High vs. low wing mount.

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 01:13 PM
Tech Master

Default High vs. low wing mount.

What does each provide?
Old 10-03-2018, 11:05 PM
Tech Adept

One provides a high wing and the other provides a low wing.
Old 10-04-2018, 06:38 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by wreckingball
One provides a high wing and the other provides a low wing.
Really??? So I guess they are strictly for looks and there is no performance gain or loss from one over the other!!??
Old 10-04-2018, 06:47 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

According to the Hudy setup book a higher wing increases stability at higher speeds and a low wing increases stability at lower speeds.
Old 10-04-2018, 06:52 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Another area that drivers tune with this is the fact of raising and lowering CG. Also pending the track conditions, i.e a faster track that needs some high speed stability,

Here is a video from Drake, hope this helps:

petersen114 and p.hat like this.
Old 10-04-2018, 07:37 AM
Tech Master

Thanks everyone. I was thinking this, but am still learning about certain things.
Old 10-04-2018, 08:19 AM
Tech Champion

No worries, that is why we all come here to learn and help as we can.
petersen114, Pedro Jesus and JC3 like this.
Old 10-04-2018, 10:44 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

A higher wing or increased angle of attack is going to give you more downforce.
Depending on your wing choice you may have to go with a higher wing mount to get a wing to work on you car.

My RC8B3 came with a flat wing and I ran the low wing mount.

I put a Proline Trifecta wing on and it hit the tires on suspension compression because the center mounting area of the Trifecta wing is raised, effectively lowering the wing, even lower than it was before. So I put on the high wing mount for the car, and the actual wing is now at about the same height it was before, and it does not hit the tires.
petersen114 likes this.
Old 10-04-2018, 01:14 PM
Tech Elite

Downforce is too small to be considered. The wing does influence the attitude of the car during jumps mainly. Depends on the angle of attack and shape, you should always aim to have the right results with the least drag.
Old 10-04-2018, 01:46 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by largeorangefont
A higher wing or increased angle of attack is going to give you more downforce.
Depending on your wing choice you may have to go with a higher wing mount to get a wing to work on you car.

My RC8B3 came with a flat wing and I ran the low wing mount.

I put a Proline Trifecta wing on and it hit the tires on suspension compression because the center mounting area of the Trifecta wing is raised, effectively lowering the wing, even lower than it was before. So I put on the high wing mount for the car, and the actual wing is now at about the same height it was before, and it does not hit the tires.
lol....
Same Boat
Old 10-04-2018, 03:05 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by 30Tooth
Downforce is too small to be considered. The wing does influence the attitude of the car during jumps mainly. Depends on the angle of attack and shape, you should always aim to have the right results with the least drag.
I would say, the down force does matter, hence why Delta and Hot Race started making their bodies with winged transitions. Not to mention driving a buggy or truggy without a wing can be a handful. Altitude and angle of attack mid air is controlled with brake and gas depending on how you want your car. I would doubt that there would be so much time spent on wing development if it were just an accessory. Heck they even run front nose wings in 1/8.
petersen114 likes this.

Last edited by 1/8 IC Fan; 10-05-2018 at 03:59 AM.
Old 10-05-2018, 04:29 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by 1/8 IC Fan
I would say, the down force does matter, hence why Delta and Hot Race started making their bodies with winged transitions. Not to mention driving a buggy or truggy without a wing can be a handful. Altitude and angle of attack mid air is controlled with brake and gas depending on how you want your car. I would doubt that there would be so much time spent on wing development if it were just an accessory. Heck they even run front nose wings in 1/8.
It's the down section of the wing that produces downforce, being blocked by the shock tower, shocks and wing support you can bet that all you feel is the weight of the wing helping the rear settling down.

Nose wings too, they are air deflectors not wings, any aero device needs airflow to work. About the bodies I can't speak as I don't know them but same rule applies.
Old 10-05-2018, 12:56 PM
am
Tech Master

On my TKI4 i use the TKI3 mount. It is a little bit lower. I feel this gives me a more stable car and it makes it easier to drive in the long run. Kyosho says the TKI4 wingmount is a high traction mount, I think; its because the higher wing makes the rear end roll more and this gives the car more rotation. At our last race i took of the guernystrip on the TKI4 wing. It helped rotate more and gave me the extra rotation i needed.
Old 10-06-2018, 05:32 PM
Tech Master

I feel a high wing mount had more rotation into corners and more rear traction on power.....low wing mount less corner entry rotation and more onpower steering or less rear traction........
Old 10-11-2018, 02:32 PM
Tech Addict

There is downforce. It does matter and does make a difference.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.