Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree153Likes

2018 ifmar worlds

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 09:31 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

I do not know, again, until Davide or Ifmar clarify further as to how this whole Gyro debate came about. Supposedly it is stated someone chimed in while he was thanking his sponsors at the banquet!

Either way, it is a shame, as just looking at his past history based on results, he can wheel a car very well.

...I have seen photos of the car, and the fact that he uses a piece of flat cable as a Pull tab on his receiver pack, may look to be something else, but it is not, its just a piece of flat-wire super-glued to his connector.

- Either way he did a great job and got a well deserved win.

And Maifield may be better off getting a full OS Ride, in 2015 at the World Indoor Buggy Cup he ran a OS Mill with an orion head.
from RCRevolution: RcRevolution.net - Ryan Maifield engine... - News - News

jersey likes this.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by maddog9
Also, RM got caught using an OS block with a REDS head. When has that happened before? Oh that's right RM ran a GRP head with an OS back in the day. He should just run an OS and be done with it.
It goes back even further than that. Back in 2006 before the RC8 was released, the Associated guys were running the Thunder Tiger buggy. I think he was technically running the REEDY engine, but ran and won the ROAR nats with the blue-headed OS VZ-B. At least no one tried to hide it back then; even the wining engine was listed as OS. That being said, the Maifield/OS love affair goes way back.
jersey likes this.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

So this begs the Question ( And an IFMAR WORLDS carries differet weight, BUT - http://thequagraine.com/2017/04/18/try-traction/ )

Is there a scale of "Worse offense" when it comes to violating the whole "breach of contract" ?
If you want to go back, as JQ pointed out and TT eventually apologized for using competitors tires.

Running another brand tires vs using a different motor, how would you compare the two?
Also, all things being equal, should PL have CUT TT for his breach?

IMO RM has gotten the "bad boy" vibe/image from those in RC and I wonder how much that has played into the response to his using a different Mfgr for powerplant.

MOmo
Old 11-12-2018, 11:52 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by MOmo
So this begs the Question ( And an IFMAR WORLDS carries differet weight, BUT - http://thequagraine.com/2017/04/18/try-traction/ )

Is there a scale of "Worse offense" when it comes to violating the whole "breach of contract" ?
If you want to go back, as JQ pointed out and TT eventually apologized for using competitors tires.

Running another brand tires vs using a different motor, how would you compare the two?
Also, all things being equal, should PL have CUT TT for his breach?

IMO RM has gotten the "bad boy" vibe/image from those in RC and I wonder how much that has played into the response to his using a different Mfgr for powerplant.

MOmo
You bring-up an interesting question.
From my perspective, there are a number of variables at play in a "cheating" situation, such as: does the offended manufacturer secretly know? What's the nature of the contractual relationship? What's the anticipated public perception if someone gets caught? How could it affect brand image for either party?

Also, there's a difference between doing it once and admitting fault (Tessmann) versus systematic violations across different manufacturers (Maifield.) Public perception is everything, and I fear that RM could seriously be shooting himself in the foot career-wise. I mean think about it: if you were a manufacturer and your (generously paid) driver has a reputation for breaching their agreements in order to gain a tactical advantage, how would you feel? Would you want to be associated with someone of such dubious loyalty? This is a family-oriented hobby, and because it's facing an important economic downturn, some hard choices are going to have to be made for many companies to remain afloat. The last thing anyone needs to do is put themselves on the wrong side of the chopping-block. Food for thought.
Old 11-12-2018, 12:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

In the end it's us the customers that pay for the stickers on the car, so not knowing anymore if someone is actually using the product they promote makes it really bad for that brand or driver. What's the point of winning a race for them anymore?
Old 11-12-2018, 12:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NitroVein
In the end it's us the customers that pay for the stickers on the car, so not knowing anymore if someone is actually using the product they promote makes it really bad for that brand or driver. What's the point of winning a race for them anymore?

