Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Tires, Expensive but what pattern for what kind of tracks? >

Tires, Expensive but what pattern for what kind of tracks?

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By underway

Tires, Expensive but what pattern for what kind of tracks?

Old 09-20-2018, 02:00 AM
Tech Adept

Default Tires, Expensive but what pattern for what kind of tracks?

What tyre pattern to do people use for certain track types?
some seem to prefer hotshots/gridirons where as someone else would chose zips on a hardpacked track with some dust/grooving.

Slipperly black groove pattern?
Blue groove high grip pattern?
you get my point

Personally im looking for some to run on a low grip grooved track that has dust aswell
Old 09-20-2018, 02:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I may be stuck in the 90s but I love bowties from pro line. Any tire with that set up has always been my favorite. I come from dirtbikes and I always love how simalar the center pattern is being spaced with lugs everywhere on the outsides. Performs everywhere really well. If it gets really grooved I may change to an impact from aka. I have a lot of tires saved up including the losi version of the bow tie that is actually probably my favorite tire for 10 minute on any surface but they deteriorate fast. Ibeams also are incredible, probably my favorite tire all around, the lugs are big but they just work very well. I do have a lot of gridiron sniper holeshot kingpin that I use for one runs that make the car a bit faster to drive but the lugs burn up so fast I couldnít really imagine using them in a long race unless the terrain allowed it. If your looking for a great high speed grippy tire then impacts, but if itís slow the bow tie seem to really give u a pivot advantage with great pick up out of corners. Even high speed tracks with high grip a harder bow tie rocks. I havnt really experimented with the new crop of tires but Iím sure they have a lot of grip with all the new compounds and patterns but I like to stick to what I know is a fast tire. Small pin tires always have a faster pace but like I said with wear u have to find the trade off. Thatís why I pic bows, they allow u to still be on a fast tire that lasts. Then the impacts are just flat out a high speed track tire.

to go further on what I mean as a fast tire I can easy explain threw the feeling of a city block/caliper type tire, although they are probably right up there as one of the best comfort tires that make your car feel great, they just are not a fast tire. They are a tire u put on when your car isnít right or your tire choices arenít working, comfort tire that gets the job done by getting you around the track without really fighting. If im racing Iím looking for a fast tire and I know I need to have my set up as close to work as I can the faster the tire allows me to go.
Old 12-28-2018, 11:55 PM
Tech Adept

anymore info anyone? how does one choose what tyres
Old 12-29-2018, 12:56 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by iplaygames View Post
anymore info anyone? how does one choose what tyres
You aren't getting many answers because tires are just like suspension set up - what works for one person may not work at all for someone else. Best way to figure it out is to ask fast locals what they use, try those, and experiment from there.
Old 12-29-2018, 01:15 AM
Tech Regular

If you look on aka site I think they have explanation chart on what works on what. But then again itís mainly what you like. Some people like more traction then others. When it comes down to it practice and testing is the best way to find what you like on different surfaces. But yea look on that site Iím pretty they have a chart some other sites might have description of what tire is good in
Old 12-29-2018, 10:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Best bet is go to your local track on a race day and see what the top guys are running. That's the easiest route.
Old 12-29-2018, 12:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I have been able to use fugitive lites on most outdoor tracks. The foams will eventually soften too much and the tires get weird at that point but they still last a lot longer than holeshots for me. I think double down is the aka equivalent. The foams in those should outlast the tread. At that point it is a question of compound.
Old 01-03-2019, 11:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

Holeshot/Blockade OR Gridiron II/Impact and you are pretty safe at 95% of dirt tracks.
hyperfuxx and mlinder like this.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

can't go wrong with Blockades.
Old 01-06-2019, 10:45 AM
Tech Rookie

So generally speaking, you want a smaller pin tire for hard packed dirt and a bigger pin for loose dirt. Compound plays a large role in determining the best tire. Temperature changes might affect compound choice, with my general idea being to use as soft as I can get away with unless the temperature is pretty high, then I might want to go to a harder compound. These are general rules of thumb only. Like said before, ask around for the best tire and check your laptimes with those. Try other similar tires and compounds to see if your laps improve, this goes for consistency as well. Don't be afraid to change it up, I've had faster laps with a pretty hard tire when everybody was swearing by super softs.