by kgombe View Post

reallly? Iíve seen receivers with them but never servos... I have heard that guys took shorty servos and wired in the Gyro and then just fit it into the bigger case... but never one factory,

post a a link if you donít mind...
https://diydrones.com/forum/topics/s...-for-light-and
Old 11-19-2018, 01:43 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by houston View Post

But they must be easy to detect because it must have a 4th wire to be switched on and of or else it is continious on so move the car and if the steer moves there is a gyro.
Old 11-19-2018, 01:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Perhaps this is premature, but I have a strong suspicion that when a side-by-side test is performed, the advantage to an expert driver may turn out to be far less than anticipated, if not outright hampering to overall performance.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service