Exactly!!!!
Old 11-12-2018, 12:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 105 (100%+)

Maifield still has the upper hand, he can pretty much go where he wants still. Besides we don’t know the true story. Just run the Ninja!!... Proline would have never gotten rid of TY, there is a close relationship there
MX304 likes this.
Old 11-12-2018, 02:14 PM
Tech Adept

Too bad about Ryan Maifield, I would say to me using a rivals engine seems worst then using a non-sponsored tires. I mean both are bad but i i do believe tires can be very track dependent, there are just times and weird situations that a certain compound with a particular tire design just gives a user so much advantage whether it be traction, speed or wear.
With the engine, i would think after using it for close to two years he should know the ins and outs of the powerband , tuning and the mileage. He has had some goof success with the engines so i don't know why its different this time. It sucks for Reds though they paid the guy for close to 2 years he chose to re-sign this year so Reds believed he was there top guy in the worlds but he pretty much stabbed them in the back, and basically implies Reds engines were not good enough for the Big Show.
Old 11-12-2018, 02:28 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by NitroVein
And if they run the right engine under the head, will it be the same one as we can buy in the shops or are they special made and modified?
J.Whiting and jersey like this.
Old 11-12-2018, 04:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Roelof
And if they run the right engine under the head, will it be the same one as we can buy in the shops or are they special made and modified?
Indeed so, but I could find that more forgiving as the mfg needs to develop things, and for something like the WC they might want to bring something special they have worked on.
But making this complete blunder is beyond stupid, would have been better to just run the damn OS and made up some excuse or terminated the contract before, as people generally want to see what's under the body of any winning car.
Old 11-12-2018, 04:58 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Is there a vid of RM slamming his radio? I didnt see it
Old 11-12-2018, 05:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by captain america
You bring-up an interesting question.

From my perspective, there are a number of variables at play in a "cheating" situation, such as: does the offended manufacturer secretly know? What's the nature of the contractual relationship? What's the anticipated public perception if someone gets caught? How could it affect brand image for either party?

Also, there's a difference between doing it once and admitting fault (Tessmann) versus systematic violations across different manufacturers (Maifield.) Public perception is everything, and I fear that RM could seriously be shooting himself in the foot career-wise. I mean think about it: if you were a manufacturer and your (generously paid) driver has a reputation for breaching their agreements in order to gain a tactical advantage, how would you feel? Would you want to be associated with someone of such dubious loyalty? This is a family-oriented hobby, and because it's facing an important economic downturn, some hard choices are going to have to be made for many companies to remain afloat. The last thing anyone needs to do is put themselves on the wrong side of the chopping-block. Food for thought.

I suppose, its difficult to know all the details.

-IF Maifield has the type of relationship with his Sponsors that he should (Giving feedback, constant communication etc) he would likely express any displeasure with his equipment.

(You'd think that both He and Drake, being knowledgable of Nitro Motors could properly break in a motor) and having resources at his disposal - Likely COULD be testing and comparing equipment with Other mfgrs for the best results.

Engine A vs B vs C

and evaluating the performance of each. Most Mfgrs expect and WANT feedback on their product good bad or indifferent. Helps them constantly improve and make adjustments to their product.

(Yokomo's YZ4-SF was designed and built exclusivly from feedback from RM for example) so any good company is going to listen to a top driver since they know what is going to work.

IF you know something isn't working or is constantly letting you down, Why wouldn't you use a product that will help you win.

If you were getting free product and still couldn't be competitive, it would be really hard to win ESP. if the MFGR is looking for those kinds of results.

MOmo
Old 11-12-2018, 05:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MOmo
I suppose, its difficult to know all the details.

-IF Maifield has the type of relationship with his Sponsors that he should (Giving feedback, constant communication etc) he would likely express any displeasure with his equipment.

(You'd think that both He and Drake, being knowledgable of Nitro Motors could properly break in a motor) and having resources at his disposal - Likely COULD be testing and comparing equipment with Other mfgrs for the best results.

Engine A vs B vs C

and evaluating the performance of each. Most Mfgrs expect and WANT feedback on their product good bad or indifferent. Helps them constantly improve and make adjustments to their product.

(Yokomo's YZ4-SF was designed and built exclusivly from feedback from RM for example) so any good company is going to listen to a top driver since they know what is going to work.

IF you know something isn't working or is constantly letting you down, Why wouldn't you use a product that will help you win.

If you were getting free product and still couldn't be competitive, it would be really hard to win ESP. if the MFGR is looking for those kinds of results.

MOmo
You wouldn't do this in the public eye of a major event like a Worlds Championship. You would do this on a private test day...

From what I have been told Maifield had been quite vocal all week about the performance of his REDS equipment.
Old 11-12-2018, 05:20 PM
Tech Master

Old 11-12-2018, 05:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

The really big question is really if IFMAR decided to tech based on persuasion, official complaint, or by default.
If it was by persuasion most organisations would kick them instantly, as then they are no longer governing the rules them self and can't be trusted to be in office.
Though I'm not entirely sure what the IFMAR rules says.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.