Search
Like Tree3Likes

Tips for Keeping Nitro Rc Indoors

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 07:11 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Tips for Keeping Nitro Rc Indoors

Hello, I was curious if anyone kept their nitro cars inside their houses like in a room or something - not necessarily a garage. I'm asking because i'm getting back into RC and plan on keeping my cars inside my bedrooms, yet remember the smell and leaking of fuel and wanted to know if anyone has tips on storage to help reduce this.
Old 10-12-2018, 05:07 PM
Tech Addict

Stick it all in boxes. In a shed or garage is better.
Old 10-13-2018, 10:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I do and have for years, most things are in plastic totes my fuel either sits in their cases or old milk crates. Id never store lipos, engines or fuel in a non controlled enviroment. Temperature change between day and night alone can cause allot of moisture to form.
Old 10-13-2018, 01:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

If your really serious about the safety side put your lipos outside in some kind of area that doesn’t get to hot, or get a lipo safe case or bag to store them inside but I still would keep them somewhere safer as they have been known to catch fire although very rarely, they more or less should be thrown out if they swell so there’s no risk. The fuel should have a decent seal, if not put in on top of wood in your garage in a bag in a dry place. Your engines are important to keep away from the elements but an Ogio bag and a decent garage can keep them safe from rust if u keep it above ground. Concrete is what I’ve always been told to keep my stuff off of since I was a little kid. I personally have my engines on carpet in a box in a room in the garage, never have I had a problem.
Old 10-14-2018, 05:57 AM
Tech Master

I keep mine inside and have no issue with smell from the fuel. I clean my vehicles after each race day as well as each use. I personally remove the fuel tanks and remove any fuel from the tank and the rinse them and the fuel lines with rubbing alcohol, as well as run after run oil through the engine. I store my fuel inside as well with no issues. As far as my receiver pacs I use LiFe pacs rather than LiPo.
Old 10-14-2018, 03:27 PM
Tech Adept

I have a traxxas soft lips bag for the lipos. Thanks for all the tips, they're going to be in my room on top of a wooden table so I'm good there! Only thing I'm curious is how you guys clean the tanks? I'm worried about water being left and getting into the engine!
Old 10-17-2018, 06:09 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I keep my rc stuff in the closet in my room, and don't have any issues with smell. I just brush off all of the loose dirt at the track. Like the other posters said, it is much better for all components involved to be stored in the air conditioning. As far as moisture in the fuel tank, I haven't had any issues with that. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to rinse the tank with a little bit of fuel before a day of racing, that should take care of any moisture there may be.
Old 10-17-2018, 12:58 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Solico
I have a traxxas soft lips bag for the lipos. Thanks for all the tips, they're going to be in my room on top of a wooden table so I'm good there! Only thing I'm curious is how you guys clean the tanks? I'm worried about water being left and getting into the engine!
use denatured alcohol .... it does not contain water ....

if you are going to run your cars within a month or so , i literally just drain the tank at the end of the run and call it good . NEVER rust inside my engines , when i use to run the engine out of fuel thats when i would see rust .

fuel.... keep in garage off the floor or in pantry or similar .
cleaning the cars with air compressor and some endust is the goods..... you will be amazed .

hope this helps
Old 10-17-2018, 01:14 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks for all the tips everyone!

Originally Posted by houston
use denatured alcohol .... it does not contain water ....

if you are going to run your cars within a month or so , i literally just drain the tank at the end of the run and call it good . NEVER rust inside my engines , when i use to run the engine out of fuel thats when i would see rust .

fuel.... keep in garage off the floor or in pantry or similar .
cleaning the cars with air compressor and some endust is the goods..... you will be amazed .

hope this helps
How do you drain the tank? I usually unplug the fuel line from the carb and exhaust and blow on it till the fuel squirts out haha
Old 10-17-2018, 03:34 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Solico
Thanks for all the tips everyone!

How do you drain the tank? I usually unplug the fuel line from the carb and exhaust and blow on it till the fuel squirts out haha
i usually just turn it upside down and open the lid ...... but what you are describing would work great as well
petersen114 likes this.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I keep my nitro buggy in my man cave along with my ebuggy. I only keep the fuel in the garage.

+1 on the air compressor :-)
Old 11-07-2018, 10:56 PM
Tech Apprentice

I keep mine in my living room on top of my entertainment center above my TV. I dump the tank out and clean my nitros with simple green after every run, so the only smell that comes from them is the scent from the cleaner. I do the same for my electrics. You can pick up my nitro trucks and they smell no different than my e-maxx does. it's all about cleaning them after a day of running. I also store my fuel inside the house and out of direct sunlight.
Old 11-08-2018, 07:36 AM
Tech Adept

Should one leave the piston at the top or bottom by turning over the flywheel? I've never remembered.
Old 11-08-2018, 11:56 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rjmakk
Should one leave the piston at the top or bottom by turning over the flywheel? I've never remembered.
Bottom
rjmakk likes this.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:43 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I never store with fuel in the model.
CedarCityJohnny likes this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.